New Marquette Rail engines

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

New Marquette Rail engines

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Heard this today: Marquette Rail (MQT) bought 5 new gp38-2's and the first one is in Kalamazoo on GDLK heading north towards Grand Rapids. GMTX 2191 is the unit number. GMTX 2680 will the first to be returned and rest will follow as the new engines come up. The other units bought are: GMTX 2177, 2183, 2188, and 2192. Plans are to get them in MQT paint, since they are bought and not leased. All the units are in UP colors too.

Units being returned: GMTX 2635, GMTX 2648, GMTX 2652, GMTX 2680.

GMTX 2177 in Worchester MA and should be next to arrive.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Re: New Marquette Rail engines

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Close to what I was told and asked not to spread, but we will see.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

I heard they have a contract with the WSOR this year to paint them. Assuming they stick with their current paint scheme, Marquette's going to be an even cooler railroad to watch. Me thinks some MQT foam time will happen soon!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It depends on the paint scheme. If they paint them like the decked out SD40-2 then everyone will rejoice. If they paint them like the other two SD40-2's in the gray ghost scheme then I will rejoice because I like my train engines drab and no-nonsense looking, not painted like a circus billboard :wink:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

AARR, I know you will join us in rejoicing if they get the SD40-2 scheme. It's hardly circus-like. It's a nice nod to predecessor PM but with its own twist. One of the few classy shortline paint schemes still around if you ask me.
RR Pass Collector

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

AARR wrote:It depends on the paint scheme. If they paint them like the decked out SD40-2 then everyone will rejoice. If they paint them like the other two SD40-2's in the gray ghost scheme then I will rejoice because I like my train engines drab and no-nonsense looking, not painted like a circus billboard :wink:
So what do you think of the circus paint jobs on locos from the 40s-50s-60s? :P
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

J T wrote:So what do you think of the circus paint jobs on locos from the 40s-50s-60s? :P
I realize I am in the minority because I like train engines dark and drab, like GTW black/red, SP dark gray/scarlet red, NS, CMGN black, MIGN dark green, etc. So the colorful 40s-50s-60s era is not my favorite. Yet, I model the AA during the "blue bird" era and all my AA engines except one S1 are painted in the "blue bird" scheme.

As for the MQT GP's being painted like the colorful SD40-2 rather than the gray ghost version does anyone think they will get around to painting all their units the same?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

AARR wrote:As for the MQT GP's being painted like the colorful SD40-2 rather than the gray ghost version does anyone think they will get around to painting all their units the same?
Yes, because they already have the plans to do just that.
Bottom text.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Pretty matched Marquette power would get me over there for some "quality time" with them 8) :lol:
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Oh man.....it would definitely be worth it to come all the way back from Connecticut to the L Lake base to see some circus inspired Marquette lashups rolling through Baldwin and the northwest Michigan scenery! Can't wait to see them!

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Saw Grand Elk going north through GR at 44th St today approx 6:50pm...saw them in the rear view, but two Grand Elk engines leading, and what looked like GMTX 2191 trailing. So look for delivery to CSX tomorrow I'd guess and going north on MQT late Thurs night?
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

GMTX 2177, 2183, 2188 and 2192 have been on lease to the Providence & Worcester since mid October, 2010. They were leased to cover the additional miles of detouring ethanol trains on the New England Central to New London when the first ethanol train derailed on the Willimantic Branch and closed that route to haz mat cars. The 2188 was northbound on an mty ethanol train out of New London yesterday. The Willimantic Branch rebuild won't be completed until around June so it might be a while before those four units show up on the MQT. The four passed through Michigan on the GTW on their way to the P&W in October.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Gosh I suppose this means I should be out hunting these things down since they're in my new territory. Too bad the UP colors clash so badly with P&W's excellent black and red scheme (maybe this would be an AARR favorite, too?). I'll try to keep an eye out for them, though I'm in another part of CT from their usual home.

I wonder why they would come by a GDLK routing instead of a direct CSX routing? P&W has several interchange points with the CSX in Connecticut and Massachusetts. Seems like a MA-Selkirk-Willard-Toledo-Grand Rapids routing wouldn't be too hard to do. Oh well.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

GP30M4216 wrote:P&W's excellent black and red scheme (maybe this would be an AARR favorite, too?).
IMO not bad, little more black and less red would be better :wink: If you ever chase P & W please post. They are a great success story and have always been of interest to me. I had an opportunity to railfan their operations around Groton CT a few years back. They switched an asphalt plant, Pfizer (inbound tank cars), and a plastics plant in the area. At the time they mostly had GP38's and 38-2's on their roster and that is what a I saw.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

AARR wrote:
GP30M4216 wrote:P&W's excellent black and red scheme (maybe this would be an AARR favorite, too?).
IMO not bad, little more black and less red would be better :wink: If you ever chase P & W please post. They are a great success story and have always been of interest to me. I had an opportunity to railfan their operations around Groton CT a few years back. They switched an asphalt plant, Pfizer (inbound tank cars), and a plastics plant in the area. At the time they mostly had GP38's and 38-2's on their roster and that is what a I saw.
The P&W fleet includes a herd of B40-8's and a few ex-BNSF B40-8W's as well.
Bottom text.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Y@ wrote:
AARR wrote:
The P&W fleet includes a herd of B40-8's and a few ex-BNSF B40-8W's as well.
IIRC they also have a few Dash 7's including some ex BN B30-7AB's.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Conrail Jon wrote:
Y@ wrote:The P&W fleet includes a herd of B40-8's and a few ex-BNSF B40-8W's as well.
IIRC they also have a few Dash 7's including some ex BN B30-7AB's.
You guys are correct. They have assembled quite a fleet of GE's inlcuding B units.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

GP30M4216 wrote:I wonder why they would come by a GDLK routing instead of a direct CSX routing? P&W has several interchange points with the CSX in Connecticut and Massachusetts. Seems like a MA-Selkirk-Willard-Toledo-Grand Rapids routing wouldn't be too hard to do. Oh well.
Cheaper on the hockey players to the Bullwinkle at KaZOO. How tomorrow moves had a big price tag.

muskegonrr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by muskegonrr »

It took awhile to finally decide on units, but finally the decision was made based on a very important factor. Might as well get units that represent the colors of the West Michigan Phantoms and W&W Hooks!
Wooooooo Woooooooo

AveryRdhouse
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AveryRdhouse »

Screw your hockey. Put the local on and get things moving again. Who's worse to deal with ? You or CSX.
P.S. Can't wait to work with you next Friday night.......Buddy.
Bill