MMRR Helpers

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

MMRR Helpers

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Anyone catch the helpers on MMRR today? Well, okay...they weren't really helpers, but there was operating power on both ends of the train. 2 crews too. Due to the storms last night, when the Waverly turn arrived at the bridge, they found out it wasn't working, so they called it a night there. Then around noon on Tuesday MMRR GP9 180 ran light down to pull the train in. I'm not sure if 180 did any work but I know the GP38's did on the rear. JollyJohn was holding down the rear in MMRR 3836. The train stopped at the old CSX/MS diamond to pick up a short string of loaded sand hoppers. The GP38's then became mid-train helpers the rest of the to North Yard. I took pictures and will post them later.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

And everyone was saying that you had dropped off the face of the earth. Welcome back Bob! :D

Question, do you know what time the train to Freemont leaves North Yard. Me and my friend were hoping to catch it sometime and get some shots of the 3836 leading North and and the good 'ole 3839 leading south.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

WELCOME BACK MR. TOPS!!

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

The Earth

I'm still on the earth. Just went through a move and am waiting to get internet. So probably won't have pictures up for a few days. And yes, I shall post more often, have an update for the site. I did update the site among my absence here. Although that was even over a month ago...wow. Hehehehe. Long hours at work as well. Sorry for all of the unanswered messages...

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Last nights outbound Waverly Turn was 52 cars. That's with both nights trains combined. But none-the-less, the longest I've seen it (in MMRR time). Power was 3836/3839.

Like I said in my previous post, I don't have internet yet. I am working on it. I usually check here at the club house at the apartments where I live, and also at work...while on break, of course.

From the apartments where I live, the MMRR (former CSX Fremont/Montague Sub) train tracks are only about a half-mile to the east of me. Last night, right when I was getting out of the Jeep after getting home from work, I heard the Waverly Turn highballing after working Bay...got back in the Jeep and went and saw them. It's nice being so close you can hear them, but not so close that it's a nuisance.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

My guess is that you live in those newer Hampton Apartments near Farr Rd and Grand Haven rd...am i correct?
My fiance's sister lives there, and I did get to hear MMRR one night while i was over there.
It is great living close to a line like that...i used to have that at Jenison, but now in Comstock park, by the time I hear Marquette Rail, it's usually between 1-5am and a decent drive through the dark to see them.
Thanks for the updates sir.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

I think you just got scared after having to show you face, riding a bike, and now everyone knows your not that old. LOL. Nice to here from you again.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

LOL...I used to ride my bike to see the train ALL THE TIME. But that was YEARS ago, Matt...lol

Zack...you are close enough (which is actually VERY CLOSE considering I didn't really give that much info lol)...about another block down the road there is a spot called Shoreline Landing. That's the new pad. Close to work too.

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

SGVY will be joining ya'll there on the MMRR after her rebuild. that'll give the MMRR 6 units

C&O6088
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6088 »

Welcome back Mr. Tops. I too have missed your MMRR updates and pics.

C&O

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Patrick, word has it GP9 179 is gone. What is the SGVY unit again? Refresh my memory...it's been a while...

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

gone as in scrapped?? 998 is a SW900 or SW1200. i think its a 1200.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Is this the unit you're talking about. It's SCXY, not SGVY. http://conrail-jon.rrpicturearchives.ne ... 0_0191.jpg

The SCXY unit is a GP7u, currently sitting in Greenville without trucks as a parts unit for the MMRR 24. My advise for MMRR, rebuild the GP7u, transfer it and MMRR 24 to Muskegon, and send GR 3839 back to GRE
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Don't ever bet on seeing your 3839 back over in GR again, bigboy...lol. Patrick...I don't know about the 179. 180 is back on the road, so my guess is they gutted 179 to fix 180. I haven't been down to the engine house at night to be able to see in it, but it might be gone getting fixed somewhere. I don't know why we'd need another switcher over here. We've got plenty of power as it is. I'm not sure if they've been using 73 either. Today they were using 3839 on the Nugent job.

RRTracks
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RRTracks »

Well, I was able to get a look at things a little closer in the MS barn in Roosevelt Park, and by golly, the 179 is still there! Looks like it may be in one piece yet too! Unfortunately, vision of it from Broadway Ave. is perfectly obscured by the MS 73 which hasn't turned a wheel in a month, or better that I"m aware of....savin it for an emergency, or broke down? Dunno! The 180 has been staged in Roosevelt Park since last week, and I just took a dash down the street to see it, with E.B. at the throttle, shaggin sand from Nugent. You guys over to the East......don't look to get your 38's back anytime soon.....they're the only thing that seems to run with any kind of regularity (whatever that may be) over here in Muskey.
The Z627 (Waverly turn) has been making better time of late, they're are usually Northbound at the Ferrysburg bridge anytime between 3:30 and 5:30 a.m.. It would appear that they've worked out some kind of deal with CSX concerning the powerplant switch at West Olive, whatever train was the last one there, the switch is left lined from their move, thus no walking the train to restore the switch.
BTW......thanks Zack!!!!