Grand Rapids and CHICAGO trip - 06/23/06

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Grand Rapids and CHICAGO trip - 06/23/06

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Couple things going on in Grand Rapids this morning. While on the good 'ol commute, heard both Q326 and Q327 working in Wyoming Yard. Q327 was out at Lamar getting some headroom while switching out it's cars. Q326 was getting an airtest done. EOT was showing at 125 pounds, but the guys from the car shop thought that was wrong, and it was. Needed to get a new EOT, none sitting around. Sounds like they were going to take the EOT off of Q327, and bring it to Q326 who was almost ready to leave, leaving Q327 to sit and hope one gets some new batteries, or another train stops in with one they could take.
There was also a D802 i believe, they just gave back the roost and power blocks so they could get their empties up at West Olive. Gotta love all the coal trains that have been running lately.

On another note, for those who didn't see in the shoutbox, I'm heading down to drop my car off in Kzoo this evening(friday) and scooterb's pickin me up there to head to chicago for the weekend. Doubtful on going to Rochelle now, but hopefully going to Joliet, Blue Island, Dolton, Lagrane, Brighton Park maybe, and up somewhere along UP's provisio yard. Probably stopping somewhere in Indiana on the way back, and will be back sometime Sunday... don't destroy the board while i'm gone; I'll have my backup admin trying to monitor things while I'm out. Have fun all! :)
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Hey Zack, have fun on your trip! If you're going near Proviso yard, definantly railfan at the Metra station in Elmhurst. On my Chicago trip I saw tons of trains coming in and out of Proviso all day.

Well, haven't seen to much here at work today. Saw a CGFX SD40-2 and a CSX 70MAC (I swear the same two I saw head east yesterday with that stone train) head light eastbound at roughly 11:30. Heard the Y106 (is that correct for the local's symbol, Dok?) but never saw it. Then at about 1:00 saw 2 UP SD70M's head east with a fairly long train, either Q326 or Q334, I suppose.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

The UP Train is more than likely Q326. I'll know in about 20 more minutes when they arrive in Lansing.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

AWESOME LUNCH!!!
Just got in the car for lunch, when I heard
D801-23 say that they were heading south, just
getting into the Power block. I take off and grab
my food at BK. Figured I'd have enough time to
grab that, and head down on Lakewood Blvd near
Wesco in Holland. They weren't there yet, so I
headed further north, trying to scout out a better
photo angle. James St was too busy and bad side areas... Didn't find what I wanted, so headed north again to Riley Rd.
Saw the train out in the distance. Parked, got
in position, and saw something nice and rare
leading. We had a KCS 4623 on the point, with
BNSF 9801 trailing. Lots of empties behind them.
Was glad I picked a spot up there to shoot from,
because it turns out D801 was going to get a crew change at the depot in Holland, then head south from there. There are two other coal trains heading north on the west side. One was getting a new crew at Grand Junction and needed to put their train back together. There's a second coal train heading east(north) down near St Joseph, they thought it would die at Wells.
All in all, awesome lunch.
Webmaster

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

KCS 4623 & BNSF 9801 were on an Empty coal train from Saginaw to Grand Rapids last night. E945-22 was the symbol.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

4884, the GCFX SD40/CSX SD70AC set that you saw is K909-23. They just arrived in Lansing a short time ago, and they are currently sitting at the stone place next to Ensel yard. Look for these two units to return west later with an empty stone train.
Q326 is still in the DTC blocks west of Lansing, and Q335 is also on the way west at this time. EDIT: Q335 passed Trowbridge at 3:01 PM with BNSF 7675 & 7800.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Went to the yard tonight and saw K909 come in. 3 yard jobs were all busy, I forget the symbol's but one had an MP15 and switched the BIDS while we were there.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Updated with a photo of D802 with KCS 4623 on the point:

Webmaster