Railroad Car Ferry in Jackson County, MI

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Railroad Car Ferry in Jackson County, MI

Unread post by NS3322 »

For some reason I have this vague memory of reading on michiganrailroads.com a long time ago (2010/2011) that there was a short lived car ferry across a lake in Jackson County.
I remember it being specifically mentioned as a topic for a then upcoming meeting of the Michigan Railroad Club. There was no other information, just the teaser.
Is my brain playing tricks on me, or did this actually happen?

It may have been Lake Somerset? But that is in Hillsdale County...

DriverJon
South Lyon Boys

Re: Railroad Car Ferry in Jackson County, MI

Unread post by DriverJon »

NS3322 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:35 pm
For some reason I have this vague memory of reading on michiganrailroads.com a long time ago (2010/2011) that there was a short lived car ferry across a lake in Jackson County.
I remember it being specifically mentioned as a topic for a then upcoming meeting of the Michigan Railroad Club. There was no other information, just the teaser.
Is my brain playing tricks on me, or did this actually happen?

It may have been Lake Somerset? But that is in Hillsdale County...
any idea what railroad it was? i was able to find the snapshots of the website from 2010/2011 and has a long list car ferries

maybe the name of the lake? the ships that were used? anything is helpful

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

They used to load cars on barges off the Air line at Lime Lake in Jackson. This thread talks about it. http://www.railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewto ... 7&p=329416

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Scooterb wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:28 pm
They used to load cars on barges off the Air line at Lime Lake in Jackson. This thread talks about it. http://www.railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewto ... 7&p=329416
Yep that was the lake.

Thanks! I was also looking for that hidden gem of a thread which has rare photos of the stock cars in Burlington!