Buffalo Bills player Damar Hamlin collapses on field

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Buffalo Bills player Damar Hamlin collapses on field

Unread post by David Collins »

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/damar- ... index.html

Prayers for the dude, some scary stuff. I wonder how everyone in the higher ups in the league is thinking about this, given how they've been under such heavy scrutiny for player safety as of late.

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Buffalo Bills player Damar Hamlin collapses on field

Unread post by J T »

What's to think about for the higher ups? It was a freak accident that could happen to anyone in sports, anywhere, anytime.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

J T wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:43 pm
What's to think about for the higher ups? It was a freak accident that could happen to anyone in sports, anywhere, anytime.

I originally read the story from a now unreliable source saying that it was a blatant targeting call that the refs didn't pick up upon, now that I've watched the play several times, there was no targeting. I count the officiating guys in New York as higher-ups to be honest.

On a side note: apparently, Hamlin's $2,500 go-fund-me goal for less fortunate kids has surpassed $3,500,000.

Roger Goodell has also stated in a memo that the Bengals-Bills game will not be resumed/replayed for at least a week. Quite frankly, I doubt that they'll replay this game, as to how they determine who would've won it, and counting that for the playoffs (since the bengals and bills are in playoff contention) is anyone's guess.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

David Collins wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:13 pm

I originally read the story from a now unreliable source saying that it was a blatant targeting call that the refs didn't pick up upon, now that I've watched the play several times, there was no targeting. I count the officiating guys in New York as higher-ups to be honest.
Well, seeing as Hamlin was the one making the tackle on the offensive player, there is no way it could possibly be targeting. And the term "targeting" was NEVER used anywhere with any broadcasts, whether that be the TV announcers or those on radio shows. Not sure why you would even mention that.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

As I recall, when Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lions collapsed on the field back in 1971, the two teams finished playing the game after Hughes was taken off the field. And it seems weird that players get upset when a player gets injured or has a medical condition when playing football, especially because the players are trying to knock each other down with as much violence as they can use within the rules.

Also, when a driver would be killed at an auto race, they continue the race after any fatal accident. But then again, folks are probably more used to deadly crashes while auto racing than while playing football.

While I applaud the prompt medical treatment rendered to Hamlin, I really believe they should have continued the game. I also played a lot of sports when I was younger. I would see other players get injured with such as broken legs or ribs, or teeth knocked out, in games I was playing in, but the games would always continue.

Garry K

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Garry K wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:28 pm
Also, when a driver would be killed at an auto race, they continue the race after any fatal accident. But then again, folks are probably more used to deadly crashes while auto racing than while playing football.
On the contrary, most auto races involving a critical injury or fatality are then terminated.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

Saturnalia wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:44 pm
Garry K wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:28 pm
On the contrary, most auto races involving a critical injury or fatality are then terminated.
I have watched auto racing since 1964, and I can not recall a single race that was ended early because of death or serious injury. Instead, the races might be red-flagged (stopped) to deal with the crash, then the race will resume. Some examples:

• In 1964, a fiery crash on the 2nd lap of the Indy 500 killed 2 drivers (Dave MacDonald and Eddie Sachs), but after a delay of less than 2 hours, the race was resumed. (https://www.indystar.com/story/life/201 ... t/2318520/)

• The 1973 Indy 500 saw 2 drivers and a team mechanic killed, and while it took 3 days to complete the race, the delays were mostly caused by rain. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_Indianapolis_500)

• Bobby Allison was seriously injured at NASCAR's Winston 500 at Talladega in 1987. His car wiped out a long stretch of catch-fencing and injured several spectators. But after a 2.5 hour delay to repair the catch-fencing, racing resumed. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_Winston_500).

There are many more examples of races continuing after fatalities or bad crashes (Jim Clark, Niki Lauda, Glenn "Fireball" Roberts, et al).

I don't want to sound insensitive or callous towards football players, drivers, boxers, etc, getting killed or seriously injured, but they are totally aware of the risks, and they willingly accept the risks in order to win fame and money. I was actually turned off of motor racing for a couple of years in the mid-1970s, especially after the "spectacle" at the 1973 Indy 500. But then I realized that if the drivers die in a crash, they are doing what they are wanting to do, so who am I to second-guess or mourn them? I also remember watching AJ Foyt (MIS) and Danny Ongais (Indy 500) crash in 1981, where they were partially out of their wrecked cars, thinking I was looking at dead men, although they both survived. But I rationalized, they knew what they were up against, so I did not grieve for them.

And then again, people have sympathy for an injured athlete, where they don't show the same sympathy for police officers, firefighters, iron workers, etc who are killed or injured in the line of duty.

Garry K

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

If you’re not squeamish look up Russell Phillips. If they finished the race after THAT happened then it’s unlikely they’ll ever stop for anyone.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Garry K wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:28 pm

I have watched auto racing since 1964, and I can not recall a single race that was ended early because of death or serious injury. Instead, the races might be red-flagged (stopped) to deal with the crash, then the race will resume. Some examples:
Dan Wheldon's crash in 2011 at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway comes to mind.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

PatAzo wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:35 pm
Garry K wrote:

ooh good one, I forgot they never restarted that race.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Chip wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:45 pm
PatAzo wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:35 pm
Garry K wrote:

ooh good one, I forgot they never restarted that race.
This is also the big one I had in mind. Over time, racing has become much safer so major incidents are much more rare, and thus the need to contemplate stopping a race is much less frequent than in years past. I do believe that NASCAR would have stopped for Dale Earnhardt's crash, or more recently Ryan Newman's wreck, if they weren't already on the final lap as in those cases.

Surely, it was way different back in the day. But I doubt they'd let it happen today.

When they started warming the Bills and Bengals back up briefly, the internet and fans erupted, and that nuked it real quick.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow