Newbie question about interchanges

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
fr8fiend
Railroadfan...fan

Newbie question about interchanges

Unread post by fr8fiend »

Hi all,

I recently visited the CSX/GLC interchange in Howell, and I’m wondering if there are any other spots like this where the trains are laid up for a while and not moving? Hoping to get some cool photos of different types of cars like various boxcars or autoracks.

In general, is an interchange typically what I’m looking for? Does every interchange have a line laid up?

Thanks in advance!

Fr8fiend

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Newbie question about interchanges

Unread post by GRHC »

Well I’m sure somebody will give you an answer better than what I can give you but I’ll try. In the area that I live which is West Michigan most of the interchanging of cars is done within the yards of the various railroads. For example the Hamilton Northwestern interchanges cars with the CSX and the Hamilton Northwestern brings them right into Waverly yard in Holland Michigan. The same goes for the Michigan Shore. I’m sure there may be other situations like you witnessed in Howell and I’m sure somebody can fill you in on those.

fr8fiend
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for that info! I liked the spot in Howell because you’re able to get close-ish to the train without trespassing, but I’m not sure if that’s really possible in a yard. Either way, I appreciate your comment :D hopefully someone else will come along with insight into what’s going on at the Howell interchange and if there are any other similar spots nearby. Cheers!

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

One would think it's a better idea to just stand on a sidewalk near where a busier railroad crosses a road, and take photos of the various boxcars/autoracks that go by. Watch a class 1 railroad around a city where speeds are typically slower, or a shortline railroad. Would see a higher total number of cars than trying to find accessible railcars that are parked for days.
Interchanges between railroads are indeed often in yards, and they don't really want folk close to their cars that aren't within railroad employee sights.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

fr8fiend
Railroadfan...fan

Thank you. While I do enjoy filming and watching them, I struggle with getting quality photos when the trains are rolling, so really just looking for some places that they’re stopped for a while. I appreciate your comment though

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

fr8fiend wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:26 pm
Thank you. While I do enjoy filming and watching them, I struggle with getting quality photos when the trains are rolling, so really just looking for some places that they’re stopped for a while. I appreciate your comment though
Practice…
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

fr8fiend wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm
Hi all,

I recently visited the CSX/GLC interchange in Howell, and I’m wondering if there are any other spots like this where the trains are laid up for a while and not moving? Hoping to get some cool photos of different types of cars like various boxcars or autoracks.

In general, is an interchange typically what I’m looking for? Does every interchange have a line laid up?

Thanks in advance!

Fr8fiend
Hi Fr8fiend, you mentioned Howell and I’m not sure if that is near home for you, but I might recommend Durand as a place you should check out. The depot right at the diamond offers a lot of different vantage points in each direction. While there is not the type of interchange track where cars tend to stand for long periods of time as in Howell, wye tracks are located in 3 of the 4 quadrants of the diamond. Trains that take any of the wyes go slow enough you’ll have no problem capturing the details. The yard to the north of the diamond is served by CN, and shortlines GLC and HESR, so there’s lots of variety of locomotives and types of freight cars. And, you can practice your skills at faster train photography with hot shots on the Chicago-Port Huron mainline which roll by at a good clip. Just a thought!

fr8fiend
Railroadfan...fan

Hey there - that sounds like a really great spot to get some practice in! I’m only about 30 minutes away from Durand, so I’ll definitely be checking it out. Thanks a lot!