PH&D Roundhouse

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

PH&D Roundhouse

Unread post by AARR »

From the other board. Looks like the PH&D Roundhouse was or will be torn down https://members4.boardhost.com/RRHXHist ... 29166.html. I talked to someone who worked at the St. Clair salt mine during the 1960's and he said they would get switched twice per day. The first switch would pull 20+ box cars and the 2nd switch less than 10.
Posted by milw555 on 5/12/2021, 10:19 am
The Port Huron Times Herald is reporting that the 100+ year old PH&D roundhouse is being demolished this week. By their pictures it looks to have already taken place.
Jim
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: PH&D Roundhouse

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

AARR wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:13 pm
From the other board. Looks like the PH&D Roundhouse was or will be torn down https://members4.boardhost.com/RRHXHist ... 29166.html. I talked to someone who worked at the St. Clair salt mine during the 1960's and he said they would get switched twice per day. The first switch would pull 20+ box cars and the 2nd switch less than 10.
Posted by milw555 on 5/12/2021, 10:19 am
The Port Huron Times Herald is reporting that the 100+ year old PH&D roundhouse is being demolished this week. By their pictures it looks to have already taken place.
Jim

Yes, it’s down. RIP.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: PH&D Roundhouse

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

That old eyesore was coming down on its own anyway, but the west wall was on top of the parking lot/access road CSX uses to get to the old PH&D yard to the west of the roundhouse. It was bad enough when a wire fell over that access path last year, chunks of roundhouse wall falling/lying in the parking lot there would present a much more dangerous situation.

It's too bad they didn't knock it down a couple years ago- the empty lot would've made a great parking lot for events up at the wye in years past.
~ Charles W.