NYC Bay City Branch bridge date

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

NYC Bay City Branch bridge date

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

A friend of mine is involved in a project documenting the history of one of the bridges on the former NYC Bay City Branch near Rochester. Of course, this ROW is now a walking trail and the railroad bridge structure will likely be replaced in the upcoming years, but they're trying to research its history now before that happens. It's the bridge over Paint Creek to the immediate northwest of Woodward Avenue, east of the Great Oaks Country Club, just NW of downtown Rochester.

The couple photos I've seen of it show what looks much like a typical wooden trestle deck-style bridge. The Bay City Line was in service for over 100 years, and I think they're just trying to get a sense of, "is this an 1890 bridge or a 1920 bridge or a 1960s bridge." Are there any good sources for this type of date information? Any help is appreciated!

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NYC Bay City Branch bridge date

Unread post by Steve B »

Check with the NYCSHS, maybe they have a engineering dept. bridge book/list with dates. I've seen such a thing for the Ann Arbor RR.