Keys to chasing trains

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Keys to chasing trains

Unread post by David Collins »

I’m going to be getting my drivers license in mid-April, and then I’m going to start chasing trains since I won’t be taking up any of my parents time having them drive me. So what are the keys to train chasing? The only chases I’ve ever done was 1225 and the IC heritage unit, Obviously I know patience is one of them but can anyone point anything else out that is important? Thanks!
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Keys to chasing trains

Unread post by Michael »

The only limited experience I would share would be to bring a friend to be your co-pilot, navigator, photographer, and or driver.
It just increases your odds of success and would likely be more fun.

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Road laws don't exist when you're chasing BONGAS!

Talk
Keeps Talking

Unread post by Talk »

Know your territory and plan out spots and 1/2 your expectations

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

This is a very good suggestion. And Michael doesn't even have time to chase trains :lol: .
Michael wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:49 am
The only limited experience I would share would be to bring a friend to be your co-pilot, navigator, photographer, and or driver.
It just increases your odds of success and would likely be more fun.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

kd_1014 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:01 am
Especially not out in the country. Stop signs? Pfft. Merely a suggestion. :twisted:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Learn the territory, both the railroad and the road network. Don't take too many chances on the road, or you'll rack up unnecessary tickets. If you know what you're doing you can usually do just fine by driving with a purpose but not like a speed demon and menace to traffic safety.

And typically, don't plan to chase in urban areas.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW Dude »

kd_1014 wrote:
Attachments
DE2F144E-9F6A-4B97-AA33-66AFC92932F7.jpeg

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

GTW Dude wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:29 pm
kd_1014 wrote:
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen that meme
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Don't loose your mind when you see steam, especially if you're behind the wheel. I know a guy...who chased 765 from Durand to Owosso (a few years ago) and passed on the outside of a curve (and some other really dangerous things) because he was way more focused on the steam engine than anything else. (I wasn't there to see it, someone else in the car told me about it later.)

I'll second the suggestion to bring a friend. Maybe even a couple of friends. It's usually more fun with 2 or 3 people, plus they may know territory you don't or may have better ideas about where to set up a shot than you. It helps if you communicate about what you're planning to do in advance too. I made the mistake of chasing a piece of rolling stock across the state once, with a navigator who hadn't navigated with me before. We blew a couple photo locations that he wanted because we weren't on the same page (both on the map and on what our priorities were for the trip). Coincidentally, this new navigator was also the guy who lost his mind chasing 765 up to Owosso (first suggestion) a few years prior.

Friends are really what make this hobby worth it. Not just for the things you see right now, but for the stories and memories of your trips in the future.
~ Charles W.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Know where you are chasing it to. To just leap frog crossing to crossing in my opinion is boring. I prefer to have a few good spots picked to chase them to. Maybe a good photo location, a sweeping curve, a location where you know they will throttle up etc. Time and fuel burn are considerations in this.

Know the probability of success getting to the next spot. If you have to fly like the wind you're asking for a ticket or a crash and getting there in the nick of time isn't much fun.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Don't just randomly chase things. Chasing a class 1 is generally harder. Don't just drive hundreds of miles for 2 shots. Gas is expensive and it will get old for your parents or yourself when you need to fill up the car 4 times a week. Your photo often isn't worth the ticket or cost of the round trip. Pick a spot you really like, and if you get a train more than once thats a bonus.

The best way to chase IMO is to chase a train on your way home. An example of that for me is chasing the GLC south from Durand heading back towards Ann Arbor. GLC runs slow enough for a decent chase with parallel roads, and I am heading in the correct direction to go home when I am finished with the case (rather than being farther away from home).
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Ypsi wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:18 am
Don't just randomly chase things. Chasing a class 1 is generally harder. Don't just drive hundreds of miles for 2 shots. Gas is expensive and it will get old for your parents or yourself when you need to fill up the car 4 times a week. Your photo often isn't worth the ticket or cost of the round trip.
When gas was cheap, I wouldn't think twice about driving hundreds of miles for a shot or two. :lol: And what the photos are "worth" depends on a lot of factors.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

