Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by Michael »

Yes. A quick find Buster!

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

I was surprised to see this relic still standing last month. The main is a half mile to the east.
I believe this spur serviced a propane dealer or a coal mine.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I forget the name of the town but it’s south of Sebewaing.

It’s Unionville! It serviced a coal mine a long time ago.
Michael wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:39 am
I was surprised to see this relic still standing last month. The main is a half mile to the east.
I believe this spur serviced a propane dealer or a coal mine.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

AARR wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:19 am
I forget the name of the town but it’s south of Sebewaing.

It’s Unionville! It serviced a coal mine a long time ago.
last coal mine in michigan
https://www.newspapers.com/image/209895 ... v-ByBVJYFk
tuscola coal mines pdf for your viewing pleasure
https://www.michigan.gov/-/media/Projec ... f42ae9a571

my guess was the flat lands around monroe.
but since I didn't guess, I'm not wrong.
8)

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Found the spot, is indeed near Unionville. On Sheridan Rd near Leonard Rd, NW of Unionville: https://maps.app.goo.gl/hy5jd7EVauHRr5j78
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Good memory AARR! That is interesting that is was the last coal mine in Michigan Dave.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

This picture was taken 5 or 6 years ago. In Michigan.
Attachments
20180109_221039.jpg

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Is that Born to Run vehicle in Thompsonville :)
EWRice wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:40 pm
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

EWRice wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:40 pm
the line to middleton?
so is this a stolen vehicle or taking the shortcut home from the bar?

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

This truck is on the Coopersville & Marne. Just west of the overpass on 24th Ave near Marne.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

Michael is right. This truck was stolen from the parking lot at the beer tent in Coopersville during the sumerfest. From the marks on the ties, rails and ballast, it looks like they drove onto the tracks at 32nd Ave, then continued East down the tracks until coming to the 24th Ave Bridge. They bounced back and forth from side to side on the tracks. The frame, skid plates and rear diff housing had chunks of metal ripped out of them. Obviously the tires and wheels were trashed. There was no access for a tow truck, so the CPMY was contacted to help. Late on a Sunday evening, 7014 and the 25T American crane were sent out and dragged the truck back to 32nd Ave. The crane was then used to swing the truck off the rails so it could be pulled up onto a rollback. I think 7014 was back in the shed by midnight.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Somewhere in west Michigan. Old spur running into the building probably hasn't been used in my lifetime (I'll be 57 this year). Rails are also buried in the parking lot running along the drive to the left.

I'm sure this is probably an easy one for some people here. :)
IMG_2755.JPG
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Is that the old Dana engine plant (now Mahle) in Muskegon off E. Delano Ave.?
J T wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:13 pm
Somewhere in west Michigan. Old spur running into the building probably hasn't been used in my lifetime (I'll be 57 this year). Rails are also buried in the parking lot running along the drive to the left.

IMG_2755.JPG

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

No.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

J T wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:13 pm

IMG_2755.JPG
Old Kelvinator plant on Clyde Park? On the track/branch that used to run from the end of the City Market spur to Burton on the GDLK(NYC). One leg ran on the west end of the property and tied into the old interurban RoW. The other ran on the east side where you can still see rail in the parking lot, crossed Chicago Dr and Plaster Creek over the wooden trestle today still stands and into the City Market Spur by Keeler Brass.
Big Easy

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Can you be a little more specific? :lol: . Well done pudgy.
pudgy wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:28 pm
Old Kelvinator plant on Clyde Park? On the track/branch that used to run from the end of the City Market spur to Burton on the GDLK(NYC). One leg ran on the west end of the property and tied into the old interurban RoW. The other ran on the east side where you can still see rail in the parking lot, crossed Chicago Dr and Plaster Creek over the wooden trestle today still stands and into the City Market Spur by Keeler Brass.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

pudgy wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:28 pm

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Jetlink wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:00 pm
The building was a filling station cashiers counter originally. There were still a couple of derelict gas pumps and the driveways there when I was a very young lad. Later taken over by the lake Odessa area chamber of commerce. They stocked it with some brochures for a while. Then filled it with junk. Not sure if they still own it or use it. Haven’t paid it much attention lately. But I’ll check it out for you and report back.

Took a look in the windows the other day. Old Boxes and shelves. Looks like junk storage to me. I still suspect the chamber uses it or it is just abandoned and forgotten. No one really claims it or uses it it seems.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Not Michigan. A class one crossing a former class one in a city that in the past was twice a transportation center.

Cell phone photo late in the day so a bit of blur.

20240227_175006.jpg