Too Dark?

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
J T
Hates Supper

Re: Too Dark?

Unread post by J T »

JUST AARON wrote:JT, You and I have both stated in the past that the uploaded versions of our shots are less vibrant than what we see in photo shop or windows explorer.

I think we have threads about that in here someplace.
Exactly. Everytime I upload a photo to the web, it loses vibrance. It's the same loss on ANY site. And the reverse happens when I grab a photo off the web and open it in photoshop. I don't quite understand it and no one has been able to give me a logical explanation nor a solution (and I've inquired about it on a few different photos sites in the past several years).
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

And you are sure you've checked this in Photoshop?
Full size link below
http://railroadfan.com/images/profile.JPG
This photo shows the same pic in both photoshop and Firefox, along with the PS menu to select your profile.

Gotta make sure your editing tool is set for sRGB IEC61966-2.1 if it's stuff you are publishing to the web. If it's photos that you are having printed, it should be set to Adobe RGB. This is found under "edit" then "color settings." To change a photo to web before you start editing, go to "edit" then "assign profile."
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

railroadfan wrote: Gotta make sure your editing tool is set for sRGB IEC61966-2.1 if it's stuff you are publishing to the web. If it's photos that you are having printed, it should be set to Adobe RGB.
9 out of 10 times, you're not going to see the difference in a print that's done in Adobe RGB versus sRGB. Some people who print their photographs on a home printer use it and swear by it, but 99.9% of professional labs use sRGB.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

railroadfan wrote:And you are sure you've checked this in Photoshop?

This photo shows the same pic in both photoshop and Firefox, along with the PS menu to select your profile.

Gotta make sure your editing tool is set for sRGB IEC61966-2.1 if it's stuff you are publishing to the web. If it's photos that you are having printed, it should be set to Adobe RGB. This is found under "edit" then "color settings." To change a photo to web before you start editing, go to "edit" then "assign profile."
I'll give that a try when I get home. I have posted comparative images just like you did, showing the difference, and no one could figure it out or offer the proper solution. People have suggested that I had some settings incorrect, but when changing those, I continued to see the same result. I hope you are right! I HATE processing an image, only to see it look a little washed out when I upload it to the web. I usually then have to go back, create another layer, and then darken and saturate that layer slightly to get it to look like I originally processed it.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Well, this is interesting. Zack, I just downloaded your comparison pic and opened it in Photoshop (CS5 on my laptop here at the Burger King in beautiful Newaygo. haha), and made sure the settings were exactly as you stated above...and guess what...your image looks richer (more contrast and saturation) when I open it! :shock:

Your image on the left, opened in Photoshop, your image on the right, as seen on the web:

You can clearly see a difference in the skin tone/color of the crew between two. Look at the face of the guy in the cab, it's much more saturated on the left (opened in photoshop) as opposed to the image on the right (viewed on the web).

I guess I'm going to have to show you this in person to see if you can figure it out. Exactly what I stated earlier just happened with your image (downloading images from the web produces the exact opposite problem I have when uploading).

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

In case you didn't catch my reply in the chatbox:
yeah, i saw your mention
after opening the web image, did you then go to edit-assign profile and try to change the profile?
i dunno if the menus are different on your mac though

Whatever the case, bring your laptop along the next time I see you, and we'll try to figure it out.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

railroadfan wrote:In case you didn't catch my reply in the chatbox:
yeah, i saw your mention
after opening the web image, did you then go to edit-assign profile and try to change the profile?
i dunno if the menus are different on your mac though

Whatever the case, bring your laptop along the next time I see you, and we'll try to figure it out.
I didn't need to change it...it's already set at that.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

HA! PROOF AT LAST! The plot thickins.
Mark it Zero.