SRI's North Pole Express - 2023

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

SRI's North Pole Express - 2023

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

I received this electronic mail correspondence the other day and thought I should pass it along:

Hello Friends of the Steam Railroading Institute –

The moment you have been waiting for is about to arrive! We are pleased to announce that tickets for the 2023 North Pole Express will be available for you to purchase beginning at 12:00 noon, Tuesday, July 25th, Happy Christmas in July!

Detailed descriptions, pricing, and frequently asked questions regarding our North Pole Express trips can be found on our website https://michigansteamtrain.com/north-pole-express/ . We encourage you to review the information on the website now and decide on your travel dates and level of service, prior to beginning the purchasing process on Tuesday. The “Book Now” ticketing link on that webpage will be open on Tuesday, July 25th, at 12:00 noon.

Motive Power and Pere Marquette 1225: Because of the hard work of our Staff and Volunteers, this year's North Pole Express is scheduled for steam power, and 1225's running gear rebuild is scheduled to be finished in time for North Pole Express! However, as always, SRI reserves the right to substitute power if we are unable to use 1225 due to unforseen circumstances.

New for 2023: Private Holiday Party in the Parlour Car! We are excited to be offering a First Class Pere Marquette Parlour Car for your company or family! Perfect for a business holiday party or a large family gathering. Generally, this car is sold as an adult-only car with individual seats, but for a limited time before regular ticket sales open, we are excited to offer this entire lounge car at $5000 for your party of up to 36 guests in upper-level seating (additional stairs required). Children will be welcome to board when booking the private car, and bar service will continue to be available. If you are interested in reserving one of these cars for your company or your group, please call to book at 989-720-3957 before 5:00 pm on July 24th.

dalek ling
Railroadfan...fan

Re: SRI's North Pole Express - 2023

Unread post by dalek ling »

They are also doing a football train from Owosso to CMU sometime in September
The 15 year old railfan from Michigan :P And the only one who believes in A2TC
Youtube- Dalek Ling
Instagram- dalekling1212

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

September 9th. CMU vs New Hampshire.

It's the football home opener.

Delray
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Delray »

They are also supposed to make a run to Monroe at the end of September. However, 1225 is still up on blocks. The wheel sets are back in the shop finally

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

Delray wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:16 pm
However, 1225 is still up on blocks. The wheel sets are back in the shop finally
The drivers were in the shop when I was there last fall. What wheel sets are you talking about?

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

BnOEngr wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:29 am
Delray wrote:
However, 1225 is still up on blocks. The wheel sets are back in the shop finally
The drivers were in the shop when I was there last fall. What wheel sets are you talking about?
Front and rear wheels

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

GTW6401 wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:14 pm

Here are the details on the CMU train on September 9th. Says it is diesel powered.
https://cmuchippewas.com/news/2023/7/13 ... ept-9.aspx

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Mark F wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:24 pm
GTW6401 wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:14 pm

Here are the details on the CMU train on September 9th. Says it is diesel powered.
https://cmuchippewas.com/news/2023/7/13 ... ept-9.aspx
Most likely will run behind 57. That unit, per the SRI website is on lease for 5 years, until the Spring of 2028.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

chapmaja wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:28 am
Most likely will run behind 57. That unit, per the SRI website is on lease for 5 years, until the Spring of 2028.
Do we have anyone on here that’s run the 57? If so, is it a good locomotive?
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Tickets went on sale about an hour ago. My brother is trying to get tickets.. got "server unavailable" every 2 minutes he tried until 12:35pm. Was number 4037 in line when he finally got the site to load. 4000 other requests in front...
I just tried at 1:16pm, and says I'm #3474.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

must have had more people bailing than on a sinking ship.
no surprise about the demand.
they got detroit media to run the story.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Bro says he finally got to #1 in line, showed the available seats, and everything is sold out except for single seats in different cars, no group of 3 seats together for his family. Crazy how quickly that sells out. Me thinks they might want to start a couple mid-week runs if they can manage it, or some more Monday or Friday runs. I'm still #1688 in line.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

thatcheb
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by thatcheb »

Please bear in mind that the vast majority of SRI personnel are volunteers. On North Pole Express, they go on duty about 8:00 am and off duty about 11:00 pm. That's every Saturday and Sunday for five weekends, plus the one trip on the day after Thanksgiving.

Also, Great Lakes Central is a busy freight railroad with its own customers to service. Any additional passenger train operations would need to fit in and among all those freight trains.

It's not like renting a van (or chartering a bus) and going for a drive on a public highway.
Bob Thatcher

dalek ling
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dalek ling »

~Z~ wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:55 pm
Bro says he finally got to #1 in line, showed the available seats, and everything is sold out except for single seats in different cars, no group of 3 seats together for his family. Crazy how quickly that sells out. Me thinks they might want to start a couple mid-week runs if they can manage it, or some more Monday or Friday runs. I'm still #1688 in line.
That’s what happened with my family, it was so bad, I had to sit by myself for like half the trip, but the workers were really helpful and I guess a family of 4 didn’t get on the train, so there was an open spot, and they moved our whole family to that spot for free. They didn’t felt comfortable with a kid sitting with strangers.

And with both the NPX and this football train selling out, it shows people are still interested in stuff like this, which is great for business opportunities in the future
The 15 year old railfan from Michigan :P And the only one who believes in A2TC
Youtube- Dalek Ling
Instagram- dalekling1212

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Delray wrote:
They are also supposed to make a run to Monroe at the end of September. However, 1225 is still up on blocks. The wheel sets are back in the shop finally
I believe they are still waiting on the drive wheel boxes and wedges. The last post I saw consisted of 1225's wedges being machined in house.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)