Big Rock Chophouse (former GTW Birmingham, Mich depot) to close in December

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Big Rock Chophouse (former GTW Birmingham, Mich depot) to close in December

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

According to an article in the Detroit Free Press yesterday afternoon, owners Norm and Bonnie LePage have decided to close Big Rock Chophouse in December. The restaurant is located in the old GTW Birmingham depot. The LePages established the restaurant as Norm's Eton Street Station in 1984, then converted it into Big Rock Chophouse in 1997.

According to the article, the LePages have had several offers to buy pieces of the property over the past several years, but decided to accept an offer from the developer who built the brewery on the property, as he plans to keep the property intact.

38 years is a mighty good run for a restaurant, but as they said, "At our age, we will do something in the future but on a smaller scale and something we will also take great pleasure in."

The article: https://www.freep.com/story/entertainme ... 775496001/ (Might be paywalled).
-Fritz Milhaupt

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Big Rock Chophouse (former GTW Birmingham, Mich depot) to close in December

Unread post by GTW Dude »

The owners have decided to close up shop on the 18th in order to let employees spend time with their familys for the holidays. I wonder what will happen to the station.

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Big Rock Chophouse (former GTW Birmingham, Mich depot) to close in December

Unread post by dmitzel »

Hopefully the developer will reopen with just a name change. I liked going there for a couple beers and maybe a meal while railfanning in the area.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.