CMGN 8904 out east

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
patrick
Railroadfan...fan

CMGN 8904 out east

Unread post by patrick »

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Where exactly is that??

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

That my friend it the best place in the World! And the home to the most famous SD70AC on the CSX system.
If you havent figured it out yet, it Cumberland, MD.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

And if I am not misstsken that is Q296

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

That is Q296 with the 8904 at baltamore street in downtown cumberland maryland at the amrack depot.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Most famous SD70AC on the CSX system? I'm confused, can you explain why its the most famous, Matt?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Charles W wrote:Most famous SD70AC on the CSX system? I'm confused, can you explain why its the most famous, Matt?
i see it's matt's avatar, CSXT 700, spirit of cumberland...but why that particular one is famous, i'm not sure actually.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

The 700 along with the 256 was involved in a major derailment as you can see. she made newspapers everywhere.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Dont disgrace my baby like that Patrick. No real reason that it is the most famous.
Just fell in love with Cumberland, when they sent me to engineers school.

That and the fact that my favorate locos are the SD70MAC's, and I work for CSX, and it is just a natural fit.
She made it to Saginaw, once for sure, and twice I missed running her, by being called one train to early,
as she was set to take out the next train.
Mabey some day they will let me play with her.
Here is a better picture of the lady!

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

The sd70's are ok locos. Apperentally they do the job well cause csxt keeps getting more. Personally I still like the old "junker" ge's best. The pug nose units better known as the dash 7 series. They are just cool units who apperantally did their jobs well too cause when before all the "wide body" units, the dash 7 units were standard units for the fastest trains on csxt. The east coast to chi intermodle trains.

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

Too bad CSX didn't get MORE when available..instead of all them dang GE's....IMO
Dave C

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

Patrick can you refresh our memories of the accident of the 700?
Scooterb

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

I can look around Scott, but I don't remember for sure what happened. Maybe Matt remembers. I have the csxt today paper someplace with the accident in it. Maybe I'll try to find it tomorrow if I get a chance.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Well this is what basicly happened.

The 700 was leading a southbound rack train, dont rember what train it was. It was late at night, I want to say aroung 2:00 A.M. It happened in Carlisle, OH about 18 miles north of Butler St. (if you know any of the area around Dayto/Cinciy) on the Toledo Sub. The K185 southbound ore train was holding the main, heading south, wating for a northbound grain train to enter the siding. When the northbound grain train passed the rear of the ore train, they reported that the light on the ore train was not flashing, and was dark. The dispatcher brought the 700 down the main behind the ore train, on a restricting signal(if you are unfimaler with the rules, a restricting says you have proceed prepared to stop within half the range of vision, stoping short of a car, derail, improperly lined switch, so on and so forth, not to exceed 15 MPH. basicly dont hid any thing). As the crew on the 700 came south on the main, they meet the grain train whtch reported that the ore trains eot, ahead was not working, and the crew on the 700 acknowledged this. Well after a while, somthing like 10 min. the crew on the 700 could see a mile or so in the distance a clear signal pop up. Not thinking and in major violation of the signal they receved comming down the main following the ore train, they began to pick up speed, thinking that the ore train was long gone, and the clear signal was for them at the other end of the siding. Well needless to say they ran into the back of the ore train at 37 MPH, (well above the 15 they were not suposed to exceed). The impact ripped trough the last hopper on the ore train, and half way trough another, when the 700 finaly fliped over and down the embakment. The conductor on the ore train found the wreck when his train went into emergency, and had to walk the train. The crew of the 700 consisted of a engineer pilot, who drowned in deisel fuel, and the regular engineer and conductor, who had injuries. The thing that made it even worse, and they think contrubited to the wreck was the fact that the pilot, was in a hurry to get home, to celebrate his birthday the next day. The 700, and the C44AC, sat in Dayton, for quite a while, until (at least the 700) was towed to Hunington, and then to Cleveland, and finaly who knows where? I never did figure out where it had been repaired. It was out of service for about a year and a half, and was even questionable weather it was even going to be fixed. It returned to service in the old paint, seeing as how when it was repaired, the new paint had already been released.

Matt

Sorry about the spelling mistakes, I never was very good at it.