Train stations in Bloomfield Hills, Mi

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Train stations in Bloomfield Hills, Mi

Unread post by David Collins »

My friends who are NOT railfans decided to do some urban exploration and came across some platforms near Long Lake Road, Charing cross (where Trowbridge used to be in Bloomfield Hills) and some other places too… was this GTW, SEMTA or someone else?

The places I’m referring to are between MP17.8 and MP22 on the CN Holly Subdivision
Last edited by David Collins on Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Re: Train stations in Bloomfield Hills, Mi

Unread post by DaveO »

Pontiac
Bloomfield Hills(Long Lake)
Charing Cross
12 Mile
Royal Oak(11 Mile)
Ferndale
Chrysler HQ
Milwaukee Junction
Brush Street(replaced due to Ren Cen)

Listed above were the commuter stations served by GTW and later SEMTA.
I didn't think any of the platforms are left intact other than maybe the part of the current platform at Royal Oak.
The station was at Charing Cross, Trowbridge Road was high above the tracks.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

They must have intended to have a station at 14 Mile.
On the south side of 14 Mile on the westside of the tracks you can still see the entrance to a never used tunnel under the tracks.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

DaveO wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:30 am
Pontiac
Bloomfield Hills(Long Lake)
Charing Cross
12 Mile
Royal Oak(11 Mile)
Ferndale
Chrysler HQ
Milwaukee Junction
Brush Street(replaced due to Ren Cen)

Listed above were the commuter stations served by GTW and later SEMTA.
I didn't think any of the platforms are left intact other than maybe the part of the current platform at Royal Oak.
The station was at Charing Cross, Trowbridge Road was high above the tracks.
The one at Charing Cross and Long Lake are still there unbelievably, my friends have been there and it’s very photogenic but I don’t know if it’s trespassing or not…

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

3808049427_6481748d3c_o.jpg
Rode Pontiac to Detroit and back numerous times in the 60's -- some in coach and a couple times in engine. (You could sign release forms to do such things on GTW back then). Great memories, to be sure. I was going to post the employee timetable pages, but my scanner is not cooperating.

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

13876570_1035700073151642_1227595372905306095_n.jpg
This is one of the stops -- not sure which one. Photo credit to Mark Hinsdale.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

C&O Dispatcher wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:31 am

Maybe Birmingham?

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

C&O Dispatcher wrote:

Charing Cross, the parking lot was on the westside.
Google aerial shows the stairs and ramp still exist.
Last edited by DaveO on Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Birmingham had a full tudor-style depot with the main station on the west side and a full raised platform on the east side. There was a tunnel from the depot over to the east side. The photo above is either Bloomfield Hills or Charing Cross, I believe.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

David Collins wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:59 am

The one at Charing Cross and Long Lake are still there unbelievably, my friends have been there and it’s very photogenic but I don’t know if it’s trespassing or not…
Yes, it's trespassing.
I'm wondering if the hard surfacing is still there? That's because those platforms interfere with being able to use machines to remove and insert ties.
They can do it on the other side of a platform but then they have to shut down the other track to safely do so.
The area there is relatively flat for sure because when the realignment occurred, the section from 11 Mile to Long Lake was built for 4 tracks.
Only 2 tracks were put in place except at Birmingham.
A third track was in place at Birmingham so that wide loads could clear the high level platforms.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

I forgot Pleasant Ridge. Guess the freeway obliterated my memory :)

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Man o' War »

Charing Cross was a very popular railfan location in the 70's and 80's - quiet and away from the crowds. All changed in the 90's when CN police started making frequent visits to the area and made no bones about the fact that you were trespassing. I wouldn't even risk a visit there today. I would guess that the hard surface platforms may have been removed close to the tracks for the reason that DaveO stated above. The Mount Clemens depot lost its 1918 brick platform for that same reason - interfered with the tie replacement machines.

Man o' War

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Manistique »

I spent a lot of time photographing the SEMTA commuter trains on this line. And I rode them downtown for three years. I put together a book on SEMTA's trains, Chronicles of a Detroit Railfan, Vol 8, SEMTA Commuter Trains, if you are interested. It is available on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Detro ... 75&sr=1-51) and on my website (though the payment function on it is not working right now).

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

While I was at my friends house (that’s right next to Charing Cross) yesterday, I decided to get the drone out and fly over what’s left of the CC station (or platform or sem-shed or whatever), I didn’t get any photos or anything but it looks really interesting how they had the station setup since it was built on a hill.

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW Dude »

I have more photos of whats left including the stairs off to the left of the ramp, I'll have to dig them up because i took a ton but my computer ran out of space.
Attachments
CC2.JPG
CC 1.JPG
Last edited by GTW Dude on Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW Dude »

Manistique wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:43 pm
I spent a lot of time photographing the SEMTA commuter trains on this line. And I rode them downtown for three years. I put together a book on SEMTA's trains, Chronicles of a Detroit Railfan, Vol 8, SEMTA Commuter Trains, if you are interested. It is available on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Detro ... 75&sr=1-51) and on my website (though the payment function on it is not working right now).
Ah so you must be Byron Babbish, let me just say that I absolutely love the archive of info and photos you have in fact I happened to see your books at P&D Hobby shop in Fraser both my grandfather and I ended up with our eyes glued to all of the info and photos (he was a former longtime Bluewater NRHS member, so we also tried looking for photos of him) your SEMTA book actually taught me about the existence of Charring Cross and when I got a text from a friend that they happened to wander into the location of it i nearly jumped out of my seat because i wasn't even sure the station had any remnants left today. I also loved your Pontiac operations book showcasing what was left of the Romeo and Cass City subdivision operations and excursions book with N&W 611 on NS and Reading 2101 when she ran the American freedom train down the Holly Subdivision. Safe to say i never mind purchasing a book of the Chronicles of a Detroit Railfan anytime i venture into a hobby shop.

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Manistique »

GTW Dude wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:49 pm
Manistique wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:43 pm
Ah so you must be Byron Babbish, let me just say that I absolutely love the archive of info and photos you have in fact I happened to see your books at P&D Hobby shop in Fraser both my grandfather and I ended up with our eyes glued to all of the info and photos (he was a former longtime Bluewater NRHS member, so we also tried looking for photos of him) your SEMTA book actually taught me about the existence of Charring Cross and when I got a text from a friend that they happened to wander into the location of it i nearly jumped out of my seat because i wasn't even sure the station had any remnants left today. I also loved your Pontiac operations book showcasing what was left of the Romeo and Cass City subdivision operations and excursions book with N&W 611 on NS and Reading 2101 when she ran the American freedom train down the Holly Subdivision. Safe to say i never mind purchasing a book of the Chronicles of a Detroit Railfan anytime i venture into a hobby shop.
Thank you very much for the kind words. Since Pat died, the owner of P&D Hobby, I have been trying to get his son to stock up on my books but to no avail. He says he wants to but doesn't actually do it. Maybe you can give him a push!

trainerd
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainerd »

C&O Dispatcher wrote:

pretty sure that is the one at 13 mile rd, i used to live down the street,

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

As I mentioned above, Charing Cross.
There was no station/stop at 13 Mile.