CCET operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
LC&S
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CCET operations

Unread post by LC&S »

CSX_CO wrote:
midland sub wrote:Interesting the owners of the company have made the decision to have a caboose available for safety reasons for their employees and a railfan here is smarter than they are.....?
Heypal back at it. I'd go in more depth but it would be like the joke regarding the airplane. Way over their heads...
You know I was warned about you 2 when I joined this forum about a month ago. There is no reason to act like know it alls. You can have a simple discussion without the off handed comments.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Hold on now. I just asking a question and matter of fact let me ask one more. Your saying and I understand the rails are rusty at least up east. Yet the CCET has been running two sometimes three trains a week up east. Some with several cars. The rails up that way are not as rusty as they have been months ago. It appears that in some of Jawtooth's video's there are two guys on the CCET on the outside of the engine at times. Most likely three workers on each run up and back. No all signals are stuck only a few. Now you say that this is caused by rusty rails? I would think the CCET would be getting someone up there to fix the signals.

Now if they have a signal that isn't stuck and a car as has been see on a video goes over the tracks when the CCET is proceeding and that person gets hit because the signals are not working the CCET will be responsible. It just doesn't make sense that the CCET doesn't get the all the signals and the crossing gates fixed on the Peavine. Surely they don't stop at every crossing and direct traffic. Your saying as long as the CCET performs weekly or monthly reviews of the signals they are not libel? Hate to differ with you guys but I would think any attorney will win a case if a train hits a car when a signal or crossing gate doesn't work properly. Especially since many signals on that line are not working properly anyway.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

There's a bit more into the rusty rail conditions than them running a couple of times a week. Rust builds up on the detection circuits and other parts that a train running over the top of the rail isn't really knocking the rust off of. That's why there's been written guidelines about rusty rail conditions for years on railroads. Factor in the monsoon rains the past 6 to 8 weeks and it's not surprising they are having issues at some of the crossings. Don't think for a second CCET has been neglecting this issue. Federal and state regulations cover inspections and documenting such inspections.

https://www.fra.dot.gov/Page/P0040
http://signaldepartment.com/articles/xi ... fault.html

As for the lawsuit issues. It comes down to simple traffic laws. They stop and flag the crossing. Once they proceed through the crossing it's on you to stop the same way if you come upon a traffic light at an intersection with the power out.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

LC&S wrote:You know I was warned about you 2 when I joined this forum about a month ago. There is no reason to act like know it alls. You can have a simple discussion without the off handed comments.
And you two are going around throwing accusations of gross negligence on the part of the railroad. No one is being a 'know it all', but a little knowledge goes a long way. In fact, if it is posted on a public forum such as this, they can probably come after you for libel if they wanted. So, best bet before throwing accusations is educate yourself a little bit. The CFR from the FRA for most of the stuff the railroads are governed by is on-line or in .pdf form. While dry reading, it would explain the laws and regulations for anything and everything on the railroad. So rather than assuming they are not doing everything they should (which has some major legal and financial ramifications) it might be wise to read up a little bit.

Just because you run trains, doesn't eliminate 'rusty rail' conditions. Plus, with "stop and flag" procedures, (to which Midland Sub attempted to inform you of) if someone hits the side of the train, it is probably on them. Don't forget that railroad crossing signs are "yield" signs in most states traffic laws. Just because they aren't on, doesn't mean you can blow through it. You still have to approach prepared to stop for a train, thus the 'stop and flag' by the railroad crews to compensate for the 'rusty rail' and 'activation failures'.
Last edited by CSX_CO on Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Warned? Warned that the few of us that are left that know something about the industry from the inside and occasionally still take the time to share a different view of what's being discussed? I still don't get the froth and hurt feelings the Peavine discussions stir up. For that reason alone there's no point in sharing the details on the grain traffic.

LC&S wrote:You know I was warned about you 2 when I joined this forum about a month ago. There is no reason to act like know it alls. You can have a simple discussion without the off handed comments.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

LC&S wrote: That being said, as far as hanging on the side of a boxcar in cold weather, the guys that take those conductor jobs know that is part of it going in
Wow....

So using your line of thinking, police officers shouldn't get bullet proof vests, as they knew getting shot might be part of the job going in.
Race tracks should not be putting in "soft walls" as drivers knew crashing might be part of the job going in.
And so on...

Using something that can help safety is a good thing.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

From now on this is a read forum. No use in asking questions. I will just read and learn before I type in a question. Thanks for all your useful info. Much appreciated the PDF.

Saw the caboose on the siding today on the Peavine.

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

heypal6878 wrote:From now on this is a read forum.
Thank you. You really had nothing to offer here anyways.
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

You don't know what you don't know so why not ask? My suggestion is reading whatever you're going to post a couple of times before you do. If something doesn't make sense to you just say it doesn't and why.

heypal6878 wrote:From now on this is a read forum. No use in asking questions. I will just read and learn before I type in a question. Thanks for all your useful info. Much appreciated the PDF.

Saw the caboose on the siding today on the Peavine.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Why do you guys hate the Peavine so much? Anyone who post anything about the Vine gets slammed. Others have posted here and they also get the same treatment. Lighten up!

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

FYI, appears LC&S isn't "new" as he claimed, and appears to be Cumbres from what I've come to understand. LC&S also added to the noobcakes group so his posts are now moderated before being seen.

This thread sucks; locking, thank you, drive thru.

Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com