The GTW 206447 Reefer Project Fundraiser

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
DTE203
Railroadfan...fan

The GTW 206447 Reefer Project Fundraiser

Unread post by DTE203 »

https://www.booster.com/thegtw206447ree ... side=front

Save the Reefer! Help Move History! By buying a shirt, you will be helping to preserve and move Grand Trunk Western 206447, an ice brine reefer box car from Holland, MI to the safety and preserving efforts of the Port Huron & Detroit Railroad Historical Society of Port Huron Township, MI. The move will involve a couple of semi-tractor trucks and their drivers for a distance of approximately 225 miles! All proceeds from this fundraiser will go to this effort, with any balance going to the following restoration of the reefer into a cosmetically correct climate controlled shop and secure storage area for use by the Port Huron & Detroit Railroad Historical Society.

Reefer GTW 206447 is truly a unique piece of equipment in a mostly complete state. It is likely the sole remaining example of 100 Canadian designed reefers of the efficient overhead ice brine design. These reefers were built for the Grand Trunk Western Railroad Company in July through August of 1955 by the Pacific Car & Foundry at Renton, WA. The efficient design allowed for actual climate control, both cold and warm temperatures with usage of either the aforementioned overhead ice brine tanks or the under-mounted charcoal heater. These reefers had an astounding 3500 mile range before requiring re-charge with the ice brine coolant system. Hauling everything from meat, produce, to auto parts, these reefer box cars allowed the Grand Trunk Western to offer a premium service that allowed for reliable shipment of commodities that required specific temperature requirements. After serving for the Grand Trunk Western, GTW 206447 was likely retired in 1972 or 1973, likely being one of the last of its type in revenue service. It was likely sold to a chicken slaughter house in Holland, MI, now a strip mall, and was spotted on the old Pere Marquette Ottawa Beach Branch next to the slaughter house where it was used as an overflow freezer. The reefer has been there ever since the slaughter house shut down, awaiting a sure fate of the scrapper’s torch until the Port Huron & Detroit Railroad Historical Society stepped in and literally saved the reefer from scrapping. This is where you come in. With your financial support of buying our fundraiser T-shirt, you too can take part in preserving this unique piece of Grand Trunk Western Railroad history, TODAY!

Act now, save the reefer, help move history!

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Re: The GTW 206447 Reefer Project Fundraiser

Unread post by NS3322 »

Glad to hear the reefer will be saved!
I had know idea it had GTW heritage.
Here's a photo I took of it back in 2014.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I guess I'm in for a shirt. Maybe it'll be a good rag, if nothing else, eh?

:twisted:

EDIT: No need to use it as a rag, they turned out to be very nice shirts!
Last edited by GreatLakesRailfan on Fri May 26, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Charles W.

DTE203
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DTE203 »

Anything would help.

If one is not interested in the shirt or hoodie, you can always make a donation!

All proceeds will go to this car, its move, its placement, its restoration.

Every little bit helps!

Our goal for this fundraiser is $4,000.

Thank you for your consideration!

Chad Thompson
PH&DRRHS Board Member

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I always wondered about this history of this car, and while I'm sad that my visits to Sluggo's pizza might soon be slightly less railroady, I'm pleased to see that it will be properly preserved!

Does anyone have a photo of what a car like this would have looked like in its GTW days?

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

DTE203 wrote:Anything would help.

If one is not interested in the shirt or hoodie, you can always make a donation!

All proceeds will go to this car, its move, its placement, its restoration.

Every little bit helps!

Our goal for this fundraiser is $4,000.

Thank you for your consideration!

