Shortline Train Location Updates - March 2021

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
GP30M4216
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 3865
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:35 pm
Location: Feel the Zeel, MI
Contact:

Re: Shortline Train Location Updates - March 2021

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

My wife and I went to Perrin in Comstock Park on our first date to a restaurant in 364 days today. A good chance to scope out the concentration of MQT served industries in the industrial park! QLF had at least 10 tankcars on their spur and the run around track there. All 3 other industries in that area had empty sidings, at least visible from outdoors. It looks like Weekes in the only switch served on their southbound run. Is it correct that they work the other three on their northbound journey?

kd_1014
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 527
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:29 pm
Location: Creston, Grand Rapids

Re: Shortline Train Location Updates - March 2021

Unread post by kd_1014 »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:05 pm
My wife and I went to Perrin in Comstock Park on our first date to a restaurant in 364 days today. A good chance to scope out the concentration of MQT served industries in the industrial park! QLF had at least 10 tankcars on their spur and the run around track there. All 3 other industries in that area had empty sidings, at least visible from outdoors. It looks like Weekes in the only switch served on their southbound run. Is it correct that they work the other three on their northbound journey?
They sometimes work QLF on their southbound run, parking the train north of Vinton(?) road and utilizing the runaround track.
i'm so fresh, they call me fabreeze

User avatar
MS Railfan
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 6:50 pm

Re: Shortline Train Location Updates - March 2021

Unread post by MS Railfan »

Just heard the MSRR at 10:23 A.M. Not sure of the direction, but I am assuming he's going southbound to drop off empties and pick up loaded cars. I heard him near the High School. Not sure of the consist or what Locomotive is leading.
Got to go, I hear a train coming... :D

User avatar
Talk
Keeps Talking
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu May 28, 2020 4:37 pm
Location: The Taco Fiesta Parking Lot
Contact:

Re: Shortline Train Location Updates - March 2021

Unread post by Talk »

MS Railfan wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:47 am
Just heard the MSRR at 10:23 A.M. Not sure of the direction, but I am assuming he's going southbound to drop off empties and pick up loaded cars. I heard him near the High School. Not sure of the consist or what Locomotive is leading.
I'd guess a 1-2pm return for him, Nice to see Z627 running in Daylight!
Ironically bad at Small Talk
-
Check out my Flickr... It could be better though 8)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlieohlendorf/

User avatar
LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 1750
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:21 pm
Location: Lansing

Re: Shortline Train Location Updates - March 2021

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

JAIL crossed Michigan Avenue in Lansing NB at 10:30 AM. 1760/1758

User avatar
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan
Posts: 8862
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:59 pm
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Shortline Train Location Updates - March 2021

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Talk wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:08 am
MS Railfan wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:47 am
Just heard the MSRR at 10:23 A.M. Not sure of the direction, but I am assuming he's going southbound to drop off empties and pick up loaded cars. I heard him near the High School. Not sure of the consist or what Locomotive is leading.
I'd guess a 1-2pm return for him, Nice to see Z627 running in Daylight!
As of today, they are back to daytime on the Z627.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/
Image

User avatar
MS Railfan
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 6:50 pm

Re: Shortline Train Location Updates - March 2021

Unread post by MS Railfan »

Nice, it will be much easier to chase them
Got to go, I hear a train coming... :D

User avatar
Talk
Keeps Talking
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu May 28, 2020 4:37 pm
Location: The Taco Fiesta Parking Lot
Contact:

Re: Shortline Train Location Updates - March 2021

Unread post by Talk »

SD80MAC wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:32 am
Talk wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:08 am
MS Railfan wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:47 am
Just heard the MSRR at 10:23 A.M. Not sure of the direction, but I am assuming he's going southbound to drop off empties and pick up loaded cars. I heard him near the High School. Not sure of the consist or what Locomotive is leading.
I'd guess a 1-2pm return for him, Nice to see Z627 running in Daylight!
As of today, they are back to daytime on the Z627.
That is excellent news!

Z627 os East Leg Southbound, 2170 leading, 2019 trail? 11:46
Z627 calling RN; Asking for Signal for Headroom and Departure 12:06
Ironically bad at Small Talk
-
Check out my Flickr... It could be better though 8)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlieohlendorf/

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster
Posts: 4668
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:12 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Shortline Train Location Updates - March 2021

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:05 pm
My wife and I went to Perrin in Comstock Park on our first date to a restaurant in 364 days today. A good chance to scope out the concentration of MQT served industries in the industrial park! QLF had at least 10 tankcars on their spur and the run around track there. All 3 other industries in that area had empty sidings, at least visible from outdoors. It looks like Weekes in the only switch served on their southbound run. Is it correct that they work the other three on their northbound journey?
QLF and Weeks are the only 2 active customers. Harris Rebar/Ambassador Steel has been replaced by a mechanical contractor who has extensively remodeled the property. The transload at the old GR Sash and Door property has been leased to 2 electrical contractors. Neither of the sidings are in use.

