Stone trains, Signmasters, and go carts - 08/30/06

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Stone trains, Signmasters, and go carts - 08/30/06

Unread post by ~Z~ »

After having forgot to grab my scanner that was on the charger yesterday, railfanning yesterday was just blank with no radio chatter. I did see a little bit of MOW, but how less informed I felt while railfanning was surprising. I remembered to grab that scanner today at least, and glad I did. As I was headed through Jenison, the sun was out, with a heavy contrast to the dark sky ahead. I actually said out loud "Nice contrasting sky...too bad there's the MOW curfew in effect."

Strolling past Jenison at 8:40am, the sun now goes and hides behind the clouds... just as this happens, I hear K910-26(four days old, kinda odd) clear a pair at Hudsonville. I keep heading along, and pull off the road just past Port Sheldon. Hop out, and get a shot of them going past the whistle post for Port Sheldon Rd. Had HLCX 8141 up front, with a LMS blue 7920 unit trailing. Approx 35 cars of stone for Grand Rapids.

For those out around Hudsonville, the MOW forces have torn up the crossings for 48th Ave, 64th Ave, and 72nd Ave, three crossings in a row. These are some of the busier crossings out on this stretch, but at least 40th Ave in Hudsonville was finally finished and is open to traffic.
Last edited by ~Z~ on Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Had a most excellent day to round the day up on Wednesday. As soon as I left for lunch, heard the defect detector at MP19.1 in Zeeland sound off. 8 axles... then off again, and off again.. Drove by, and sure enough, there's a maintainer working on it. As I drove towards TB, heard all sorts of dragging equipment, hot boxes, errors and such, fun to listen to. MOW forces were sitting out in from of the Taco Fiesta, watching me eat my lunch, but no work for them to do...waiting on other MOW ahead of them to finish up.

At the end of the day, skies started to clear up, and I was off towards Wyoming Yard. Had a feeling that Signmasters might still be in the area so I headed there. Stopped by the west end of the yard first, where a loaded coal train was set to depart...never did end up moving.

While at the west end, heard Q335 get a signal to come past Plaster Creek, so I was off to Judd. Here I spotted a couple people, including Signmasters and Kirk<sp>? Here comes Q335, conductors door open, and photos getting taken. As they started to pass by, it's none other than Woot Woot riding along, so got a couple photos of him. Chatted with Signmasters and Kirk for a while, along with FanByCycle from Dale's site. Very odd to have three people down there, talking about pictures and stories from my website :) Got a few photos of the back of Signmaster's truck as well. Watched the yard job with the pumpkin drone on it, CSXT 9119, kicking cars.

On a quite odd note, we did see an odd movement in the yard. Down Judd St comes a kid on a gaspowered go-cart, with a minivan full of teenagers, sliding door open. They head right down the service drive and into the yard. Drove their way through, got to the far end of the east side of the yard, turn around, and they actually came back through! Got lots of pictures of them, including their license plate, if anyone should need it.

Nothing else was moving around, but was a good chat. Headed out close to 8pm, saw NS working at the GRE on the way home. Thanks for the fun time guys.
Last edited by ~Z~ on Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Webmaster

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

I saw the NS deliver to the GRE from inside the Lear property. The developer had an "open house" for the "neighbors" last night. I was out back checking out where the tracks went into Lear and Evans Products when the NS showed up. There was a lot of rail infrastructure there at one time.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I've been looking for a good place near Ann St to get photos of NS when they go just north of the diamond to do their work...is this area around Lear open during "non-open house" hours? Is there any other spot one can stand to get photos that you know of?
Webmaster

signmasters
Railroadfan...fan

Great Time

Unread post by signmasters »

I had a great time in GR the fans there are great everyone talked to us, I sat and talked to R. Hall for about two hours I took 93 photos and have 19 I have uploaded. Judd street is so great I'm afraid they might start coming there for spring break instead of going to Florida, than we will have surf boards girls with bikini everyehere we wouldn't be able to get a clear shot of the trains and with all that foreground clutter RP.nut will never take any photos. The day was to short, thank you all, we loved Grand Rapids and we will be back.

PS: Zack I will bring a go-cart next time that seems to be the way to go.
Last edited by signmasters on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
A great photographer can make a great photo out of any kind of light from any angle at any time, life is not a studio! There is no such thing as bad light.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

ehehe, the go-cart... I updated my posts with some pictures. Good meeting you signmasters, and let me know when you get those new signs added to the truck.
Webmaster

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Zach: The rear of the Lear plant is all over grown - I could barely see the engine or cars through the brush. The only public places for north of Ann are either Ann Street or Turner. I've sat in the Havalind lot to watch them with no problem but I rarely get out of the car. Theres another gravel lot behind a die shop just south of Padnos but you have to walk throught the field to get near the tracks.

I was motioned over to a Conrail engine there one time while sitting in the Havalind lot (only time ever for Conrail). The crew wanted to know if I'd like to see inside the engine :) We visited a bit and then they got the SB green. I climbed down and stood with my daughter in my arms (she's now 24 - tells you how long ago that was :lol: )in her pink snowsuit and we waved goodby as they accelerated south. As I put her in the carseat I noted lots of black diesel soot specks on the pink. Momma was NOT happy (Don Simon?). I spent the next hour in the garage cleaning the snowsuit :(

Back to the photos - I've walked down the ROW on the west (NS) side without problems. I'd say if you set up there to photograph them coming into the siding, no one will say anything. If I walk home from work, I'll cut down the tracks from Richmond to Ann. I've waved to the NS crew, even stopped to ask them if Scott was working GR or the granny :) . When Marquette derailed between Ann & Turner earlier this year, I walked down there a couple nights to see what was happening and the CSX crews didn't say anything. I did stay west of the NS tracks and away from the CSX main.

When they had the bumper traffic, they would come between 4 and 5 almost like clockwork. Now - pretty irregular anytime between 5 and 9, if they even come.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Raildude's Dad - Sounds like our wives have something in common :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Oh yeah!!!! Must be I haven't done too bad of a job keeping her happy (most of the time) - it will be 31 years next month "it's an endurance contest and she ain't winning :) (Don't let her know I said that :lol: )