What is this Business? Ann Arbor Railroad in AA

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
59caddy
bag of holding

Re: What is this Business? Ann Arbor Railroad in AA

Unread post by 59caddy »

Okay, here's the story about 721 N. Main Street, all the information you need is in the introduction:

http://www.a2gov.org/government/communi ... 201-44.pdf

To make the long story short:
+ This complex has been owned and used by the City of Ann Arbor Fleet Services since it was built in the 1920's.
+ The wooden building on the southwest end of the property was historically used to store salt. (The building is now vacant)
+ Although the document never directly says this, the spur obviously would have been used to deliver salt, as the other buildings contained nothing that would ever practically involve the use of trains for transportation.

Hope this helps, Ypsi :) .

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

The report specifically says the siding was built to deliver coal for the boiler. Heavy salt usage for road deicing is a relatively new development (late 50''s early 60's)and was almost exclusively delivered by truck.

59caddy
bag of holding

Unread post by 59caddy »

Raildudes dad wrote:The report specifically says the siding was built to deliver coal for the boiler. Heavy salt usage for road deicing is a relatively new development (late 50''s early 60's)and was almost exclusively delivered by truck.
Wow, big foolish blunder on my part :oops: :oops: You're right.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Man that sounds interesting! I can see a gp35 pulling down te switchback then back up to the spur already 8)

Too bad it probably won't fit on my layout :(
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

A long time ago, Model Railroader magazine had an article called Cornwall Coalyard, which was just south of this location, located on Miller Ave. Last time I was there, the main building was still standing, right next to the embankment for AARR.That was probably 10-15 years back. This business might exist today in another location as Cornwell Pool And Patio.