Trains on Grand Rapids Sub

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Trains on Grand Rapids Sub

Unread post by justin_gram »

Hi everyone. I live in St. Joseph along the CSX Grand Rapids Sub and I was wondering if there is any type of schedule of the freight trains that come through. Also, where are the eastbound trains headed and where are the westbounds headed? I have also noticed the coal trains mostly have BNSF power. Why is this? If anyone could help answer my questions that would be great. Thanks!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Trains on Grand Rapids Sub

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Quick rundown here, if you have any further questions, just ask.

Q327: Westbound Manifest GR to Chicago. 20:00 Call Time in GR. Work Holland. Daily except Sunday
Q326: Eastbound Manifest Chicago to GR. 0:01 Call Time in Chicago. Work Holland. Daily except Monday
P370 & P371: Amtrak Pere Marquette. Refer to Amtrak.com for details on schedule
D700: Local, based in GR, turn at Holland Tue & Thur, work everything as needed from Holland to Sawyer M, W & F, turn at farthest location required.
Y121/223: Holland-based locals, work everything from Holland to Zeeland and West Olive, briefly use the GR Sub. Weekdays
N903/N910: Coal Loads for West Olive from BNSF Chicago. BNSF run-through power. As needed, about 1x per day. N910 is extra N903
E949/E950?: Coal empties from West Olive for BNSF Chicago. BNSF run-through power. As needed, about 1x per day. E950 is extra E949
N956: Coal Loads for Essexville from BNSF Chicago. BNSF run-through Power. As needed, not running currently. CN/HESR has contract
E945: Coal empties from Essexville for BNSF Chicago. BNSF run-through power. As needed, not running currently. CN/HESR has contract
D801/D802/D803: Pusher jobs for Coal trains, based in West Olive, can also originate in GR. Shove coal trains up Saugatuck and Thornapple Hills. Can also start out empty trains.

So basically in BH you'll get the manifest pair, Amtrak, D700 3x per week and then the randomly-timed coal drags.
Last edited by Saturnalia on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

D700 rarely goes west of Benton Harbor any more. Often, they go to Riverside and run around their train and head back to GR.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Jochs wrote:D700 rarely goes west of Benton Harbor any more. Often, they go to Riverside and run around their train and head back to GR.
Sand has stalled out that much? I knew counts were down, but I thought they still had sand at least once per week?

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

MQT3001 wrote:
Jochs wrote:D700 rarely goes west of Benton Harbor any more. Often, they go to Riverside and run around their train and head back to GR.
Sand has stalled out that much? I knew counts were down, but I thought they still had sand at least once per week?
In the past six months they have been to Technisand maybe once or twice if that many times.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Thank you everyone!

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

One more question, what is the call time mean?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

justin_gram wrote:One more question, what is the call time mean?
The time the crew is to show up by. Generally the trains depart about two hours after that time.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

MQT3001 wrote: N956: Coal Loads for Essexville from BNSF Chicago. BNSF run-through Power. As needed, not running currently. CN/HESR has contract
E945: Coal empties from Essexville for BNSF Chicago. BNSF run-through power. As needed, not running currently. CN/HESR has contract.
Wrong. They are running on the CSX, but via the Saginaw Sub to Toledo. Currently running as N954/E951 as they do on this routing. Saw an E951 through town 2 days ago.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Chrisracer8903 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote: N956: Coal Loads for Essexville from BNSF Chicago. BNSF run-through Power. As needed, not running currently. CN/HESR has contract
E945: Coal empties from Essexville for BNSF Chicago. BNSF run-through power. As needed, not running currently. CN/HESR has contract.
Wrong. They are running on the CSX, but via the Saginaw Sub to Toledo. Currently running as N954/E951 as they do on this routing. Saw an E951 through town 2 days ago.
I had them in there in case they do run some...a for the record. I didn't know they were running on CSX still...so few mentions of them by you guys over there unless I've been overlooking them...seems the contract should have switched...anyway not running via the GR sub currently.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

MQT3001 wrote:
Chrisracer8903 wrote:
I had them in there in case they do run some...a for the record. I didn't know they were running on CSX still...so few mentions of them by you guys over there unless I've been overlooking them...seems the contract should have switched...anyway not running via the GR sub currently.
I mentioned that train this past Friday on the location update and they have been mentioned few times recently by everyone on the Saginaw Sub and even the guys in the LSRC (Typically runs as Z144 to Saginaw). If your not 100% sure they are running on the HESR, don't say they are based on assumptions.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Chrisracer8903 wrote:If your not 100% sure they are running on the HESR, don't say they are based on assumptions.
+1 *facepalm*

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Alex, edit your first post from "N949/950" to E949/950 for empties.

Chris, 99% of the stuff that is posted on this site is typically less than 100% reliable. :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

J T wrote:Alex, edit your first post to E949 and E950 for empties.
Can't believe no one caught that

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

FYI, edited the wiki's entry on D700 to list New Buffalo as the furthest turn around point instead of Sawyer, as they are currently in New Buffalo with those 2 lite NS engines.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

~Z~ wrote:FYI, edited the wiki's entry on D700 to list New Buffalo as the furthest turn around point instead of Sawyer, as they are currently in New Buffalo with those 2 lite NS engines.
With the siding at Sawyer still full of well cars, they have to go to New Buffalo to run around their train every time they have to work Arlington Steel. They also make it to New Buffalo every once in a while to move cars in and out of the old yard.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/