Wigwags in Michigan

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: Wigwags in Michigan

Unread post by MQT1223 »

GP30M4216 wrote:The GTW did like wig wags, but the one in the park in Grand Haven is off the C&O/PM:
Grand Haven wig wag-1.jpg
Grand Haven wig wag-2A.jpg
Summary: Model 5 Autoflag Wig Wag Signal. This signal was installed at the Pennoyer Street crossing in Grand Haven in the 1920s by the Pere Marquette Railroad. It was replaced by more modern signals in 1978. The signal is now electronically activated and operates for one minute on the hour between 9am and 9pm, Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Has anyone ever seen this one-minute activation take place?
That sign is old and out of date. Apparently people got tired of listening to it ring day in and day out. The only time that signal operates is during an open house on every hour if I recall. The 1223 historical society got the thing working again about 2 or 3 years ago. I have footage of it in operation.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

From an old pic in Model Railroader, there used to be one in Pinconning, on the D&M.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Another Michigan example was found on the old LS&MS line south of Hillsdale, at the Long Lake Road crossing between Reading the Frog Eye. The southbound road comes over the crest of a hill and the angle of the track is such that a wig wag was placed at the crossing to catch the attention of a speeding southward motorist. It was replaced some time ago with the modern lights and crossbuck setup which exists today, but the wig wag was preserved and is located on the property of the Indiana Northeastern Railroad division office in Hillsdale. I've never been able to find a photo of this one in-situ at the Long Lake crossing, but I've heard from several people that this is where it came from. I'm not sure who the maker of this installation was.
IMG_4300.JPG
A friend sent me this photo of the Long Lake Road wig wag in action in its original location south of Reading on the old LS&MS/NYC. This is the one that's now installed beside the INER offices in Hillsdale. It clearly a different model and design than the other ones so far pictured in this thread, a US&S DW model. I don't know the photographer, but I'd be happy to update this post if someone can tell me who to give credit to!
IMG_1167.jpg
IMG_1169.jpg
Here are a couple shots I took just a few weeks ago of the WRRS Autoflag at the entrance to Greenfield Village. I believe the signalling equipment here all came off the GTW, so I would expect that might be the origin of this setup, but I don't know its exact history. The teardrop bell sets it off nicely and it's a great treat to see it swinging when you first arrive.
Thinking about other oddball crossing protection. Did Michigan ever have any of the Griswold flashers that had the rotating STOP sign in the middle?
A Griswold rotating signal was recently installed on the Greenfield Village loop, near the Firestone Farm/Cider Mill crossing. It's kind of an odd setup on a curve, but it's cool to see it in action. I don't know where this equipment originally came from, Griswold's were not common in Michigan.
Last edited by GP30M4216 on Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Here are some shots of the Griswold in the village. The angle is funky but it is a neat addition!
Attachments
746976EF-66BF-44EF-B3D8-0B1FA6111494.jpeg
E5B80BB7-5A66-4C3E-853A-C3B3F49324E9.jpeg
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

There was a wigwag on the AA in Azalia, still operating in 1980. Timestamp is 28:56.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI0xuVP ... rxw03c010c
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

I just became aware that the wig wag signal which was once at Sterling, Michigan on the former NYC has been restored, and is in operable condition behind the headquarters building for the Lake State Railway in Saginaw. The caption claims it was removed from Sterling in 2006 but that can't be right, maybe 1996?
https://www.railpictures.net/photo/658520/

Does anyone have a photo of it in the daytime? It's great to see this piece of history live on!

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

A shot I took while chasing the inaugural run of Amtrak's Pere Marquette in August, 1984- Amtrak business #10000 bringing up the rear past the wigwag signal at Baldwin Street in Jenison.

-Fritz Milhaupt

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

I also like the yellow "Michigan style" crossbucks with the glass reflectors and mounted on a hunk of rail with the railroad identification stenciled on it -- "PM" no less!

geeb557
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by geeb557 »

There was a wigwag on the C&O in Portland well into the 70's. It guarded the crossing of Divine Highway.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

geeb557 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:55 am
There was a wigwag on the C&O in Portland well into the 70's. It guarded the crossing of Divine Highway.
I can confirm this. I saw it operating at least once for a train. May have actually survived into the early 80's .
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

At a minimum, I tend to check out the Isbell Street wig wag every year in the fall, before the landscape gets totally barren but after the leaves fall off the tree which is slowly consuming it during the summer months. :lol: Here's this year's installment. The line was used recently to bring some heavy equipment out of Reid Machinery at the end of the track, but the last regular customer (QD bottling) has been closed for some time now; and this line recently had storage cars parked on it further north until earlier this year. Till the next train rolls by, the remaining bell waits in silence. The trash is pretty bad this year, too. :|
Lansing Isbell Street 11-04-2021 A.jpg
Lansing Isbell Street 11-04-2021 B.jpg

