Rifkins in Saginaw

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Rifkins in Saginaw

Unread post by AARR »

Maybe we can take a shot at some of these questions from Alex at the other board https://members4.boardhost.com/OtherMic ... 86806.html
Posted by Alex on 2/10/2021, 2:53 pm
Questions on Rifkins in Saginaw.
1. How many years has the track been severed @ the two crossings (Genesee, Davenport). I'd guess about 3-5.
2. I thought Rifkins was one of LSRC's bigger customers. What happened? Couldn't meet on price.
3. That looks like quite a bit of road / curb work to not-be-permanent. Any chance that LSRC gets this business back in the future?
4. Was this Rifkins track the original GTW or Michigan Central line?
1. 3-5 years sounds about right
2. Don't know
3. Rifkin moved out to a location on M13 on LSRC's Bay City branch just beyond the Saginaw junction. It's my understanding a new spur was built into Rifkin's yard so it seems they'll be shipping by rail again.
4. As Chessie Dispatcher said the original Rifkin location was located at the end of Chessie's West Shore Branch. There was also a large bean plant there (now closed).
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...