Highway construction at Trowbridge

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Highway construction at Trowbridge

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

If you haven't been to East Lansing recently, MDOT has been busy starting the project to reconfigure the northbound exit ramp to Trowbridge Road. At this point you can access Trowbridge from 496 eastbound but not 127 & none of the ramps to the freeways are open.
Trowbridge 2024 03 17 a.jpg
Trowbridge 2024 03 17 b.jpg
Trowbridge 2024 03 17 c.jpg

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Highway construction at Trowbridge

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Thanks for the pics.
MiddleMI wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:20 pm
I am not sure where the EB signal is, but, yes, I imagine it's work for the US-127 reconstruction. At Trowbridge, they are moving the ramp back, considerably, to offer a smoother turn:

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 15-18-09 I-496_US-127 Public Meeting Presentation - I496-US127-Public-Mtg-Presentation.pdf.png

Edit: Was just out on this section (though not on Trowbridge), and they've got the heavy construction equipment at some of the interchanges ready to go. They've also expanded the shoulder on the southbound lanes for when they which northbound traffic over to that side of the freeway. The local news just had a story saying work starts on the freeway reconstruction early next month. Anyway, yeah, the new Trowbridge exit is going to cross both the CN and CSX tracks instead of just the latter as the current ramp does.
The new ramp is going to travel over both the CN and CSX tracks, now, which will increase the speed you can access it as the current ramp is a very sudden turn and would not be allowed under or rated for current MDOT/Federal standards.

The northbound US-127 and westbound I-496 Trowbridge ramps are also going to be moved westward to straighten that curve, too, and they also noted rated for the current speed limits allowed through them.

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

Good to see this happening. Those bridges and supports were in rough shape.
Big Easy

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Wondering if the construction will make CSX and CN crawl through East Lansing with slow orders. I think track speed on both lines is 40 mph. I'm willing to bet money CN and CSX will be moving through at 25 mph or less through the construction zone. Although, thank the lord that it's getting fixed, I've gone to Lansing a few times to visit people, look at trains and those bridges/ramps near the US 127/496 interchange got so bad.
Last edited by CSXBOY on Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

CSXBOY wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:56 pm
Wondering if the construction will make CSX and CN crawl through East Lansing with slow orders. I think track speed on both lines is 40 mph. I'm willing to bet money CN and CSX will be moving through at 25 mph or less through the construction zone. But thank the lord that is getting fixed, Ive gone to Lansing a few times to visit people and look at trains and those bridges/ramps near the US 127/496 interchange got so bad.
They’re probably running work zones while contractors are actually on site. Depending on the phases and how close men and equipment are, there may or may not be slow speeds given to trains passing by the employee in charge. Pretty typical to give 30s when men are around but not super close to the track.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Erroneous Monk »

Saturnalia wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:12 pm
They’re probably running work zones while contractors are actually on site. Depending on the phases and how close men and equipment are, there may or may not be slow speeds given to trains passing by the employee in charge. Pretty typical to give 30s when men are around but not super close to the track.
Do railroads ever send out a representative to monitor work sites? This project in Lansing is probably not a good example but what about on busier/close proximity sites or near high volume lines such as whenever they get to demolishing the Central Warehouse in Buffalo, which is very close to Amtrak's busy corridor route?

https://www.news10.com/news/albany-coun ... ing-issue/

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Erroneous Monk wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:34 pm
Saturnalia wrote:
Do railroads ever send out a representative to monitor work sites? This project in Lansing is probably not a good example but what about on busier/close proximity sites or near high volume lines such as whenever they get to demolishing the Central Warehouse in Buffalo, which is very close to Amtrak's busy corridor route?

https://www.news10.com/news/albany-coun ... ing-issue/
Yes. Flagmen usually on my road who are considered the “Employee in Charge” in areas such as this. All movements are required to contact the EIC before entering their limits. Would imagine that most roads have a similar setup.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Saturnalia wrote:
CSXBOY wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:56 pm
Wondering if the construction will make CSX and CN crawl through East Lansing with slow orders. I think track speed on both lines is 40 mph. I'm willing to bet money CN and CSX will be moving through at 25 mph or less through the construction zone. But thank the lord that is getting fixed, Ive gone to Lansing a few times to visit people and look at trains and those bridges/ramps near the US 127/496 interchange got so bad.
Thank you for this information.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Fwiw the requirement for a flagman/EIC typically is triggered if the contractor will have “the potential to foul” the track, which is usually around the 25’ mark from the nearest track for a contractor. So if they’re driving anything, lifting anything or otherwise working within that zone, you’ll see a work zone and flagman/EIC. Cranes can be positioned much further from the track, but if any of their lifts are getting within or near that zone, that’ll trigger it up.

Sometimes contractors will also request and be granted train curfews for major lifts or any need to otherwise foul the track for an extended period. Setting bridge beams over the track would certainly typically qualify, especially if the track will be impassable for more than an hour or two. But this depends on the traffic level of the line for sure. You’re gonna need a curfew to do just about anything like that on the Chicago Line, whereas on the Plymouth Sub you might not even need one. Some railroads are really angsty about granting those windows, others work fairly well with contractors. Sometimes it even varies by region. So, it is always possible during critical phases that train traffic could be delayed for a stretch by simply not calling crews in to run if need be.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

I've seen a CN and a CSX pickup truck parked at or near the diamond the few times I've driven by it since they've started working down there. I assumed it was company flag peeps.

Isn't that a biddable job for T/E or is it a MOW gig?

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:08 pm
I've seen a CN and a CSX pickup truck parked at or near the diamond the few times I've driven by it since they've started working down there. I assumed it was company flag peeps.

Isn't that a biddable job for T/E or is it a MOW gig?
For CSX, used to be covered by T&E, usually conductors. Has since become a track dept job.
Big Easy

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

pudgy wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:27 pm
For CSX, used to be covered by T&E, usually conductors. Has since become a track dept job.
I remember visiting with a CSX conductor quite some time ago. He was stationed as the flagman for a bridge project over CSX in Grand Rapids. NS used to stage a conductor I knew back when 44th St was getting reworked. Seemed like a good job to get :)
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayimage-201.html
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

~Z~ wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:12 pm
pudgy wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:27 pm
I remember visiting with a CSX conductor quite some time ago. He was stationed as the flagman for a bridge project over CSX in Grand Rapids. NS used to stage a conductor I knew back when 44th St was getting reworked. Seemed like a good job to get :)
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayimage-201.html
Some of the best jobs I heard. If you had to drive a ways, claimed mileage too.
Big Easy

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

They were awesome jobs. No trains coming? Cool, I’m running home.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Hasn't been any speed restrictions on the CN yet....the flagman has been making sure that the work stops before a train comes thru before giving the train permission thru the work zone....helps with the train velocity (some class 1's measure that in their statistics)

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Caught 149 passing through the carnage on Monday Morning.

They were moving quite slowly approaching the diamond and then picked up speed once the head end was through the construction area. On the other hand they had just made a meet with an eastbound, and the JAIL had just gone north at Cedar, so the speed may have been signal related rather than the construction zone.
a.jpg
b.jpg