Essexville coal source question

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
odave
Railroadfan...fan

Essexville coal source question

Unread post by odave »

Question for you coal fans - has the power plant in Essexville always received eastern and western coal, or did they start up with one and add the other later?

Thanks!

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Well odave if my memory serves me well and the older i am getting the lesser it is serving me, the plant in essixeville was fully completed to its present size in 1969. at that time the green and yellow PCCX cars were built and were retired in 1979 and 1980. and the CPOX cars were built at that time and they were retired in 1995. and the CSCX cars started showing up at that time. penn central brought the coal in from southern ohio. and i think the contract ended in 1983, becuse conrail power ran through genesse yard in saginaw from durand, after that year i never saw conrail power on the coal trains again. i remember i was standing at genesse street about 1978 late that year and i could not believe the power that was on a coal train for essixeville, it had a conrail U25B IN THE LEAD!! and two ERIE LACKAWANNA in full EL paint SD45's!!! with the flared radiaters AND NO CAMERA!! the first time i saw a western coal train in saginaw was in 1989. on the CMGN, it was 114 loads in old BN system hoppers and for power was four CMGN U23B's!

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

Great info pc, thanks again!