Chad Thompson
PH&DRRHS Board Member
All teasing aside, I kind of wish I would've waited for the hoodie instead of buying a t-shirt. :wink: But I appreciate the fact that you're putting so much work into raising the money to move the car across the state, Chad.
~ Charles W.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Why not buy both? Hoodie for cold weather work sessions and t shirt for warm weather work sessions.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

DTE203
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DTE203 »

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I had no idea his was here. Where is it?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

MQT1223 wrote:I had no idea his was here. Where is it?
On the east side of Sluggo's Pizza at 321 Douglas Ave, Holland MI.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

DTE203
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DTE203 »

***LAST CALL! LAST CALL! LAST CALL!***

Ladies and gentlemen, we have just THREE DAYS left of the campaign! Many thanks to all of those who have donated to date! We currently have over $1,150 in both shirt sales and donations on the Booster fundraiser alone. Our goal is $4,000. Based on our challenge donors, that means we currently have raised $2,200 for the move! Again, there is only three days left for "The GTW 206447 Reefer Project" fundraiser drive!

We need your help now more than ever to help us bring the reefer home. If you haven't bought a shirt or hoodie sweatshirt yet, or know of someone who might have interest, share the link below! Or, if the shirt or hoodie doesn't meet your fancy, DONATE a few bucks TODAY!

https://www.booster.com/thegtw206447reeferproject

Thank you again for your consideration,

Chad Thompson
Board Member
Port Huron & Detroit Railroad Historical Society

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

DTE203 wrote:***LAST CALL! LAST CALL! LAST CALL!***

Ladies and gentlemen, we have just THREE DAYS left of the campaign! Many thanks to all of those who have donated to date! We currently have over $1,150 in both shirt sales and donations on the Booster fundraiser alone. Our goal is $4,000. Based on our challenge donors, that means we currently have raised $2,200 for the move! Again, there is only three days left for "The GTW 206447 Reefer Project" fundraiser drive!

We need your help now more than ever to help us bring the reefer home. If you haven't bought a shirt or hoodie sweatshirt yet, or know of someone who might have interest, share the link below! Or, if the shirt or hoodie doesn't meet your fancy, DONATE a few bucks TODAY!

Thank you again for your consideration,

Chad Thompson
Board Member
From what I am reading the reefer is in no danger of getting cut up am I correct? This is only for the move?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Not if Chad can raise the money to move it, it's not. I seem to recall the property under it was sold or something and eventually it needs to be removed or it will be removed for non-preservation purposes.
~ Charles W.

DTE203
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DTE203 »

***24 hours left of last call to "Save the Reefer"***

Many thanks to all those who have donated! Another member of the PH&D has come forward with $1,000 to make a total of $3,440! We need just another $560 to reach our goal of $4,000!

Buy a t-shirt, buy a hoodie, donate or do both!

"Save the Reefer - Help Move History"

Click here to support PORT HURON & DETROIT RAILROAD HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Save the Reefer! Help Move History! Buy a shirt to save and move reefer GTW 206447 today!

booster.com

DTE203
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DTE203 »

From what I am reading the reefer is in no danger of getting cut up am I correct? This is only for the move?
Members of the PH&DRRHS have saved the reefer from scrapping. The fundraiser is to ensure an adequate grassroots raised budget is in place for the move. Any balance left over after the costs of the move are addressed will be used to do a cosmetic restoration of reefer GTW206447, and/or construction of it's display track, and maybe even eventual converting to a proper exhibit for public display. Given this is a reefer car, there is more to it than your average boxcar. It has a rather complex internal set of workings for insulation and air passages, even piping for the heating system, not to mention the galvanized steel tanks that had an "enamel" like coating on the inside to resist the corrosion from the ice brine mix, which pending inspection, may require restoration.

Please be ensured that ALL proceeds from this fundraiser will go to the move, restoration, and future preservation of this reefer.

Trucking services are in place and we are working on a plan to ensure safe, affordable transport (no cranes, we intend to use jacks and rubber bogies to move the reefer) to the Port Huron & Detroit Railroad Historical Society site at 2100 32nd Street, Port Huron Township, MI.

Thank you for your interest and consideration,

Chad Thompson
Board Member