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

On October 3, I rode the Little River Railroad Hillsdale Flyer excursion, roundtrip between Coldwater and Hillsdale. It was neat to come into Hillsdale, all the way up to the old LS&MS depot and the Lansing Division office, today the headquarters for the Indiana Northeastern. In front of the office is the US&S Type DW wig wag that was once at Long Lake Road, between Reading and Frog Eye. The stopped train at the brick platform while 4-6-2 #110 ran around the train afforded a great opportunity to capture some photos of the wig wag. Stop when swinging!
Small Hillsdale Wigwag-1.jpg
Small Hillsdale Wigwag-2.jpg
Small Hillsdale Wigwag-3.jpg

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:37 pm
On October 3, I rode the Little River Railroad Hillsdale Flyer excursion, roundtrip between Coldwater and Hillsdale. It was neat to come into Hillsdale, all the way up to the old LS&MS depot and the Lansing Division office, today the headquarters for the Indiana Northeastern. In front of the office is the US&S Type DW wig wag that was once at Long Lake Road, between Reading and Frog Eye. The stopped train at the brick platform while 4-6-2 #110 ran around the train afforded a great opportunity to capture some photos of the wig wag. Stop when swinging!

Small Hillsdale Wigwag-1.jpg
Small Hillsdale Wigwag-2.jpg
Small Hillsdale Wigwag-3.jpg
I filmed the train approaching the platform with this wigwag definitely being a focus. I see the banner has been used for target practice at some point.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:38 pm
At a minimum, I tend to check out the Isbell Street wig wag every year in the fall, before the landscape gets totally barren but after the leaves fall off the tree which is slowly consuming it during the summer months. :lol: Here's this year's installment. The line was used recently to bring some heavy equipment out of Reid Machinery at the end of the track, but the last regular customer (QD bottling) has been closed for some time now; and this line recently had storage cars parked on it further north until earlier this year. Till the next train rolls by, the remaining bell waits in silence. The trash is pretty bad this year, too. :|

Lansing Isbell Street 11-04-2021 A.jpg
Lansing Isbell Street 11-04-2021 B.jpg
The bell still works? Kinda surprised that the signal hasn't been removed for the sake of maintaining the electrical here.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

MQT1223 wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:31 pm

The bell still works? Kinda surprised that the signal hasn't been removed for the sake of maintaining the electrical here.
I thought someone who had seen one of the JAIL moves to Reid Machinery down that branch had said they thought they bell had been ringing....weakly. Maybe I read that on facebook. Anyhow, this youtube video I just found suggests the bell at Isbell does not in fact work, and, as you suggest, the circuitry is out of service as this now passive crossing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9a2yQs5L3o

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:39 pm
MQT1223 wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:31 pm

I thought someone who had seen one of the JAIL moves to Reid Machinery down that branch had said they thought they bell had been ringing....weakly. Maybe I read that on facebook. Anyhow, this youtube video I just found suggests the bell at Isbell does not in fact work, and, as you suggest, the circuitry is out of service as this now passive crossing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9a2yQs5L3o
I thought that thing was gutted and the only thing remaining of it is the frame.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Sunny skies in Lansing today meant time for my annual check in at the Isbell Street crossing wig wag frame. I chose not to move the bag of leaves someone put out, it feels like part of the season!
A001D611-574A-41F8-BECE-55D90476283F.jpeg
A25C8BC3-9D5E-4DAB-9182-83D5EDC27077.jpeg
2E933D33-73FD-4EEE-8DE6-BE5E2664996D.jpeg

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

From the what it’s worth department I do believe the interurban railway GR H & C utilized wigwag signals in the city of Zeeland. I have a picture (dated 1918) which shows the signal.
Attachments
269B646F-F59D-4359-A742-2E2DB50D07C9.jpeg
D56E5514-6038-4E4B-9177-2726085A615E.jpeg

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

GR H & C wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:21 pm
From the what it’s worth department I do believe the interurban railway GR H & C utilized wigwag signals in the city of Zeeland. I have a picture (dated 1918) which shows the signal.
Wow. That's an early setup if that's the case. Can we ID the location?

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

MQT1223 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:13 pm
GR H & C wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:21 pm
Wow. That's an early setup if that's the case. Can we ID the location?
If I had to guess it would be taken at the grade crossing on N. Colonial St. looking north west.

Note: If you look closely at the picture right behind the interurban car there is a automobile waiting at the grade crossing.