What is everyone's dream car?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

What is everyone's dream car?

Unread post by David Collins »

Thought this would be a fun thread together because the woodward dream cruise is coming up.

List what car it is, a picture of the car, and how much horsepower it has.

I'll go first:

2019 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye

As dodge says in their commercials for the Hellcat, Hellcat redeye, and the demon (even though they stopped making the demon), domestic, not domesticated. I think that's the best phrase a line of muscle/sports cars has ever had.

The Hellcat redeye has a 6.2L Supercharged V8 producing 797 horsepower. 0-60 time is 2.9 seconds.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: What is everyone's dream car?

Unread post by AARR »

Because I am old and can spoil myself, I own my dream car...a 2016 Honda Fit. Depending on the sun angle it is either burgundy or purplish. I have to pinch myself to make sure owning this gem is not a dream.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

1969 or 70 Mustang Mach 1

I've had my eyes on a 1948 Packard Super 8 I would love to buy if I had the money.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

David Collins wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:58 am

As dodge says in their commercials for the Hellcat, Hellcat redeye, and the demon (even though they stopped making the demon), domestic, not domesticated. I think that's the best phrase a line of muscle/sports cars has ever had.

It's also inaccurate. It's built in Canada.

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

1973 MGB with 92 hp. Imagine chasing trains with the top down.
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

redcrumbox wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:21 pm
1973 MGB with 92 hp. Imagine chasing trains with the top down.
Gotta have a back seat for the cameras and tripods. 😂
1965 Chrysler & JAIL locos Mason 07 19 2020.jpg
I don't remember how many horsepower it's supposed to have, but I find it sufficient.

Chip, I like your Packard idea 👍

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Dan Cluley wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:23 pm
Chip, I like your Packard idea 👍
The one I found is in pretty good shape. Solid body, some weathering of the paint but no rust and no missing/damaged chrome which is critical because its super expensive to repair/replace these days. The headliner has some moth damage that would need to be addressed but otherwise the interior is GORGEOUS. 356 Straight 8 engine with 74k miles so it's about due for a refresh (I'm up for a challenge) with a 3-on-the-tree which would be a new experience for me, all for under 10k. Problem is I don't have the means right now which is a darn shame.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

I have multiple dream cars for multiple purposes.
1968 Cadillac Sedan Deville, 4dr hardtop
1976 k20 suburban
1975 GMC Jimmy

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

This...

Or this...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Lexus LFA

1978 Cadillac Eldorado
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

A boating safety course with the local USCG is required for that Caddy.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

SD80MAC wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:25 pm
Lexus LFA

1978 Cadillac Eldorado
Uncle Ron had a 78 Eldorado Biarritz that was a pale yellow, with cloud like, super soft leather interior, all original with less than 8k original miles. He found it in a barn, up on blocks, with multiple covers on it. The car was absolutely mint. I will have to ask what happened to that car, and the concept car.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

12Bridge wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:49 pm
If a boating course is required for the '78, then a captains license is required for my '68, and an engineers license with unlimited HP rating.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

12Bridge wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:49 pm
8) Thankfully I have driven many Caddy’s bigger than that!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

An Amtrak-Certified Pullman.

mach69
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mach69 »

If money was no object: Street legal Batmobile with a twin-turbo W16.

Realistically: 7.3 Godzilla F350, single turbo.

And even at that, I'm still a big advocate for better public transport.

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

My "dream" vehicle would be a minivan body that would allow me to load a 4x8 sheet of plywood inside and be able to close the rear lift-gate. It would also have a 7-passenger capacity for when I wasn't hauling wood products or other cargo. The engine would have 1970s engine technology, i.e., NO engine computer or other expensive sensors! It would allow me to be able to service the engine and other components with a minimum of difficulty. It would have seat (and shoulder) belts, but it would NOT have any air-bags. It would also not have any other expensive electronics, because those doo-hickeys don't actually contribute to your ability to drive the car, but they are hideously expensive to replace. It would have air-conditioning, and would have an AM-FM radio that could also play cassettes, CDs, and music from USB sticks. The driver and passenger door windows would be manually cranked up and down; there would NOT be any electric motors that would fail and would be expensive to replace.

People keep telling me about how "modern" cars get "so much better" gas mileage than did 1970s cars, but that is not true. While today's cars get a bit better gas mileage, any savings on gasoline are wiped out when you have to replace a $400 sensor! (And if you don't replace that sensor, your car won't run at all.) And, needless to say, with 1970s cars, you could actually work on them yourself.

I also don't need GPS, as I can use maps just fine. I would prefer to listen to music while driving, and not have to listen to some GPS voice. Not to mention, GPS is frequently wrong. I also don't like the overly-bright built-in GPS displays (like on many new cars) that are horribly distracting at night. Dang, I would have to tape some cloth over those things while driving at night.

And speaking of the radio, I want a radio that has old fashioned push buttons and knobs, so I can change stations, adjust the volume, etc, without having to take my eyes off the road. Too many of the new "radios" have touch-screens that require the driver to have to take their eyes off the road in order to adjust things. (Who designs such idiotic devices as touch-screens in a car? It has to be designed by morons who don't drive on public roads!)

OK, that's my rant about my ideal "dream" vehicle.

Garry K

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

An old friend of mine traded his Toyota for a 1947 International KB5 that looked about like this one.

http://smclassiccars.com/international- ... truck.html

The simplicity was interesting. Flat head straight six with an up draft carburetor. Parking brake was a leather lined steel strap around a drum on the drive shift. Heat control was opening or closing the door in front of the heater core. The transmission lacked syncro's and had to be double clutched to shift.

My first car was a 78 Honda Civic with a manual choke. I had to carry a quarter and a nickel on the dash. The quarter went behind the choke knob when it first started. A minute later you had to swap the quarter for the nickel while it finished warming up. With as temperamental as carburetors with automatic chokes could be a manual choke was better.

As much fun as I had with the Civic I would not trade the reliability of fuel injection and electronic ignition for 70's technology. My 08 Civic hit 250,000 miles with one spark plug change and a new starter.

As for my dream car I've owned four of them. The cheapest full size truck I could find with air conditioning. Current is a 2018 Silverado with 5.3L. 355HP at 5,600RPM though I don't who would wind it up that high.