NYC Lines to Tri City Area

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

NYC Lines to Tri City Area

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

I was checking out the old NYC rows that run up to the Tri City area (Detroit-Bay City via Lapeer and Jackson-Bay City via Owosso) on Google Maps, and it was making me wonder what the story was with these lines, so I have a few questions I was wondering if someone could answer, specifically about the Lansing-Saginaw portion of the west line, and the Rochester-Bay City portion of the east line:

1. What were the subdivision names for them?
2. When did they begin to diminish in importance? I'm assuming sometime in the 1960s, but I'm not sure.
3. Before (1950s?) their downfalls, what was the approx. train count like on both? Were they ever busy mainlines, or just out of the way branch lines with lesser traffic?

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NYC Lines to Tri City Area

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

At least in the 60's and beyond, Detroit to Mackinaw via Saginaw/Bay City was the "Mackinaw Branch" and Jackson to Saginaw (Genesee St) was the "Saginaw Branch." NYC/PC didn't really use the term subdivision for their lines. They were either a main line, like "Main Line Buffalo to Chicago via Canada" or designated as a "branch line." I'll defer to others on your other questions, although I do remember some train symbols from the 60's.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Re: NYC Lines to Tri City Area

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

C&O Dispatcher wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:34 pm
At least in the 60's and beyond, Detroit to Mackinaw via Saginaw/Bay City was the "Mackinaw Branch" and Jackson to Saginaw (Genesee St) was the "Saginaw Branch." NYC/PC didn't really use the term subdivision for their lines. They were either a main line, like "Main Line Buffalo to Chicago via Canada" or designated as a "branch line." I'll defer to others on your other questions, although I do remember some train symbols from the 60's.
Thanks for the info!