Trivia

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Trivia

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Trivia for you all - can you name one spot in the lower peninsula of Michigan that the local watershed drains to some destination that's not part of the Great Lakes system? In other words, pour some water on the ground, and this water should eventually flow out to somewhere other than the Atlantic via Lake Ontario.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Trivia

Unread post by Man o' War »

I can only think of the southwestern part of the state - St. Joseph River and south - that would drain into Lake Michigan and get sucked into the backward flowing Chicago River and head southwest via the Illinois River eventually toward the Mississippi and the Gulf. Just guessing...

Man o' War

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

You are pretty close with that guess Man o' War. Not the part about the backward flowing Chicago River, but in the right general area of SW MI.
Webmaster

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

Geyer Ditch, southeast of Galien? Ends up in the Kankakee River then westward.
RR Pass Collector

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

MP73point4 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:51 am
Geyer Ditch, southeast of Galien? Ends up in the Kankakee River then westward.
Agreed. Saw Critzer Farms at https://goo.gl/maps/kMViKwcgmfkWKG7M7 that shows a ditch just north of it that flows down towards South Bend, onto the Kankakee River and out west. Was browsing the Illinois River, thought it was odd it starts at the confluence of two other river names instead of having a traditional start as a tiny stream/lake. Looked up the Kankakee River as it's one of the two forms of the Illinois River, and it said it had 7 square miles of watershed in Michigan.
Webmaster

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Agree as well. Little know fact that has been floating in my head for years.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Another interesting fact. There are places in that area where you cannot reach a water source by simply drilling a well. One of my friends who is in the well drilling business said that. Often where two watershed have a divide occasionally that will occur. That's an area know to be problematic for residential wells by those in the well drilling business.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

A similar circumstance exists in the Upper Peninsula. The Wisconsin River originates at Lac Vieux Desert which lies partially in Michigan.

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/Waters ... sins/upwis

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

~Z~ wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:51 pm
Trivia for you all - can you name one spot in the lower peninsula of Michigan that the local watershed drains to some destination that's not part of the Great Lakes system? In other words, pour some water on the ground, and this water should eventually flow out to somewhere other than the Atlantic via Lake Ontario.
How much water are we talking? If it's just a small glass, most of it would likely dry up with evaporation.

:D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.