Pontiac, MI

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Pontiac, MI

Unread post by MQT1223 »

All things about CN excursion policies aside, I've been curious if Pontiac still has any places to turn a locomotive if necessary. If not Pontiac on the Holly Sub where could you turn a steamer like 1225 for example? I think Durand would be a great place to start an excursion.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Pontiac, MI

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I take it you haven't browsed a map at the CN yard in Pontiac to see the wye that is there? Granted it may have closed since the last aerial photo, but still...
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

~Z~ wrote:I take it you haven't browsed a map at the CN yard in Pontiac to see the wye that is there? Granted it may have closed since the last aerial photo, but still...
I believe there are two wyes in Pontiac. One at the north end of the yard and one at Walton Jct. Alth9ough I don't know if either is still open or used.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

AARR wrote:
~Z~ wrote:I take it you haven't browsed a map at the CN yard in Pontiac to see the wye that is there? Granted it may have closed since the last aerial photo, but still...
I believe there are two wyes in Pontiac. One at the north end of the yard and one at Walton Jct. Alth9ough I don't know if either is still open or used.
The one in the yard is still used, saw some locomotives being wyed on it back a few years ago.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

AFAIK the turntable in he yard is still operable.
Norm

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Norm wrote:AFAIK the turntable in he yard is still operable.
I think that was removed a few years ago. Gosh I was just there and can't recall seeing it :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I thought the turntable was removed some time ago...
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

The latest Google Earth imagery, dated 4/11/15, appears to show the turntable and associated track intact. It can be viewed from the rear of the Heat Treating Services Corp. parking lot on US-24.

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

I was there a few months ago and the turntable was there. Not sure if it works.