Marion Branch - Changes Coming UPDATE 2/9/11

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Y@
Ass. Janitor

Marion Branch - Changes Coming UPDATE 2/9/11

Unread post by Y@ »

Word from a trusted source of info is that NS has a contract coming up "soon" to replace the old Pennsy signals on the Marion Branch. For those who don't know, they look like this: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 257&nseq=4, http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 415&nseq=6, http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 74&nseq=10
Last edited by Y@ on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bottom text.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Marion Branch - Changes Coming

Unread post by ~Z~ »

:( glad I was out fanning that line today with Trussell Sr. Enjoyed catching three trains on the branch, watched two of them in Warsaw doing street running next to these signals.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Certainly is a cool line to fan from what I've seen. I'll be trying to get out there in the next few weeks for sure.
Bottom text.

Chris7092
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chris7092 »

From what I understand, several have already been taken down. I haven't been out to verify this for myself however. I'm planning on getting out there in the next month or so, I'll be happy to report my findings. And for the record...it's the Marion District now; I know I know it just doesn't have the same ring to it!

Chris

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Chris7092 wrote:it's the Marion District now; I know I know it just doesn't have the same ring to it!
When did that change? Oh well, I'm sure the majority of the foam will continue to call it the Branch.

I know there had already been a few replaced before we were aware of this project. Is that what you're talking about, or have they recently (within the last 1-2 months) replaced any sets?
Bottom text.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Me and Aaron will be out along the Branch tomorrow, sure to have some pictures to show and other stuff to post.
Bottom text.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

I am about 75% sure I will be on 110. I will post when I get called.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:I am about 75% sure I will be on 110. I will post when I get called.
You got my number too, give me a call.
Bottom text.

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob46580 »

Anyone heading out near Claypool, N. Speicher or Wabash that sees this before they go can help me test my ATCS layout if they are an ATCS user, been working on it for a while, was going to hold off on releasing it to the ATCS monitor group, but lately there seems to be some interest in the Marion Dist.
My latest layout that just may go to the group includes my speculation on the areas that are not on ATCS yet, wanted to release a layout once , not update it every time another control point goes to ATCS. The way I have it now, it should only need mcp info as things change. Other than Marion , down there I see possible changes to signal system if they ever get ATCS down there. (Like CP 78 being removed maybe)
If you want it, email me at rob29_46580@yahoo.com and request it, I will check as often as I can for email.

Keep in mind this is for field monitoring with a radio only, no servers yet on the Marion Dist. , but may have something in the works to start a feed, another reason for me trying to release layout to the group.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

rob46580 wrote:Anyone heading out near Claypool, N. Speicher or Wabash that sees this before they go can help me test my ATCS layout if they are an ATCS user, been working on it for a while, was going to hold off on releasing it to the ATCS monitor group, but lately there seems to be some interest in the Marion Dist.
My latest layout that just may go to the group includes my speculation on the areas that are not on ATCS yet, wanted to release a layout once , not update it every time another control point goes to ATCS. The way I have it now, it should only need mcp info as things change. Other than Marion , down there I see possible changes to signal system if they ever get ATCS down there. (Like CP 78 being removed maybe)
If you want it, email me at rob29_46580@yahoo.com and request it, I will check as often as I can for email.

Keep in mind this is for field monitoring with a radio only, no servers yet on the Marion Dist. , but may have something in the works to start a feed, another reason for me trying to release layout to the group.
First off, welcome to the site Rob! I like the idea of ATCS on the branch. I've never been over there but all the people I've talked to say it's a cool line to follow.
Bottom text.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

If somehow you get to see this Y@ Q090 out of Chicago at 0810.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: Marion Branch - Changes Coming UPDATE 2/9/11

Unread post by Y@ »

Per a reliable source, most if not all of the PRR Position Lights will be gone by the end of March.

I'm heading out there this weekend.
Bottom text.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Y@ wrote:
Chris7092 wrote:it's the Marion District now; I know I know it just doesn't have the same ring to it!
When did that change? Oh well, I'm sure the majority of the foam will continue to call it the Branch.

I know there had already been a few replaced before we were aware of this project. Is that what you're talking about, or have they recently (within the last 1-2 months) replaced any sets?
In the 2006 Dearborn Division ETT it was still the Marion Branch but in the 2008 ETT it was called the Marion District. The change in name probably coincided with the Marion District switching from the Dearborn Division to the Lake Division which happened in either 2007 or 2008. (I have not seen any 2007 NS ETTs to determine which division the Marion Branch/District was in)

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

cbehr91 wrote:
Y@ wrote:

In the 2006 Dearborn Division ETT it was still the Marion Branch but in the 2008 ETT it was called the Marion District. The change in name probably coincided with the Marion District switching from the Dearborn Division to the Lake Division which happened in either 2007 or 2008. (I have not seen any 2007 NS ETTs to determine which division the Marion Branch/District was in)
Yep, that's exactly why it changed. Border told me that not long after I posted the question.
Bottom text.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Well, no signs of signal work or any signal replacements since I was last out there. Hopefully that's a good sign.
Bottom text.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Y@ wrote:Well, no signs of signal work or any signal replacements since I was last out there. Hopefully that's a good sign.
That and its tough to dig signal cable, run lines, install stuff, when its winter and the ground is frozen. Especially with the snow and ice we've been having.

Practice Safe CSX

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

CSX_CO wrote:
Y@ wrote:Well, no signs of signal work or any signal replacements since I was last out there. Hopefully that's a good sign.
That and its tough to dig signal cable, run lines, install stuff, when its winter and the ground is frozen. Especially with the snow and ice we've been having.

Practice Safe CSX
I know that, but with the way CSX has been replacing old C&O signals lately I figure NS could have been doing it too.
Bottom text.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

CSX_CO wrote:That and its tough to dig signal cable, run lines, install stuff, when its winter and the ground is frozen. Especially with the snow and ice we've been having.
NICTD (South Shore Line) has been working through the winter on their CTC project (replacing ABS signals between Michigan City and South Bend with PTC-ready CTC signaling and new crossing signals on about 30 miles of track).

Most weeks they get four full days in ... even on the worst weeks this winter (ice and snow storms - especially lake effect in western St Joseph County) they have managed to work one day.

The primary difference I see is that when the crew doing the NICTD work (Divane Brothers) isn't working they are not working. With NS they can send the signal upgrade crews elsewhere for the winter where there is a better chance that they will be getting something done. (NICTD has lost seven of 24 work days since Christmas.)

Beal99
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Beal99 »

Any updates, was going to head out this Saturday to get some shots but the weather looks like trash

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob46580 »

If you have Y@'s luck the good weather days will be slow for trains. But at worse you will have an ATCS antenna mast at CP 21 S Leesburg , other than that, there no obvious work ready to be done, although theres been a backhoe showing up all around the area again. Was down by S Claypool over weekend, now it is parked by S Leesburg. No idea what its doing though, might not even be signal related work.