Lots to complain about in kalamazoo

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Lots to complain about in kalamazoo

Unread post by redside20 »

Especially when it comes to a rail customer with good paying jobs

https://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/20 ... rhood.html
Exit stage left

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Lots to complain about in kalamazoo

Unread post by ~Z~ »

There are houses within 1/4 mile of the water treatment plant and the factory.. at least the wind is probably generally out of the west so they don't get the smell all the time, but sorry, you bought a home there, smell isn't going to be great. Limit the pollution, sure, but foul smells... hard to fix.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

redside20

was the factory there before the houses?
Exit stage left

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dowagiac Train Dude »

redside20 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:10 pm
Hard to say honestly. This neighborhood was originally built by the Dutch that came to the area a long time ago. I am not sure when the company originally built there but this area and the area just to the north used to be a bunch of factories. Some of the buildings are still there but Graphic Packaging has pretty much bought everything on N Pitcher St between Paterson and Mosel. Wright Coating Technologies is the only business left on that stretch that isn’t owned by GP. The business and the neighborhood is separated by the NS line that goes north to Grand Rapids. The neighborhood people didn’t start complaining until the company received a tax credit to add on to their business.

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

Dowagiac Train Dude wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:03 pm
redside20 wrote:
Hard to say honestly. This neighborhood was originally built by the Dutch that came to the area a long time ago. I am not sure when the company originally built there but this area and the area just to the north used to be a bunch of factories. Some of the buildings are still there but Graphic Packaging has pretty much bought everything on N Pitcher St between Paterson and Mosel. Wright Coating Technologies is the only business left on that stretch that isn’t owned by GP. The business and the neighborhood is separated by the NS line that goes north to Grand Rapids. The neighborhood people didn’t start complaining until the company received a tax credit to add on to their business.
The Checker Motors plant (taxi cab builders) were just north what is now Graphic Packaging. If you look at the Google Maps satellite image you can see some of the old trackage that the construction hadn't as of then removed. That has been an industrial area for a good long time.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

redside20 wrote:
The site Graphic Packaging occupies was occupied by Sutherland Paper Co. long before most people living in the area were born. Some of the houses may predate the mill. I suspect many of the homes west of Pitcher Street were built to house mill workers.

redside20

while were on the subject of GPI and kalamazoo.

This is going to affect the grand elk in a negative way. for the expansion of the new addition im told will not accommodate inbound shipped resin by rail and there will be no outbound shipments by rail as well. There will still be inbound clay shipments by rail and there could be an added plus of inbound waste paper. the resin will most likely be truck in from a transload somewhere. Most likely from the LC Howard warehouse served by CN.
Exit stage left

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

It’s a shame all of those companies along that line around Mosel closed and no longer take shipments by rail. They still use that siding along Pitcher to the north of Mosel to store covered hoppers. My father in-law talks about that area and if I am remembering right, he said that a lot of the mill workers lived in those houses west of Pitcher like you mentioned.

On a side note, does anyone know if the new building being built in Parchment is going to take rail service? It’s along the same spur that services GPI but north of Mosel.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Dowagiac Train Dude wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:56 pm

On a side note, does anyone know if the new building being built in Parchment is going to take rail service? It’s along the same spur that services GPI but north of Mosel.
https://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/20 ... et_to.html

This article from a few years ago discusses LC Howard’s acquisition of the Parchment property you mention. I know they are building (maybe it’s done?) a giant warehouse type facility that yes is right along the northern most remaining part of the LS&MS. LC Howard knows the value of rail….but they also have several other Kzoo area facilities that already have rail service. Guess we need someone to see if any loading docks have been built.

In the meantime, the Georgia Pacific former Crown Vantage plant mentioned in the article did use to receive the occasional railcar……boxcars, I think. I’m not sure if the spur was retained when LC reconfigured the building for their use after 2015. I hope one of the buildings up there will continue to offer the possibility of rail. Otherwise it’s just the end of another spur line with a bridge and busy road crossing that probably won’t stick around much longer…

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Thank you for your response GP30.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I think these were two separate plants. I'd have to look them up to get addresses. The G-P plant received resin/wax and the CV plant paper rolls.
GP30M4216 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:36 am
In the meantime, the Georgia Pacific former Crown Vantage plant...
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: while were on the subject of GPI and kalamazoo.

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

redside20 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:37 pm
This is going to affect the grand elk in a negative way. for the expansion of the new addition im told will not accommodate inbound shipped resin by rail and there will be no outbound shipments by rail as well. There will still be inbound clay shipments by rail and there could be an added plus of inbound waste paper. the resin will most likely be truck in from a transload somewhere. Most likely from the LC Howard warehouse served by CN.
That’s too bad if this enormous, expanded facility won’t receive any additional railroad traffic, but as long as the current traffic is sustained, there will still be a reason for Grand Elk to head up to North Yard a few times a week. In the past, occasional boxcars of waste paper would be delivered to G-P Plant No. 6 on the east side of the yard. Does this still happen?

I keep checking Google Maps to see if they have updated imagery of the new G-P facilities, but no update yet.

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

I do too GP30M4216. Google maps are really slow to update. Next time I'm over on the West side of Michigan, I'm going to drive up there and investigate.

If someone else were to do so before I can make it over there, please let us know what you see.

Thanks.

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

Wasn't there talks (very very briefly) about using Mosel Yard and laying rail south to the north side of Graphic's plants? Thus eliminating the diamond next to BO?

On another note....these NIMBY's that complain about the smell....that mill has been there for years. Most likely the smell has actually improved over the years due to modern pollution/fume upgrades. I agree that it shouldn't get worse but if you don't like it, don't move there. You signed up for that when you signed the mortgage/lease. I mean, cmon....they literally moved in next to a waste water treatment facility!

Whats next??
Patrick Welch

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Connecting the GR&I with the NYC around Mosel and wye on the north east quadrant at BO would have eliminated a dozen or so grade crossings and 303's reverse moves through downtown. Unfortunately the crossovers on the mainline won't support it now.

On the odors they are talking about hydrogen sulfide which is a toxic gas. Just because they can't afford to move to Portage or Oshtemo doesn't mean they waive the right to address of grievances.