NMRA Train Show Shenanigans

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
rsinoms
Human Moose Elephant

NMRA Train Show Shenanigans

Unread post by rsinoms »

I was browsing facebook and BigFrank shared this link JT showed him... It is a video of producer Joe from Free Beer and Hot Wings Morning Show going nuts at the national train show for his prank of the week. This is only a week or two after that guy's remake of the heritage unit video went viral!!!

https://www.freebeerandhotwings.com/pg/ ... ce=message
You say trestle... I say Trussell!!!

J T
Hates Supper

Re: NMRA Train Show Shenanigans

Unread post by J T »

rsinoms wrote:I was browsing facebook and BigFrank shared this link JT showed him... It is a video of producer Joe from Free Beer and Hot Wings Morning Show going nuts at the national train show for his prank of the week. This is only a week or two after that guy's remake of the heritage unit video went viral!!!
Yeah, and when they were first making fun of the latest video, which they thought was real, I posted on their facebook page that it was a fake, and then included the link to the original excited guy from 6 months ago. The next day on the air they acknowledged that the one they thought was real was actually a fake.

Hell, CNN even did a story about the "fake" video! :lol:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

rsinoms
Human Moose Elephant

Unread post by rsinoms »

Glad to see some people finally got it right!!! WTG CNN *claps slowly* :lol: :lol: :lol:

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

He is right about being an embarrassment.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Small town media has always amused me.. :D

rsinoms
Human Moose Elephant

Unread post by rsinoms »

Typhoon wrote:Small town media has always amused me.. :D
Grand Rapids isn't really small town and Free Beer and Hot Wings is a nationally syndicated radio show.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

rsinoms wrote:Grand Rapids isn't really small town and Free Beer and Hot Wings is a nationally syndicated radio show.
I remember one of the stations in Flint (...or was it Detroit...? Definitely not Grand Rapids)introducing the Free Beer and Hot Wings show as their new morning show. I didn't know it was a syndicated show, but now it's all starting to make sense.
~ Charles W.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Free Beer and Hot Wings is too small market stick for Detroit - Flint and Lansing stations air it.

Grand Rapids might be big time in West Michigan, but its small potatoes in the media world.

Free Beer and Hot Wings might have a few affiliates but they are in really small markets like Rutland, Vermont and St. Cloud Minnesota.

The biggest market there in is Nashville, which is only 45th on Arbitron's list.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

GTW6401 wrote:Free Beer and Hot Wings is too small market stick for Detroit - Flint and Lansing stations air it.

Grand Rapids might be big time in West Michigan, but its small potatoes in the media world.

Free Beer and Hot Wings might have a few affiliates but they are in really small markets like Rutland, Vermont and St. Cloud Minnesota.

The biggest market there in is Nashville, which is only 45th on Arbitron's list.
Which is odd because the Grand Rapids metro is bigger than Lansing and Flint. I'm going to assume by your small potatoes comment that you're not in advertising, marketing or media. You wouldn't believe the success that Clear Channel, Townsquare and other big name media companies have had over here. It's a very hot and highly competitive market.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The stunt was very lame
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

AARR wrote:The stunt was very lame
Yes, it was. I want to make it clear that I'm in no way defending Free Beer and Hot Wings, I hate that show. :lol:
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

SD80MAC wrote:
GTW6401 wrote:Free Beer and Hot Wings is too small market stick for Detroit - Flint and Lansing stations air it.

Which is odd because the Grand Rapids metro is bigger than Lansing and Flint. I'm going to assume by your small potatoes comment that you're not in advertising, marketing or media. You wouldn't believe the success that Clear Channel, Townsquare and other big name media companies have had over here. It's a very hot and highly competitive market.
Shows like Free Beer and Hot Wings are small potatoes when you consider a national stage in syndication. They obviously did well in Grand Rapids or other stations wouldn't be interested in airing their show - but most of the bigger names that are syndicated across the country like Howard Stern and Sean Hanitty were on stations in NYC before going national, not Grand Rapids, Michigan.

There hasn't been much success in the radio business in the last few years with two of the largest companies, Citadel and Regent going into bankruptcy. Regent ended up becoming Townsquare after everything was sorted out in the bankruptcy and Citadel was sold off to Cumulus Media. Clear Channel lost 302 million dollars in 2011.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

SD80MAC wrote:
AARR wrote:The stunt was very lame
Yes, it was. I want to make it clear that I'm in no way defending Free Beer and Hot Wings, I hate that show. :lol:
I thought it was awesome, and I love the show...I listen to it every day and laugh my ass off. :D

Anyway, the other debate going on in this thread is silly. :P
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

SD80MAC wrote:

Grand Rapids is big time compared to Flint and Lansing, but its not nearly as big as the major metro areas such as Chicago, New York or Minneapolis/St. Paul. And there are several companies in the Grand Rapids area that have been quite successful on a national or global scale, not just marketing/advertising/etc companies. But given the number of companies that can afford to conduct a massive marketing campaign (not just US companies, but companies around the world), and the relatively small (comparative) number of media companies that can effectively handle those kinds of campaigns, it's not all that surprising that there would be a couple of companies like that in the Grand Rapids area. The characteristics of the area should help to draw high level creative types, plus the fact that the area is smaller than Detroit or Chicago, yet is within a half day's drive of either metro area should make it highly attractive to people with experience who don't care for the major metro area. Even though Michigan has taken quite a few economic hits over the last several years between the economy, NAFTA and every other foreign trade agreement in place, the state is still home to many major global companies which would provide a long list of clients for a marketing company (or several companies) that had the right talent and experience in place.
~ Charles W.

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

I get the Free Beer & Hotwings show up here in little Alpena, so they do go for the smaller towns.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

LSRC wrote:I get the Free Beer & Hotwings show up here in little Alpena, so they do go for the smaller towns.
Yep, and you can pick them up in every small town, village, township, etc., in a 40+ mile radius of Grand Rapids...so that is certainly true. :)

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

Listen to them in Manistee from 95.5 in Traverse City. If driving south in the morning I could get that station to around Pentwater and by then 97.9 in Grand Rapids would come in.

Here's a list of stations.
http://www.freebeerandhotwings.com/stat ... llStations
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

rsinoms wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Small town media has always amused me.. :D
Grand Rapids isn't really small town and Free Beer and Hot Wings is a nationally syndicated radio show.

Grand Rapids really is a small town, media wise. As to it being a syndicated show, you right it is. It plays in huge markets like, Flint, State College, Missoula, and St Cloud. In fact Nashville is the only town of real media substance that the show plays in.

rsinoms
Human Moose Elephant

Unread post by rsinoms »

Ok enough of the stupid debate... Grand Rapids is what it is the only point i was trying to make is that we are not Mayberry like some people think.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Typhoon wrote: Grand Rapids really is a small town, media wise.
You are correct. Now let's get back to the train geekery. :D