Operations of N&W Tecumseh Branch

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Operations of N&W Tecumseh Branch

Unread post by chapmaja »

There seems to be some confusion regarding operations of the Tecumseh Branch by N&W/NS to serve Fisher Body in Tecumseh. Some people say N&W/NS never served the plant, while I believe they did serve the plant. Does anyone have evidence this plant was served by N&W\NS before the line was removed in 1990?

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Operations of N&W Tecumseh Branch

Unread post by GRHC »

I’m looking at a topographical map from 1975 and it shows that only the Detroit Toledo and Ironton and the Penn Central served Tecumseh Michigan.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

GRHC wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:11 pm
I’m looking at a topographical map from 1975 and it shows that only the Detroit Toledo and Ironton and the Penn Central served Tecumseh Michigan.
The DT&I section from Adrian to Tecumseh was sold to N&W in the late 70's when the rest of the DT&I branch east of Tecumseh and south of Adrian was removed.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

chapmaja wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:37 pm
GRHC wrote:
The DT&I section from Adrian to Tecumseh was sold to N&W in the late 70's when the rest of the DT&I branch east of Tecumseh and south of Adrian was removed.
According to this map it shows the DT&I/NW line from Adrian to Tecumseh was taken up in 1985
B107C88A-F5FB-48CA-BF69-2B2534032CE6.jpeg
Here’s a topographical map from 1975 hope this helps you out
https://caltopo.com/map.html
D11FFE37-8C0D-4E60-92BD-2C41733C279B.jpeg

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

In The Detroit, Toledo and Ironton Railroad Henry Ford's Railroad by Scott D. Trostel the segment from Adrian to the auto plant near Tecumseh was sold to N&W in 1978 for the purpose of N&W serving the auto plant.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Looking at these maps and then the Michigan Railroads maps of Lenawee County and Monroe country raises more questions.

I know the original DT&I line, as the Detroit and Lima came up through Wauseon, Ohio, then comes across the border to a location alongside or near the Wabash/N&W/NS line southwest of Adrian. Did it then parallel the Wabash mailine up into Adrian, before crossing that line in Adrian and snaking it's way up to Tecumseh?

Now, in Tecumseh things get a bit confusing again. Michigan Railroads maps shows three lines into Tecumseh. The north south (now SMRS) line was last operated by Conrail into the 1980's. You also had the DT&I which came up into Tecumseh and then joined into the DT&M line running east-west. This line then headed east, through Britton (crossing the Wabash line) and headed to Dundee.

This is where I get confused again. Looking at the maps going into Dundee, it appears that at one time the the DT&M ended right near where Clean-Tec is currently served by the Ann Arbor.

It appears that at one time, before the Malinta cut-off was built, the DT&I ran from this point to Durban, east-north-east of Dundee.

Looking near Clean-Tec, it appears the DT&M went west--north-west from the spot, while a second line appeared to curve southwest. This line appears to be the line that later curves south and then southeast and appears to be the former Toledo Branch of the DT&I, which was pulled up in 1965 in favor or Ann Arbor trackage rights.

I guess this begs the question, when did the DT&I gain control of the line from Dundee to Tecumseh from the DT&M, which had to be their access to Tecumseh from the east?

Also, when was the DT&M pulled up west of Tecumseh?

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

chapmaja wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:10 pm
Looking at these maps and then the Michigan Railroads maps of Lenawee County and Monroe country raises more questions.

I know the original DT&I line, as the Detroit and Lima came up through Wauseon, Ohio, then comes across the border to a location alongside or near the Wabash/N&W/NS line southwest of Adrian. Did it then parallel the Wabash mailine up into Adrian, before crossing that line in Adrian and snaking it's way up to Tecumseh?

Now, in Tecumseh things get a bit confusing again. Michigan Railroads maps shows three lines into Tecumseh. The north south (now SMRS) line was last operated by Conrail into the 1980's. You also had the DT&I which came up into Tecumseh and then joined into the DT&M line running east-west. This line then headed east, through Britton (crossing the Wabash line) and headed to Dundee.

This is where I get confused again. Looking at the maps going into Dundee, it appears that at one time the the DT&M ended right near where Clean-Tec is currently served by the Ann Arbor.

It appears that at one time, before the Malinta cut-off was built, the DT&I ran from this point to Durban, east-north-east of Dundee.

Looking near Clean-Tec, it appears the DT&M went west--north-west from the spot, while a second line appeared to curve southwest. This line appears to be the line that later curves south and then southeast and appears to be the former Toledo Branch of the DT&I, which was pulled up in 1965 in favor or Ann Arbor trackage rights.

I guess this begs the question, when did the DT&I gain control of the line from Dundee to Tecumseh from the DT&M, which had to be their access to Tecumseh from the east?

Also, when was the DT&M pulled up west of Tecumseh?
That last question… I believe that line was a victim of the depression so… 1932 I think. Probably the same answer for your previous question. Remember too that once the line was torn up through Britton the tower there with the Wabash went to Milan to be used there when the original was destroyed in a wreck in the late 30’s or so. I think this would preclude its use by the DT&I from Dundee to Tecumseh. The Malinta Cutoff existed by then anyways.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

zintac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by zintac »

GRHC wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:01 pm
chapmaja wrote:
GRHC wrote:
According to this map it shows the DT&I/NW line from Adrian to Tecumseh was taken up in 1985

Do you have a link to the first's maps web site. I lost some books marks and know i had that site saved. Thanks
Long Live the C&O

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

zintac wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:02 pm
GRHC wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:01 pm
chapmaja wrote:

Do you have a link to the first's maps web site. I lost some books marks and know i had that site saved. Thanks
https://www.michiganrailroads.com/evolu ... tion-1970s

Macowiec
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Macowiec »

N&W served the Fisher Body/Inland Guide plant at Tecumseh until 1983.
SMRS 1982-88, IHRC 1989-90, KJRY 1991-94, UP 1994-2000

Publisher of Tecumsehjunction.com

Full European rail booking on my site: polrail.com

ATTM4150
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ATTM4150 »

Just wish the Tecumseh Branch still was connected to the NS or A&B

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Create a paper railroad of a modern ADBF with the branch still in place. https://railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=24
ATTM4150 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:33 pm
Just wish the Tecumseh Branch still was connected to the NS or A&B
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »