Page 1 of 1

NRE Silvis

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:12 pm
by NS3322
Several years ago a certain railfan soured relations between railfans and NRE management. Is this still the case? I was wondering if access to the deadline in Silvis is even possible. Is the road leading up to it public or owned by NRE?

Re: NRE Silvis

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:48 pm
by cfriedri
AFAIK there's not much of an opportunity to visit anything on the site without explicit permission.

Re: NRE Silvis

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:30 pm
by NS3322
cfriedri wrote:AFAIK there's not much of an opportunity to visit anything on the site without explicit permission.


How would I go about obtaining permission?

Re: NRE Silvis

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:32 pm
by NS3322
I've noticed several drive-by videos have been posted on YouTube.
Was this one (below) taken on NRE property?

Re: NRE Silvis

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:46 am
by MP73point4
NRE is NOT friendly at all. :evil: The road alongside the deadline is NRE property and they can/will run you off. You may be able to get away with a drive by, but I wouldn't linger.
The Iowa Interstate engine facility is right across the access road along part of the deadline and they don't seem to be as unfriendly about taking pictures from their parking lot - although that is private property as well.
As far as getting permission, I might look on their website for a phone number and give them a call regarding what you would need to do. I have seen photos taken on their property with permission, so it's not unheard of, but I don't know how those people gained access.

Re: NRE Silvis

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:19 pm
by NS3322
MP73point4 wrote:I might look on their website for a phone number and give them a call regarding what you would need to do. I have seen photos taken on their property with permission, so it's not unheard of, but I don't know how those people gained access.


I sent them an email regarding their photography policy with the response: "I am sorry we do not allow pictures to be taken."
So should I even bother calling the Silvis branch?

Re: NRE Silvis

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:54 pm
by Raildudes dad
NS3322 wrote:
MP73point4 wrote:I might look on their website for a phone number and give them a call regarding what you would need to do. I have seen photos taken on their property with permission, so it's not unheard of, but I don't know how those people gained access.


I sent them an email regarding their photography policy with the response: "I am sorry we do not allow pictures to be taken."
So should I even bother calling the Silvis branch?


What don't you get about "no"?

Re: NRE Silvis

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:03 am
by GreatLakesRailfan
Most of the pictures you've seen, which were taken with "permission" were taken by people who were doing business with the company. My understanding is that in the process of walking through the property looking for the unit that best met the customer's needs, the customer/customer representative was allowed to snap a couple quick photos of units they came across, but they were not on the property exclusively for pictures. Unless you're serious about making a major purchase from NRE, you're probably doing more harm than good at this point.

Re: NRE Silvis

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:35 am
by Jetlink
One option that would be legal that the owner might not appreciate would be a drone photo. They probably wouldn't like it but legally they can't really stop you from doing it.

Re: NRE Silvis

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:37 pm
by NS3322
NS3322 wrote:Several years ago a certain railfan soured relations between railfans and NRE management. Is this still the case? I was wondering if access to the deadline in Silvis is even possible. Is the road leading up to it public or owned by NRE?


I guess I'm purchasing a drone then.

Re: NRE Silvis

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:20 pm
by tadman
Here's drone footage.

https://youtu.be/BnNPAKUaUVg

Re: NRE Silvis

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:59 pm
by MQT1223
Why must you see what's in NRE?

Making it worse will not help in the future if things changed.