CSX Chicago Line Hotspots

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Y@
Ass. Janitor

CSX Chicago Line Hotspots

Unread post by Y@ »

For those who don't know, here are the great locations along the busy route, starting from Greenwich.

Greenwich- Crossing and connecting of the line, and the old Conrail Indy Line.
Willard- Busy yard, sees W&LE run-throughs.
Attica- Crossing of NS and CSX.
Fostoria (Iron Triangle)- Crossings of the NS, CSX line to Walbridge, and Chicago Line.
Hoytville- Great location for afternoon, evening shots.
Deshler- Crossing of Toledo Sub, and Chicago Line. Tower and Station Remain. Morning shots of North-Southbound trains can be taken from across a resovior. EB Q508 turns into a NB here, bound for Stanley.
Hamler- Not an excellent place for photos, but the I&O crosses and interchanges with CSX here.
Holgate- Former crossing of Nickel Plate and B&O. Some good shots can be taken near the elevator, or the old, relocated station.
Standley- Small town where some good wide-angle shots can be reached.
Defiance- Interchange with shortline Maumee & Western (Former Wabash). A small yard is located across Highway 281 from the GM Plant. EB Q508 switches this yard.
Sherwood- Small town with some good photo opportunities.
Hicksville- Here the track is on a 30-40 ft. embankment. Great opportunities for pictures.

Into Indiana.
Auburn- Some good nature shots are availible here.
St. Joe- Crossing of another NS line.

We'll end in Garrett.
Garrett- First division point west of Chicago. Large yard is based from here. EB Q508 also stops here.

My knowledge of Indiana is limited, so if anyone wants to contribute, feel free.
Bottom text.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Hopefully you are kidding about the large yard in Garrett! No one get to excited, its only 8 tracks, used for block swaps, a few (2) trains, and for the locals. Other wise its fly by, or change crews.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Sorry about that. From what some of the people I've met told me, it was a busy yard. They must've ment mainline through trains. Thanks for telling me Matt.
Bottom text.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Size of Garrett

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Two someone at CSX, Garrett is a 50 track yard with dual direction humps and tons of tracks to block swap. In reality its 7 big tracks with 2 other tracks and a wye to turn power. They used to do tons of block swapping there, but it comes and goes.

Three locals, G trains, and Q508 and Q509 call Garrett 'home'.

Practice Safe CSX

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Other Spots

Unread post by CSX_CO »

I recommend Bend Bridge at 95.0. Nice S curve through the bridges over the St. Joe River. About the most 'photogenic' spot on the entire B&O.

State line has a grade seperation. #2 is on the original alignment while #1 was cut down to eliminate the helper district based at "Rosedale" to help trains over the hill. Interesting spot.

Much of the rest between the Ohio Line and Willard is straight and flat. I think the line between Chicago and Willard is something like 98% straight track.

Practice Safe CSX

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

I wouldent say the entire B&O, but deffinatly this side of Greenwich/Boyd yes!!!!
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:I wouldent say the entire B&O, but deffinatly this side of Greenwich/Boyd yes!!!!
I couple only find a couple pics from "The Bend" between Sherwood and Defiance in Ohio... you guys have any of your own? I saw a few on rrpicturearchives, none here, none on railpictures.net.

I am personally very fond of the line between Kimmell and Avilla Indiana on the B&O. Great sweeping curves, with many bridges(wooden ones even)
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

I was just at Wellsboro, Indiana. The CSX line crosses the CN Toronto to Chicago line at grade with two tracks each. Great traffic levels on both lines and great views. Will update with a few pictures soon. Wellsboro is south of La Porte, Indiana and is SW of the junction of Indiana route 39 and US route 6. Go west from that highway junction to county route 450. Go south on CR 450 for 2 miles. You will see the CSX crossing as you cross the CN tracks. You then turn right on the first road after the CSX tracks and go 1/2 mile to the junction. Stay off the SW quadrant though. CSX crews did not mind me being on the SE quad, so long as I stayed clear of the diamonds. 8)

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

another good spot to see CSX is Willow Creek (Portage) is about 23 miles west of Wellsboro and both the B&) line and the Porter branch both run through there. i sat on the south side of the diamonds by the wye and i never had any problems sitting there.