Southern Locomotive's Noses

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
minernut333
Railroadfan...fan

Southern Locomotive's Noses

Unread post by minernut333 »

Looking on Railroad Picture Archives, I have noticed that southern had EMD's with a nose that goes on a GP 7 or 9. Why did Southern have this type of nose for most of it's EMD roster?
Minernut MRC333

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Southern Locomotive's Noses

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Southern ordered all of their locomotives with high short hoods, as did N&W for a time. Since Southern (and N&W) had all of their locomotives set up with the long hood end as the front, there was little reason to have the by then standard low short hood since that was technically the "rear" of the engine. There is great debate as to why the Southern ordered their engines with high short hoods for as long as they did, but the best answer I've heard is basically "that's how they always did it".
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

N&W stopped after the mid 70s, southern was that way until the NS merger; they had high hood GP50s and B30-7s. But both railroads and NS into the 90s continued to designate the long hood as the "front" of the locomotive

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

Southern SD35s were SHF. IIRC the SD24s were too.
Not that obvious

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I believe Southern ran their geeps long hood forward for crew safety, in the event of a crash.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

hoborich wrote:I believe Southern ran their geeps long hood forward for crew safety, in the event of a crash.
I have heard of that, also I heard it kept the cab cooler as it was hot down south, and also, the old steam heads on the Southern liked it that way, and there was some discussion when the SOU placed their original orders.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Kept the cab cool? I do not see how direction of the locomotive would make a major difference in cab temperature
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There was an article in Trains Magazine why they ordered engines with long hood forward operation.

Due to the coal field activities they operated trains backwards as often as they did forward. The company decided it was easier to operate the short hood when going backward do to the angle the engineer would have to turn to see. When going forward it was simple enough for the engineer to face their normal direction.

Several engineers have confirmed this is why they committed to the practice for so many years.

And that my friends is the rest of the story :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

Unread post by legostudios34 »

The Southern locomotives had dual control stands. So although the long end was designated as the front, they could easily run both directions. I've heard (unconfirmed) this was to save money on putting wyes or turntables at terminals.
Baxter Barnes. 21. Alabama.
Meow. Now you know how to speak cat. -Flickr

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

Not all of them had dual control stands...
Not that obvious

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

legostudios34 wrote:The Southern locomotives had dual control stands.
I have read that no Southern units ever had dual control stands. Southern units that were designated LHF had the stand parallel to the cab sides. FWIW, Norfolk & Western did had dual control stands.

This vid shows the stand parallel to the cab sides.

http://youtu.be/9IABM8UPplY
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

cr6903
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cr6903 »

I haven't been in a lot of cabs, but the two Southern (ordered by Southern, NS by this time) units I have been in both had dual control stands in them, and both were designated Long Hood Forward.