Ludington and Elmdale Sub Customers

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Ludington and Elmdale Sub Customers

Unread post by BamaSubdivision94 »

Does anybody know all the customers served by the C&O between Saginaw and Ludington/Elmdale on their respective subdivisions?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Ludington and Elmdale Sub Customers

Unread post by AARR »

I have a Ludington from Baldwin to Midland list from the late 1980's.
- There was something in Sanford
- Coleman had a small elevator and plastic packaging plant
- Clare had Latherer Truss and Mid-Michigan Recycling
- Evart had Evart Products
- Reed City had one or two smaller customers

When I get home tonight, if I missed any I will post it.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

BamaSubdivision94 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:15 am
Does anybody know all the customers served by the C&O between Saginaw and Ludington/Elmdale on their respective subdivisions?
At what point in time?

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BamaSubdivision94 »

Standard Railfan wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:04 pm
BamaSubdivision94 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:15 am
At what point in time?
I'm curious about the 1970s/early 80s, specifically any time between 1976 and 1982 before the Elmdale Sub was split.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

From what I remember, Reed City had these....starting at the east end of town, there was a place that got in telephone poles and across Roth Street from there, a place got in LPG. The interchange track was in the NE quadrant of the diamond. I only saw this once, but pretty sure it happened before, there were boxcars of lumber that were spotted right next to Davenport St. on what was left of the trackage that used to go to the hardwood flooring plant, and west of US 131 (at that time), the grain elevator got cars in. When I was able to watch the local come into town, they usually did their switching of the customers east of the diamond on their eastbound move to Evart and left their pickup there so as to not have extra cars to mess with in Evart. On the way back, they would pick up the previously switched cars and then spot the grain elevator on the way outta town.

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

I'm working on an update of the River Valley Rail-Trails web site. These are the rail trails on the former railroad corridors between Lowell & Greenville (C&O etc.) and the GTW etc. between Lowell and Ionia. Eventually this will also include Lowell-Elmdale when the purchase of that property is finally finalized. Looking to include an informative history of the railroads operated on the these lines. Willing to accept anything of interest: ownership changes, customers, operations etc. Would especially like to include photos if anyone is willing to share them. We will credit everyone with their submissions unless you prefer not to. If anyone can recommend good sources of this information I will be happy to do the digging myself. Thanks!