I'd better keep you away from my mustang then... :D :D Anyway all jokes aside, Okay I have been chasing trains ever since I got my license back in 2018. Usually what works for me are the following

1. ATCS Monitor and Chrome Remote Desktop. This is a very handy weapon use to chasing trains. This is arguably why I am more successful with the CN Flint Sub compared to most people. Just using this I end up with days where I see more than 7 CN trains in places like Durand, Lansing and Port Huron. It really helps you. I am being dead serious. Like when its dead all night its gonna be busy all day. When its busy at night you are in for a slow day

2. Dont be an IDOIT please. Here in Plymouth/Livonia, we have so many people around here who dont know how to drive or act like they shouldn't have a license or they drive beat up cars that got smashed in. Traffic is already bad enough due to construction on I 275 and I 96 and everyone being rerouted to the urban roads. DONT chase in urban areas please. Its unsafe and not smart at all. You will get screwed at every traffic light imaginable. Keep it out in the sticks thats when its more fun anyway. Just obey the speed limits in the cities. You can get away with it a little in the country. Like when the limit is 55 sometimes I punch it to 65 to 70 mph. I am being dead serious. I would not also recommend bowing stop signs. It's too much of a risk with the fines

3. Have timetables and a scanner with you. Not all lines are supplied with ATCS as you should know. Having a scanner helps tremendously I do too have to get a scanner working. Timetables help you because they show what mileposts, control points and Hotbox detectors on each line. There are several online around here you can print out from each line

Anyway, get the car gassed up, dont be a dumb person and have fun out there! Wish you the best of luck chasing trains! Side note, everyone is entiled to a crap day trackside it happened to me several times but ever since I got my license it has become more fun. Occasionally I have buddies that join me that make it more fun or hell I go myself to escape the madness around here as I hate the suburbs

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

DONT chase in urban areas please. Its unsafe and not smart at all. You will get screwed at every traffic light imaginable. Keep it out in the sticks thats when its more fun anyway. Just obey the speed limits in the cities. You can get away with it a little in the country. Like when the limit is 55 sometimes I punch it to 65 to 70 mph. I am being dead serious
Does not really apply in Detroit anymore. Many traffic lights have been replaced with stop signs. Streets of abandoned houses are now torn down resulting in urban prairies. When the speed limit is 25, can punch it to 40. Many of the activities you can get away with a little in the country; can now get away with in a city like Detroit; not limited to being foamer related.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

I wonder when was the last time you actually drove in the D?

The rest of the message deleted because it was probably the correct thing to do.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

DaveO wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:08 am
Friday, April 1st, 2022

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:21 pm
DaveO wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:08 am
Friday, April 1st, 2022
I should have made it more clear. I know you have driven there.
I have doubts the other poster has driven there.
My driving experiences over the years throughout Metro Detroit seem to be much different than his.

I was there yesterday also.
What I deleted was a story of excellent illegal driving moves(plural) I witnessed.
The kind that could have caused an innocent person to have been hurt.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

CSXBOY wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:40 am
DONT chase in urban areas please. Its unsafe and not smart at all.
Why is it unsafe? Traffic will limit the opportunities but if you know the area there are possibilities. I was in Chicago this afternoon and saw a train along 16th St that would turn south and cross the South Branch of the Chicago River. Easily beat them to the lift bridge at S. Lumber St.

I used to watch the CN at Trowbridge in East Lansing and could judge if it was going to be possible to jump on 496 and beat them to the west side of Lansing.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Again I 496 is a highway. I should have said city roads. I have actually chased CN trains from Lansing to Charlotte that has worked out well. That was my mistake. Honestly if the train is going slow enough you can chase it. Like the CSX traffic in Plymouth you can chase to three different crossings because they go slow on the wyes. Just dont speed when chasing in urban areas or else like someone else said you will end up with massive tickets. Just honestly be smart when chasing. Dont be stupid. It is wise to think about the situation before you chase. Just a tip, dont even think about speeding in Ohio with a Michigan Plate. They are known hide to in cornfields and will pull any Michigander over :P

Honestly with Detroit it is almost like a nuclear war zone with amount of despair there is. It is quite sad.