KBE Connecting

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: KBE Connecting

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

The KB&E checked the minority owned company box.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

My Paper Railroad, Grand Rapids Southeastern (GRSE), is more interesting. :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

AARR wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:31 am
If your wife owns 51% of your RR, it can be a disadvantaged business enterprise :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=37802
Raildudes dad wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:51 pm
AARR wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:31 am
If your wife owns 51% of your RR, it can be a disadvantaged business enterprise :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

I just created a Railroadfan Wiki page for KBEC. Feel free to give it a look, I am more than happy to edit stuff!

I think I found all 11 customers KBE had, but I am not sure. I still have no idea where the Sand & Gravel Pit in Irving was...

https://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ng_Railway

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Well done NS3322!

I sometimes wonder if they meant the High Grade aggregate yard in Dutton rather than Irving
NS3322 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:51 pm
I think I found all 11 customers KBE had, but I am not sure. I still have no idea where the Sand & Gravel Pit in Irving was...

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

I could be incorrect, but I thought that Ron Crowd was the first minority owner of a railroad in the U.S., with the Battenkill RR, in Washington County, New York, in 1982.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The Kent-Barry-Eaton Connecting Railway was a short line created to operate the former Conrail owned Michigan Central Grand Rapids branch, from Grand Rapids to Vermontville on July 15, 1979.
joeyuboats wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:05 pm
I could be incorrect, but I thought that Ron Crowd was the first minority owner of a railroad in the U.S., with the Battenkill RR, in Washington County, New York, in 1982.

ConductorBigShoe
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConductorBigShoe »

Raildudes dad wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:18 am
The KB&E checked the minority owned company box.
Amazing what you can get away with, having that box checked.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

NS3322 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:51 pm
I just created a Railroadfan Wiki page for KBEC. Feel free to give it a look, I am more than happy to edit stuff!

https://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ng_Railway
I was unaware of the MIS Alco... what proof do you have on it? After the one Alco that was nicely painted and left to freeze I knew of the TSBY unit being used but nothing else following.

I still believe this railroad had it been managed right would've been profitable and would've remained today.

Did the elevator in Caledonia not ship by rail by this time? They were practically on top of the mainline.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

MQT1223 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:55 am
I was unaware of the MIS Alco... what proof do you have on it? After the one Alco that was nicely painted and left to freeze I knew of the TSBY unit being used but nothing else following.
What do you mean by proof? Click the links! It is all on the page...Ann Arbor 7 was ruined mechanically in about the same way as #6 (both were technically leased from the State/Michigan Interstate). They then leased the C&O NW2 and lastly the TSBY NW2. I also collected a lot of info from Facebook posts that I am unfortunately unable to directly reference. I really wish this railroad had been photographed and covered more but unfortunately we have to go by 40+ year old testimonies and stories with sources that differ.

Here is one of the only photos I could dig up with AA #7 in Dutton:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129767142@N06/17140655785
MQT1223 wrote:
Did the elevator in Caledonia not ship by rail by this time? They were practically on top of the mainline.
It's on the list.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

NS3322 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:43 pm
MQT1223 wrote:
What do you mean by proof? Click the links! It is all on the page...Ann Arbor 7 was ruined mechanically in about the same way as #6 (both were technically leased from the State/Michigan Interstate). They then leased the C&O NW2 and lastly the TSBY NW2. I also collected a lot of info from Facebook posts that I am unfortunately unable to directly reference. I really wish this railroad had been photographed and covered more but unfortunately we have to go by 40+ year old testimonies and stories with sources that differ.

Here is one of the only photos I could dig up with AA #7 in Dutton:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129767142@N06/17140655785
MQT1223 wrote:
It's on the list.
I looked at the page. I came back here after the fact. I must've overlooked the Caledonia customer, as I saw the ones in Dutton and Hastings.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)