GRE Grand Rapids Eastern (Lowell)

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GRE Grand Rapids Eastern (Lowell)

Unread post by Mark F »

They used to park cars north of M21/Main St but I don't recall seeing anything there in quite a while. Always kind of curious why they didn't put a switch in where the tracks dead end south of Foreman so they could run around a set of cars.

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Plannerdad »

There was a switch north of Foreman, but they chose not to move it south when the bike path went in. I have seen cars north of M-21, but not lately.

TallMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TallMan »

Does anyone know when/if Dependable LP Gas in Lowell ever received shipments by rail? I can see that they had a little spur just East of Grand River Dr, and I've been curious about it.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The LPG dealer received a few cars shortly after Central Michigan took over from GTW but nothing since then. I don’t think GRE has ever switched them.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

run8ed
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by run8ed »

Caught the back half of the Grand Rapids Eastern Lowell turn as it departs King Milling and crosses both rivers on the way to Segwun. Beautiful day! Sure wish I could find video of the MMRR running through trains here in the 1990s!
"Let's keep the freight rolling, gentlemen..."

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

WB around 2:00pm over the Grand River. 10 or 11 cars with what looked like an AMWAY hopper in the middle. Ann St. yard is still full.

run8ed
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by run8ed »

King down to about 16 cars for unloading onsite--I was assuming GRE would run over here today. I have to wonder if the line is temporarily out of service due to the storm last night and perhaps some trees on the tracks--but that is just a guess. Lots of trees down around Kent county last night!

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Saw a car at the yard office this morning around 10 but the office was locked and they weren’t in the yard. Must’ve either gone east by then or it was just a random car.

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Rare Sunday operation, I just heard GRE arrive in Lowell. I might drive downtown and see what they are doing. Not much room in GR or Lowell for more cars!

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Appreciate the heads up plannerdad and Amtrak 1007. I'm in Ada on my bike, riding grand river ave to Lowell, so I'll keep an eye for GRE. If you see a bicyclist wearing grey and red, say hi!
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

GRE switching their yard out next to Grand River Ave and Segwuin at 12:11pm.
MOW crew here with a backhoe to clear a large tree down on the east end of their yard.
Crappy cell phone pic:
Attachments
2023-08-27 12.09.47.jpg
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

No bicycle sighting, but the trackmobile (sp) was switching King and blocking traffic. Plus a line of empties east of the Flat on the main. I think they need more tracks!

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Working on Spaulding crossing today around 8:45am.

run8ed
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by run8ed »

After dropping the girls off at school, I happened to catch the trackmobile on the west side of Hudson st. They were moving within a minute of my stopping. King Milling is a neat operation!

I think they have the north track open now, so room for 10 more cars. They sure do run through a lot of wheat!

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

I was walking around there Friday and there are a couple unused sidings behind New Union. Maybe save one track for tanks cars of beer??

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

TallMan wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:36 pm
Does anyone know when/if Dependable LP Gas in Lowell ever received shipments by rail? I can see that they had a little spur just East of Grand River Dr, and I've been curious about it.
If you are talking about the one on the exGTW, they USED to do a lot of business with the railroad....easily as much as the plant on M50 at Alto. Was a Cities Service owned farm. The underground storage developed a crack in the salt dome...so that was pretty much the end of that business.
When the propane car burned in GR on the bridge over Monroe back in the late 70's, it had come from that storage unit enroute to Petoskey. Didn't make it. 8-)
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

GRE is parked south of Lowell on he xGTW main tonight, facing west with about 30 cars behind it. Ann Street was kind of empty around 3:00pm.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I have good notes about this customer and Dok’s memory is spot-on. Its three docks was a busy customer for GTW until the crack formed.
Doktor No wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:11 pm
If you are talking about the one on the exGTW, they USED to do a lot of business with the railroad....easily as much as the plant on M50 at Alto. Was a Cities Service owned farm. The underground storage developed a crack in the salt dome...so that was pretty much the end of that business.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Track work around the Fuller diamond at noon. A fair amount of cars on both interchange tracks.

run8ed
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by run8ed »

Grand Rapids Eastern #2104 silently waiting for a crew to head west to Grand Rapids with King Milling empties 8.30.2023
Grand Rapids Eastern #2104 silently waiting for a crew to head west to Grand Rapids with King Milling empties 8.30.2023
GRE 2104 still sitting on the main at Segwun, shut down and set up to run west to Grand Rapids. 20+ cars on the train. I believe it has been sitting there since Sunday evening. Hopefully there is not a mechanical problem with the engine. Perhaps there simply is not an available crew for the run back to Grand Rapids at this time?