Railfanning Spots: CSX Wyoming-Woodbury

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Railfanning Spots: CSX Wyoming-Woodbury

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Well, after reading all the railfanning guides people here have posted, I figured I'd add one for the CSX Plymouth sub between Wyoming and Lake Odessa. I haven't hit every possible place yet, so there are some gaps. I will continuely update this. All of these pictures are mine.

Judd Ave. @ Wyoming yard
I'm sure most of you have been to Judd more times than you can count. It's the best spot to catch yard and shop action along with arriving and departing westbounds and eastbounds.

Eastbound leaving the yard:

Westound entering/leaving the yard (D801 heading to West Olive):

And once in a while this will happen, switcher meeting a westbound:

There's also Freeman Ave on the other side of the yard, and you can go in a bit until you're on CSX Property, though they never seem to care:Image

Godfrey St.
Still in Wyoming, I think, Godfrey is a good spot to catch trains coming in and out of the yard.

Oakland Ave Zack addition
Located between Godfrey St and Grandville Ave, good spot away from traffic as this is a deadend road.

Grandville Ave The best to take pictures is really on track-adjacent Century Ave, but the crossing is on Grandville. This is a good spot to catch the P370 Pere Marquette backing up into the station at night as well as freights coming and going.

Turner St Zack addition
Located east of Grandville Ave, but just before US-131.

Graham St Zack addition
Located along Buchanan, near the Franklin St overpass

Buchannan St. Just past US 131, Buchannan is a really nice spot to catch both west and eastbounds. You can also easily see the signals, so you'll know if something's coming in or not.

Stevens St Zack addition
Right on the curve off of Buchanan Ave

Jefferson Ave Zack addition
This part of town is starting to get bad, so wouldn't recommend staying around here

College Ave.
Not in the best neighborhood, but some cool old buildings around the area.
Video: http://www.dailymotion.com/Conrail_Jon/ ... ollege-ave

Eastern Ave Zack addition
Taken from the Garfield Park Cemetery just off of Eastern Ave

Rider's Hobby Shop, Kentwood
Behind Rider's Hobby Shop in Kentwood there's a decent spot to catch trains. Lighting is better in the afternoon.

29th St Zack addition
Photo taken behind a furniture store off of 29th St.

Video from behind Russo's on 29th St: http://www.dailymotion.com/Conrail_Jon/ ... 34-eb-dusk

Fox Siding, Kentwood Fox siding is the spot I frequent the most, it's a 3 minute drive away. There are several great spots, the parking lot of an abandoned warehouse is probably the best spot. There's also the end of Kraft St near the east end of the siding.
The radar ball @ the airport makes a cool backdrop for westbounds shot from the parking lot.
Eastbound shot from the parking lot.

If you want to get adventurous, the other side of the passing track is great:

End Of Kraft St.

48th Street Bridge over the Thornapple River
This is a great spot, especially for east bounds. I've never caught an east bound there, but westbounds make for cool shots too.

Alto
The crossing closest to Alto Gas and the Pipe Company is the best, I forget the name of the road. Makes for good shots of D708 switching.

Elmdale
Elmdale is a nice, peaceful spot to sit and wait for a train. The east end is the best spot for pictures, it's right next to the old line that went north to the GRE/MMRR in Lowell. The west end is also ok, but better in the morning.
East End
West End
Looking West from the west end - Zack addition

Video from Elmdale: http://www.dailymotion.com/Conrail_Jon/ ... 22-elmdale

Clarksville
Has a really nice curve to the west and a good long straightaway to the east. Good for both directions.
Westbound Q327
Eastbound D708

Lake Odessa
I've only ever caught Westbounds in Lake O. A good spot is in the parking lot near the old crossing.

Woodbury
There's a nice curve near a farm just west of the Ethanol plant. There's also the M-66 crossing which provides good views of the new Ethanol plant.
Unfortunantly this is the furthest east I've railfanned CSX. If anyone else wants to jump in and continue on, be my guest.[/b]
Last edited by SD80MAC on Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Well, aren't you going to Finish it?
I can do Lake Odessa to Lansing/Ensel yard. I explored that part of the line ealier this year.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

There, as far as I can go.

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

Geat series Jonathon. Great pics

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Updated with a number of my grand rapids east side photos. Thanks for taking the time to put up the ones you did...buchanan st is great, good spot to shoot for mid day or any point of the day since it's the only straight southbound track around GR for CSX.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Hey thanks for contributing Zack. I added a link to my videos from College Ave. one from behind Russo's on 29th St, and one from Elmdale.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

hey great info, the name of the road at the crossing at the Alto gas is M-50 or Alden Nash exit 52 off 96, i have caught a train or two there myself when i went to explore the ripping up of the Elmdale spur to Lowell. Also its a great location to get ice cream from the Caboose. ~Chris