Train/truck accident

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Train/truck accident

Unread post by firemedic54 »

According to wnem.com a WB train hit a NB pickup truck in Huron County outside of Bad Axe Monday night. A 16 year old was driving. 3 people were transported. The engineer was not hurt. No pics of the wreck. I assume this was HESR/RA that was involved...

R.E.A.P.E.R.
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Train/truck accident

Unread post by R.E.A.P.E.R. »

3 injured when pickup truck hit by train
Published: Tuesday, May 8, 2012 10:32 AM EDT

By Stacy Langley
Tribune Staff Writer

COLFAX TOWNSHIP — Three people were injured Monday evening when the pickup truck they were in was struck by a train crossing the roadway at McMillan Road.

http://www.michigansthumb.com/articles/ ... 437605.txt

BTW....Read the comments section

R.E.A.P.E.R.
Railroadfan...fan

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

By Stacy Langley
Tribune Staff Writer

COLFAX TOWNSHIP — Three people were injured Monday evening when the pickup truck they were in was struck by a train crossing the roadway at McMillan Road.
By Kevin Usealman

BAD AXE -- Two teens and an adult were injured Monday night when a 1994 Chevy pickup crashed into a train near the intersection of Geiger and McMillan roads in Colfax Township near Bad Axe.
So who is right, Stacy or Kevin?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

[quote="R.E.A.P.E.R."]3 injured when pickup truck hit by train
Published: Tuesday, May 8, 2012 10:32 AM EDT

By Stacy Langley
Tribune Staff Writer

http://www.michigansthumb.com/articles/ ... 437605.txt

BTW....Read the comments section[/quote Must be a family member on the long winded comment. They can put any spin they want on it, it's the driver's fault.

Tom
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom »

I like the way they list the year and make of the locomotive. Nice touch.

I love the family member's comment. As if it any of the circumstances matter. Just how in the hell does someone hit a train?

I always say, if you are going to pull out in front of something I'd rather it be a train than a school bus full of kids. Now there will be some public outcry and another useless $800,000 set of gates and lights.. Or worse, another stupid rail trail. Grrrrr...

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

I went throught the intersection last night. There are farms on the east side of the road both north and south of the intesection. They interrupt visibilty slightly, but not enough to completely block the view of rail traffic. There is plenty of open field to see what is coming in both directions. I could see issues if the fields were surrounded by mature corn plants, but that is when you turn the radio off, slow down, and drive at the appropriate speed for the conditions.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=43 ... 6&t=h&z=16

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Did you guys see it was mentioned that the railroad engineer on that train was the uncle of the driver of the car? Strange twist.
http://www.minbcnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=751478
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

~Z~ wrote:Did you guys see it was mentioned that the railroad engineer on that train was the uncle of the driver of the car? Strange twist.
http://www.minbcnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=751478
No I missed that part. Then again they're from a small area so I could see that happening. Still what are the odds??

R.E.A.P.E.R.
Railroadfan...fan

Here is the 911 call and Radio Traffic

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Love the comment "There are no lights! Blame the town!"

:roll:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

If this crossing where the collision took place is the one shown in the video, the driver is 100% at fault being "hit by a train." There is a yield sign, and if you don't know what a yield sign means, you shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car in the first place.

Case closed, IMO.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

JT,

Just my personal opinion, but when I was young it seemed all unprotected crossings had a "Stop, Look, Listen sign in addition to the traditional cross bucks. Made sense to me when I was a teenager learning to drive back in the fifties.

It's my humble opinion they should be reinstated. Yield signs at unprotected crossings just don't cut it anymore.

My personal take on yield signs mean " Stop, Look, Listen". If safe, then proceed. If you see a headlight or hear a horn stop in position and hold. Of course there will always be violators.

Some aircraft terminology used in that last sentence.
Norm

NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NoviRailfan »

Did they drive into the side of the train? I was expecting a call in from the train crew as part of those calls.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Norm wrote:JT,

Just my personal opinion, but when I was young it seemed all unprotected crossings had a "Stop, Look, Listen sign in addition to the traditional cross bucks. Made sense to me when I was a teenager learning to drive back in the fifties.

It's my humble opinion they should be reinstated. Yield signs at unprotected crossings just don't cut it anymore.

My personal take on yield signs mean " Stop, Look, Listen". If safe, then proceed. If you see a headlight or hear a horn stop in position and hold. Of course there will always be violators.

Some aircraft terminology used in that last sentence.
I was taught in drivers education many years ago that a railroad crossing sign is a Yield. Putting a yield sign at a RR crossing is akin to putting a yield sign under a stop sign.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Norm wrote:JT,

If you come to an intersection with a yield sign and there is a car approaching in the crossing street that has the right of way or crossing in front of you, what do you do? Stop. That is the law. Same applies to RR tracks. There is no way the driver isn't 100% at fault here.

And I agree with you about the SLL signs. :)

Tom
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom »

J T wrote: If you come to an intersection with a yield sign and there is a car approaching in the crossing street that has the right of way or crossing in front of you, what do you do? Stop. That is the law. Same applies to RR tracks. There is no way the driver isn't 100% at fault here.
You stop anytime there is something huge coming that looks like it might not stop! Regardless of signage or whether you have the green light or the other guy has a yield sign! My dad used to say "Don't be dead right!"

People have given up thinking these days. The more gates and lights they put up the stupider we all become. Darwin works long days but he can't be everywhere.

railnut0571
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railnut0571 »

LOL @TOM, Well Tom, it matter's that that the engine was a 1978 GP-38, cuz if it were any other year the kids would have prolly seen it coming lol. hahahah Yeah that was funny how they listed the make, and year of the train in the paper.