Detroit Terminal Question

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Detroit Terminal Question

Unread post by chapmaja »

Looking on the Michigan Railroads historical information page, I see that the Detroit Terminal wasn't absorbed into Conrail until 1981. Was this due to the half ownership from the LS&MS / MS (by this point Conrail) and the GT? Was giving up the ownership of the Detroit Terminal a concession related to the GT's takeover of the DT&I or D&TSL?

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Detroit Terminal Question

Unread post by Manistique »

chapmaja wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:18 am
Looking on the Michigan Railroads historical information page, I see that the Detroit Terminal wasn't absorbed into Conrail until 1981. Was this due to the half ownership from the LS&MS / MS (by this point Conrail) and the GT? Was giving up the ownership of the Detroit Terminal a concession related to the GT's takeover of the DT&I or D&TSL?
Yes and yes.

GTW supposedly sold it for $1 to Conrail. I am not sure if it was a concession or not but it did have something to do with GTW buying one of those lines, I think DT&I. And I think that they just didn't need DTRR anymore what with all the mergers that had taken place and the lack of industries on DTRR by then. Plus DTRR needed a lot of money, it was in horrible shape. And GTW management wanted to focus on their new lines and forget DTRR.