User avatar
J T
Hates Supper
Posts: 10716
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:23 pm
Location: Grand Rapids
Contact:

Re: Shortline Train Location Updates - March 2021

Unread post by J T »

Talk wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:46 am
Z627 os East Leg Southbound, 2170 leading, 2019 trail? 11:46
Z627 calling RN; Asking for Signal for Headroom and Departure 12:06
According to Saturnalia, these updates should be posted in the CSX thread because, you know, this train is on CSX rails.

User avatar
Talk
Keeps Talking
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu May 28, 2020 4:37 pm
Location: The Taco Fiesta Parking Lot
Contact:

Re: Shortline Train Location Updates - March 2021

Unread post by Talk »

J T wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:19 pm
Talk wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:46 am
Z627 os East Leg Southbound, 2170 leading, 2019 trail? 11:46
Z627 calling RN; Asking for Signal for Headroom and Departure 12:06
According to Saturnalia, these updates should be posted in the CSX thread because, you know, this train is on CSX rails.
I'm not trying to start any drama, I posted very similar updates in both :D
Ironically bad at Small Talk
-
Check out my Flickr... It could be better though 8)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlieohlendorf/

User avatar
LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 1750
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:21 pm
Location: Lansing

Re: Shortline Train Location Updates - March 2021

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

J T wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:19 pm
Talk wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:46 am
Z627 os East Leg Southbound, 2170 leading, 2019 trail? 11:46
Z627 calling RN; Asking for Signal for Headroom and Departure 12:06
According to Saturnalia, these updates should be posted in the CSX thread because, you know, this train is on CSX rails.
SUPPER SUPPER SUPPER

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:14 pm

Re: Shortline Train Location Updates - March 2021

Unread post by Jim_c »

GDLK was NB from Plainwell maybe 45ish minutes ago. Didn't see it, but heard it. Sorry for the rather vague time line.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

User avatar
~Z~
Sofa King Admin
Posts: 11214
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:14 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Contact:

Re: Shortline Train Location Updates - March 2021

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Grand Elk north through Byron Center at 4:10pm. WAMX 4206, WAMX 4124, and 17 cars. Hoppers followed by boxcars.
From Jim's post and their lack of tank cars on the headend, doesn't sound like they stopped after leaving Plainwell.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

User avatar
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat
Posts: 14099
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:54 pm
Location: Michigan City, IN
Contact:

Re: Shortline Train Location Updates - March 2021

Unread post by Saturnalia »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:31 pm
J T wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:19 pm
Talk wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:46 am
Z627 os East Leg Southbound, 2170 leading, 2019 trail? 11:46
Z627 calling RN; Asking for Signal for Headroom and Departure 12:06
According to Saturnalia, these updates should be posted in the CSX thread because, you know, this train is on CSX rails.
SUPPER SUPPER SUPPER
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is equivalent to spraying water in a cat's face. I love it.

Seems to me our standard has always been largely based around which railroad the train is on. But, I don't mind the MS, GRE, and MQT updates in the CSX thread either, it has been done at times historically and I read both.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

User avatar
J T
Hates Supper
Posts: 10716
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:23 pm
Location: Grand Rapids
Contact:

Re: Shortline Train Location Updates - March 2021

Unread post by J T »

Saturnalia wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:24 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:31 pm
J T wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:19 pm


According to Saturnalia, these updates should be posted in the CSX thread because, you know, this train is on CSX rails.
SUPPER SUPPER SUPPER
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is equivalent to spraying water in a cat's face. I love it.

Seems to me our standard has always been largely based around which railroad the train is on. But, I don't mind the MS, GRE, and MQT updates in the CSX thread either, it has been done at times historically and I read both.
Stop being weird.

User avatar
J T
Hates Supper
Posts: 10716
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:23 pm
Location: Grand Rapids
Contact:

Re: Shortline Train Location Updates - March 2021

Unread post by J T »

~Z~ wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:11 pm
Grand Elk north through Byron Center at 4:10pm. WAMX 4206, WAMX 4124, and 17 cars. Hoppers followed by boxcars.
From Jim's post and their lack of tank cars on the headend, doesn't sound like they stopped after leaving Plainwell.
So they might be heading back south in daylight?

User avatar
~Z~
Sofa King Admin
Posts: 11214
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:14 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Contact:

Re: Shortline Train Location Updates - March 2021

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Grand Elk back south through Byron Center at 7:08 with 4124, 4206, and a massive 91 cars. Last 40 or so were sand hoppers.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:14 pm

Re: Shortline Train Location Updates - March 2021

Unread post by Jim_c »

~Z~ wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:10 pm
Grand Elk back south through Byron Center at 7:08 with 4124, 4206, and a massive 91 cars. Last 40 or so were sand hoppers.
Taking their own sweet time coming south. I don't even hear the HOT/EOT devices yet.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

kd_1014
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 527
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:29 pm
Location: Creston, Grand Rapids

Re: Shortline Train Location Updates - March 2021

Unread post by kd_1014 »

~Z~ wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:10 pm
Grand Elk back south through Byron Center at 7:08 with 4124, 4206, and a massive 91 cars. Last 40 or so were sand hoppers.
Must be taking those sandies out of storage.
i'm so fresh, they call me fabreeze

Locked