Lansing man run over by train -- and lives

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Lansing man run over by train -- and lives

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Curt mentioned this in the shoutbox:
I was just checking the news (WOODTV) and a train ran over some guy passed out on the tracks about 3:30 am this morning. He is supposed to be in the ICU in Lansing. Apparently he was sauced.

Looked on WOODTV, and here's the article.
http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8300272
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

The man was recovered from underneath a locomotive after the train stopped. Police say he is in stable condition in a hospital intensive care unit.
:shock: Does that mean he was dragged? Holy cow...

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Article on the LSJ website stated that it was along Baker Street, which would means it must have been along the NS line just south of the Cedar diamond. I am not familar with their operations so im unsure which train it was.

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

I was the lucky Engineer on that train. :(
I used to get paid for doing what all of you like to watch!

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

GTW6401 wrote:.....I am not familar with their operations so im unsure which train it was.
It might have been B28. I'm suprised Gregg isn't informing us about this.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

intocable83
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by intocable83 »

I was in that area last night and seen ambulances down there so now I know why. I used to live right by those tracks too. They only run about two or three trains down them each week last I knew and it was very sporadic.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

Hogger1225 Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:05 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was the lucky Engineer on that train.
Hogger, I feel bad for you, and I hope that never happens to a train im on, but cold hard facts say it will oneday :( . Would you be so kind to inform us on the train you where running

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Coming north on B-28, two unit and three cars. Short stretch of tangent track just south of the CN diamond at Cedar. We saw what we thought was debris, (very common in that area) but when we got about 60 feet away we could tell it was a person. Was already in ful dynamic so put it in emergency. By the time we got stopped he was underneath the next to the last traction motor of the trailing unit. He was still alive when we got back there. Called 911, then informed the train dispatcher. Emergency crew were there within 6 minutes of running over the guy and we were on our way 38 minutes after it first happened. Glad he lived, otherwise it would have been #10 for me.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Hogger1225 wrote:Glad he lived, otherwise it would have been #10 for me.
:shock: Wow, I can not even imagine that. It's good to hear he lived and you didn't have to deal with another death that's completely out of your control.

rsinoms
Human Moose Elephant

Unread post by rsinoms »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:
GTW6401 wrote:.....I am not familar with their operations so im unsure which train it was.
It might have been B28. I'm suprised Gregg isn't informing us about this.
well duh he is on this side of the state
You say trestle... I say Trussell!!!

nsted1582
Railroadfan...fan

lansing man hit by train

Unread post by nsted1582 »

im from lansing i no what happened some guy got so drunk he passed out on the tracks and was hit at 3:30am by a norfolk southern train on the ns lansing secondary he is in stable condition he will be charged with trespassing on railroad property

iNFEKT
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iNFEKT »

It'd be nice if the city of Lansing would bother cleaning up that area of tracks, there's so much debris and trash around I'd imagine most people can't even tell that its an active line.

nsted1582
Railroadfan...fan

lansing man hit by ns B28

ya infekt is right the tracks are pretty beat up

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

They were cleaned up last year. Testimony to the fine people who are too cheap or lazy to at least drive around and fine somebody else's dumpster. Probably the same trailer trash that won't put a shopping cart back or who tries to sneak on railroad proprety to drop off their trash in the railroads dumpster or just drop construction debris flat out in the open. (True stories.)

nsted1582
Railroadfan...fan

Lansing Man hit by NS B28 - NS Trashed tracks

wouldnt norfolk southern have to clean up the tracks though because they own them or not ?

iNFEKT
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iNFEKT »

Hogger1225 wrote:They were cleaned up last year. Testimony to the fine people who are too cheap or lazy to at least drive around and fine somebody else's dumpster. Probably the same trailer trash that won't put a shopping cart back or who tries to sneak on railroad proprety to drop off their trash in the railroads dumpster or just drop construction debris flat out in the open. (True stories.)
I was out there last year, if that's what they look like cleaned up I guess its probably good I never checked them out before than :P. Seems like a lot of kids play on them there's so much junk around seems like they could be a dead line. The section from Cavanaugh to Baker reminds me of the tracks that come off CN that end around MLK Blvd, except as far as I know, those actually aren't used.

nsted1582
Railroadfan...fan

NS Lansing - Trashed Tracks

ya that part of town has really been trashed by people i think its mainly beacuase it runs through a lot of neihborhoods in that area

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

For some reason, low-income neighborhoods and lots of trash strewn about go hand in hand. I'll never understand it.

intocable83
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by intocable83 »

Baker street is not that bad. It used to be but people who don't really know the area continue to consider it a poor area or dangerous. Most of the houses through that area have been fixed up and rented out. I know because I did live in one of those houses and paid $900 a month. I guess I am low income because I only moved because I couldn't afford the "ghetto area" lol