Where do you work and what do you do?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Where do you work and what do you do?

Unread post by AARR »

I am an unheralded super hero. Along with my trusty sidekick, Spot, we protect citizens from the evil forces around the world.

To disguise my true identity I masquerade as a janitor.

Or maybe it's the other way around. I misremember things as I get older :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Tom49801
Bangor Webcam Master

Unread post by Tom49801 »

I had retired from Amtrak's Northeast Corridor Signals Dept / Electronic Technician on Dec 1st, 2018. Our duties were to maintain, trouble-shoot & repair all electronic systems/equipment used in the signal system (HBD's, AFO's, FSO's, Phase Selective Units used in their AC based signal system & the Remote Terminal Units that operate the Interlockings by remote control from the command center).
Spent a few months with the Canadian National in Wisconsin & decided that wasn't for me.
6 years with Phase2 Concepts as VP designing & manufacturing & patent writing for electronic relays for cab code signal systems, inventor & co-inventor for 3 U.S. Patents.
Spent 2 1/2 years with Xorail (zoh rail) in Jacksonville, Fl (now owned by Wabtec) as a Signal System design engineer assigned to their Norfolk Southern account for PTC upgrades. Returned to Amtrak in Maryland to finish out my career.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

I work for GM on the assembly line at Flint Truck Assembly, on day shift, been with GM for 21 years now, and 9 more to go. Before that, I worked residential construction and commercial construction.
Last edited by conrailmike on Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

I've worked for Ford for 8 years, 7 of which at the Michigan Assembly Plant (Wayne). 4 of those in final assembly and the last 3 in body shop. When 3rd shift got canned in June 2015 I was sent to Flat Rock and spent a year in final assembly there.

Before that I worked for a Budweiser distributor in Detroit for a few years, first as a merchandiser then the last 2ish years in sales. The job itself was good but the company I worked for was awful and I did not mesh well with my supervisor. He was an a-hole and if you weren't his golden child on the southwest Detroit route he didn't give 2 f***s about you and wouldn't ever help if you needed it. I knew it was time to leave when they wouldn't allow me to take a day off to be with my girlfriend (now wife) when she was in the hospital getting a blood transfusion. I was willing to take a pay cut to work in the warehouse on night shift so I could start a work-study/internship program at a recording studio downtown (music is a passion of mine) and they wouldn't allow that either so I bolted that place. Best decision I could have made at the time despite my following job doing cold call door to door sales for AT&T u-verse was awful and I made about $100 over the next 6 months.

If this vaccine mandate stuff costs me my job like I fear it will I'm not sure what I will do but it might be the right time to try to go work for a railroad like I've always dreamed.

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Re:Where do you work and what do you do?

Unread post by tsinoms »

tsinoms wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:13 pm
Middle School student. I do lots of stuff. Like Algebra!
Trev
I was in MIDDLE SCHOOL!? My god where has the time gone? Since then I have worked for the Kent County Road Commission, Meijer, Pizza Hut, USPS, and a small local graphics place called Gilson Graphics.
Now I have settled into what I hope is my last stop at Fedex Express. I work sorting packages coming in from businesses such as GM, Stryker, and Wolverine. We then load that onto planes and trucks going to Memphis, Indy, and Columbus. Never in my wildest dreams would I have said working around aircrafts would be my passion but here I am. I love what I do and the customers I serve.
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

I am a CNC Tech/Operator at SPI Blowmolding LLC in Coloma, MI. I have been there since July, 1997, though for a different company. It was the Blowmolding Division of Modern Plastics Corp. when I started there. MPC closed in August 2008, and SPI Industries bought the Blowmolding Division. The main MPC building still stands, though the roof is falling in, along North Shore Dr. in Benton Harbor.
I started out at MPC as press operator in 1997, and became a CNC Operator in 2001, and a tech in 2005.
https://moldedparts.com
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KVERBERK »

Medivac pilot for guardian flight in a PC12
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

ConductorBigShoe
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConductorBigShoe »

Did 8 years in the navy , tried my hand at IT work, hated it , and now am a Conductor/engineer for a regional railroad. Some of you have photographed me on the job but I still wish to remain anonymous

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

ConductorBigShoe wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:46 am
Did 8 years in the navy , tried my hand at IT work, hated it , and now am a Conductor/engineer for a regional railroad. Some of you have photographed me on the job but I still wish to remain anonymous
Don't be ashamed, :D you're among friends here.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

IT Director for a regional office products reseller. We're the guys with the lighthouse logo. Check your copy paper boxes we probably sell to whoever you work for.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

You both are at the right place to get expert advice from railfans how to run your railroads :lol:
M.D.Bentley wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:49 am
ConductorBigShoe wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:46 am
Don't be ashamed, :D you're among friends here.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

I write safety documentation (Technical Publisher) for Stanly Black+Decker.
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

I'm a senior in HS, but I worked at ACE hardware this past summer
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Wow this post is back alive again! I gave up the railroad full time and went to being a Heavy Equipment Operator doing water main work. Better home life, more $$. Still get my train fix doing track for a shortline on the side.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Micah_D
The Railroad Empire

Unread post by Micah_D »

I am a High School Sophomore who works part time at Menards in Wixom.