Downfall of Plymouth

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Downfall of Plymouth

Unread post by CSXBOY »

I just was watching a video on Youtube about the city of Plymouth and the guy in the video was griping about the train traffic in Plymouth MI and I would always hear stories from friends and family about how annoying the trains are in Plymouth. I live near Plymouth on the CSX Detroit Sub and I go through there quite often going to and from work and doing errands and etc. I never get caught by trains or see something lined in forever. I think it is way down from 20 trains a day. I dont even think we top fifteen in a 24 hour period anymore. But what led to this downfall of traffic from the late 1990s? I was told it topped 48. I have a hard time believing it. 38 sounds more reasonable up until the 2008 recession. It also cannot because of CP leaving because they only ran 6-8 trains a day I think. Would anyone on here be able to tell me what happened? Did the economy just tank after 2002?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Downfall of Plymouth

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Many things have contributed to the decline of rail traffic in the greater Detroit area. The biggest blow was the advent of NAFTA and the the closing of many, many automotive plants in Michigan as they were outsourced to other countries. When those left, so did much of the raw material, auto parts, and finished automobile traffic.

On the Plymouth Sub in particular, you had around 8-12 CP trains a day in the early to mid 2000s, plus 6 scheduled CSX road freights and several extras like coal, coke, grain, and stone. Even after CP pulled every train but X500 in December of 2005, you could still see 6-8 trains a day between GR and Plymouth on a typical day. First to leave were Q336 and Q337 to Flint. Then the coke trains, after the mills in Indiana switched suppliers and coke from Detroit was no longer consumed. Next were X500 and Q326 and Q327 to Detroit. That left Q334 and Q335 as the only scheduled road trains, but they too went bye bye in 2016. The stone trains also disappeared around that time, that traffic moving in regular trains. They tried a whole bunch of goofy operating plans after that, until finally settling on the current GR-DET local set up.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Downfall of Plymouth

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Wow thats crazy how everything has shifted in the last 20 years or so.