Napolean, Defiance & Western Railraod

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Napolean, Defiance & Western Railraod

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

The Napolean Defiance & Western Railraod has the title of the worst railraod tracks and its someting I would wanna document what days do they run and what times do they leave Defiance?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Napolean, Defiance & Western Railraod

Unread post by ~Z~ »

While there's no start times listed here, it's generally a weekday operation. The tracks were rehabbed majorly not long after the video you probably watched, was filmed. About a decade ago at this point that they started, so it's not going to look the same as it did back when that video was made. Check the wiki for more info: https://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/ ... 26_Western
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

The ND&W is not the Maumee & Western.
Let's see... How does that go?
Read more, think more, post less.

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

~Z~ wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:49 am
While there's no start times listed here, it's generally a weekday operation. The tracks were rehabbed majorly not long after the video you probably watched, was filmed. About a decade ago at this point that they started, so it's not going to look the same as it did back when that video was made. Check the wiki for more info: https://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/ ... 26_Western

Okay thank you so I understand they run Monday through Saturday but are they a morning railroad or just whenever?

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Best thing to do is to either start at Woodburn, Defiance or Napoleon, and just follow the line from whichever point you start at. Also, the days of "world's worst railroad" are well in the rearview mirror now thanks to the various programs to upgrade the track.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

DaveO wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:29 am
What’s the Maumee & Western? I didn’t see it mentioned here.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Nick posted that the ND&W has the thitle of "worst railroad tracks" which is incorrect. DaveO correctly pointed out that The Maumee & Western did.
LansingRailFan wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:18 am
DaveO wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:29 am
What’s the Maumee & Western? I didn’t see it mentioned here.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Maumee and Western (MAW) was the operator of the ex-N&W (Wabash) 5th district line from Toledo to New Haven, Indiana. NS sold the line to Indiana High Rail, who subsequently sold the line to the Maumee and Western. Due to years of defered maintainance dating back to the days of the N&W (and maybe Wabash), the line was in terrible shape. During the years under MAW ownership the tracks were really bad and earned the title " worst tracks in America."

Pioneer Railcorp (since sold to Patriot Rail in 2022 after several ownership changes of Pioneer Railcorp.

To say how things have changed from the "worst tracks in America" time. ND&W was named the Shortline of the Year by Railway Age. The rehab projects which have run since 2013 have created a much better railroad.