Chessie/CSX international cabooses

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Chessie/CSX international cabooses

Unread post by KVERBERK »

Does anyone have a close up picture of the blue patch on C&O 904121 or any of the other C&O cabooses with this patch?

I have been learning about the C&O bay window cabooses lately. With Athearn's release of the B&O version of the C27 caboose I thought it would be fun to renumber a couple for the layout.

So in my research of these cabooses I learned that in the 80's 6 of these cabeese were assigned for use on the Canadian route from Detroit to Buffalo. I think until 1987 cabooses were still required on those trains. These particular ones had a special stencil applied. It was a rectangular blue patch on the bottom of the bay window with white lettering that stated:
"international assigned caboose must be returned to Detroit Michigan". Here is a photo of the patch:
note this is not my photo, I snapped a picture of it with my phone from a Dwight Jones book on C&O cabooses.

So in my research of these numbers I discovered a couple things. First, one of the road numbers to recieve this patch was 904121, a caboose that spent its last years working out of Plymouth.
Second, it seemed that they added to the patch in later years because in some picture I can make out an extra line in the stencil.
I was hoping someone had a close up of the stencil in later years? All the pictures I can find you cant see what it says.
Here is a picture showing the extra line but its to far away to read. Also not my photo, I just uploaded it to the site so I could share it in this post. Thanks
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan