Ratting on a railfan .

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Ratting on a railfan .

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

At what point do you make the call ( to RR or City PD ) on a railfan for doing stupid stuff ? Yes there is a reason that I put this before you guys. I'll fill you in as this progress's.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Ratting on a railfan .

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

When they are interfering with the railroad crew's ability to work without hurting perpetrators.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Or if they are endangering themselves.
ConrailDetr​oit wrote:When they are interfering with the railroad crew's ability to work without hurting perpetrators.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

How would the railroads employees react to the situation? Would they call for the police? Is anyone in danger? Is it theft, vandalism, tampering with equipment? At some point rail fan or not you can cross the line and it isn’t ratting. A lot of good rail fan spots have been lost due to the behavior of rail fans. Leave the bad apples to do as they please and rail fans all get tarred with the same brush.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

PatAzo wrote:How would the railroads employees react to the situation? Would they call for the police? Is anyone in danger? Is it theft, vandalism, tampering with equipment? At some point rail fan or not you can cross the line and it isn’t ratting. A lot of good rail fan spots have been lost due to the behavior of rail fans. Leave the bad apples to do as they please and rail fans all get tarred with the same brush.
Those I would definitely report to the local police because they would be quicker to respond than would the RR police. I've been tempted to report locals in Durand for crossing the diamond but it is so common conductors just shrug it off. Apparently they all make it across with no problem.

OTOH, I witnessed a grandfather walking a small child in gauge in sixty mile per hour territory. A deputy I know was nearby and when I notified him he chased them off and gave grandpa a good lecture. Grandpa can be thankful it wasn't a cinder dick who saw him.
Norm

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Imminent danger to life and/or property? That'd be just cause for me.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

A little more detail. Dark vehicle ( 2 dr something or other w/ TRAIN HORNS mounted on the roof ! ) parked between the mains of two railroads a couple of hundred feet off the crossing. There is a public street to the west of the tracks. Not unusual to see railfans around here, but this is pushing it a little.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Seems I've read that extreme loud horns such as railroad equipment is illegal on Michigan roads. I'd say if you see these rail goons, maybe foamers you should call them in without remorse. These idiots screw it up for for the rest of us.
I had one these idiots lay on the loco air horns in our morning commute here in Traverse one day. Shocked the hell out of me, no reason to use that.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Well you can always call the fuz and report a suspicious person hanging around the tracks in such and such area but not leave any details and let the cops handle it. But if they aren't doing themselves any harm and the train crews are not calling it in let them be.

I warn a lot of teenagers who are walking the tracks on SMRS and inform them that it is railroad property knowing full well I did the same things when I was that age. They always seem to comply at least while you are watching. Sometimes people just need a reminder of where they are and who owns the property they are standing on.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

From the description and background knowledge, the location sounds like Wyandotte between the CN Shoreline Sub and Detroit Line #1. Question is how close to track were they?

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

They or he was right at the "old North switch" just north of Emmons between the mains ( Shoreline sub & Detroit line #1 ). Because the railroads are on the "See Something, Say Something" campaign. I have been seeing more things than normal, trespassers, near misses, people not paying any attention to anything ( walking, driving, chewing gum :-) ).

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

If you think you have to call them in, the answer is probably call them in. As a human, I would rather see someone get a ticket or lecture than get killed or injured. People know where they should and should not be, and those who are places they should not be need to be told and sometimes punished for it. Simple as that.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

C&O6084
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6084 »

I think having a set of RR horns on a truck roof is far more a rednecky thing thaan a railfan thing. Bigger. Louder. Something to do while drinking cheap, gag-a-maggot beer.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

How do you get enough air to power a train horn in a two door car?

I've sat at Emmons a few times, on that little paved side street next to the tracks. No good reason to go down between the tracks.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

hoborich wrote:How do you get enough air to power a train horn in a two door car?
Dunno exactly how, but look at this tiny car with a train horn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLfD1AFsb1I
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

~Z~ wrote:
hoborich wrote:How do you get enough air to power a train horn in a two door car?
Dunno exactly how, but look at this tiny car with a train horn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLfD1AFsb1I
Those are the "What does the fox say" guys Ylvis. Funny as hell, like most of their songs. :-)
All that's need is a large air tank and any compressor that can fill it back up. The smaller the compressor the longer time to refill the air tank.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

I'm guilty of laughing at that video when I didn't think it was funny when it happened to me. Oh well. :wink:

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Back on track. Every day we get notifications from the RR industry & FRA about the "latest device" to look for ( like my job isn't difficult enough ! ). Most times you just smile & wave ( and sometimes shake head in disbelief :-) ) it's just when people start pushing the limits ( both ours and theirs ) that draws a little more of my attention. Thanks for the input.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It's happened to me too. While I was biking on an old railroad ROW daydreaming about the trains that used to use it :lol:
Pixl wrote:I'm guilty of laughing at that video when I didn't think it was funny when it happened to me. Oh well. :wink:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

If they are taking pictures I just open the door.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e