Crossing information spreadsheet

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Crossing information spreadsheet

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Found a reference to the FRA's crossing list. Can select Michigan, hit download, and open up in your spreadsheet program(Excel, Libreoffice, etc). Shows data for every railroad crossing in Michigan, milepost number, owner, phone number to contact in case of issue, number of trains recorded in a sample day, crossing protection type, speed limits...lots of info.
https://safetydata.fra.dot.gov/officeof ... yData.aspx
Trains per day column headers: DayThru - trains between 6am-6pm. NghtThru - trains between 6pm-6am. TotalSwt - total switching train moves. WeekTrnMov - weekly train moves if they often have zero trains on some days.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: Crossing information spreadsheet

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Use with caution - lots of inaccuracies

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Can you give some examples of the inaccuracies so we know what to be on the lookout for? Or is it just generally outdated or something else?
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Jetlink wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:18 pm
Can you give some examples of the inaccuracies so we know what to be on the lookout for? Or is it just generally outdated or something else?
The database relies on railroad managers to keep the data current - not often a top priority - so a lot of stuff is out of date. Also not a high level of accuracy also, I've seen lots of train counts being wildly off. Some of the shortline stuff is actually pretty good, but the Class Ones seem to have people at HQ punching in numbers who don't know what is right or wrong.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

There is also an app! Easy to use map, zoom in and click your crossing. App is from the FRA.
iOS:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/rail-cros ... d643005214

Shows all of that detailed information, along with data reports of every (reported) collision that has ever happened at that crossing.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

"Can you give some examples of the inaccuracies so we know what to be on the lookout for? Or is it just generally outdated or something else?

Look at the CPMY. The GR leased to Marne in 1998?. It was not renewed in 2003. It still shows it's leased. In defense of the poor RR person that gets to fill out the form, I have not seen anything more confusing. I had to change Walker Ave from a grade separation to a grade crossing. I finally cried uncle and asked MDOT Rail to do it for me.