Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by Michael »

Back in 1978 when the photo was taken, these tracks crossed the road and meandered all the way to Lake Michigan.

JBaxter
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JBaxter »

Based on the last clue I would have to say its somewhere in west Michigan. Muskegon maybe?

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Forgot McD's was open for breakfast :D

edit: it's actually dinner time. It's been so long since I've seen a McDonalds doing that much business at dinner time.
One of the problems with research, things have a bad habit of changing over time.
Including the buildings, except the one in the back.

It's just off the Michigan Shore Railroad yard.
That's was google says. Google is wrong.

Dear google you have now obliterated your maps with labels.

Many are wrong, like at this place.
Many are not in the right place.
Many are useless. Detroit railroad diamond. There's more than one.
When people like me offer corrections you ignore them.
The local CVS store closed, you didn't accept my edit.
The local Huntington Bank closed, you didn't accept my edit.
Perhaps because you're being paid for those???
Last edited by DaveO on Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Dave is correct. It is Ludington. Although the line went to Sargent Sand till 83 or so.
https://www.abandonedrails.com/ludingto ... n-railroad

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Excellent picture to post. Even with DaveO's generous hints I would not have guessed this one.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

AARR wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:13 pm
Excellent picture to post. Even with DaveO's generous hints I would not have guessed this one.
I had considered Ludington but because so much has changed from the posted image, It didn't register as the location.
I reconsidered when he stated the line used to wander out to Lake Michigan.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

Michael wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:10 am
Dave is correct. It is Ludington. Although the line went to Sargent Sand till 83 or so.
https://www.abandonedrails.com/ludingto ... n-railroad
Yes indeed its Ludington looking south towards the correct rail yard Marquette Rail, not Michigan Shore RR in Ludington, Mason County. The road at the bottom of the above is US-10. The old McDonald's at the left (just east of the old Ludington & Northern RR line) is now Jimmy John's. Yes, still a McDonald's in Ludington. The current one is about a mile further east of the old one. As Michael mentioned. that rail line went up to the Sargent Sand Co. sandpit. The Lake Michigan Car ferry is about about two miles west of the above shot. Also, that rail line crossing US=10 had either just crossbucks signs or crossing signals.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

From 1974. This town once had both a North-South line and an East-West line and now nothing.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I’ve waited a long time for this…Manchester?
Michael wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:16 pm
From 1974. This town once had both a North-South line and an East-West line and now nothing.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Sorry. You will have to keep waiting.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Hudson?
AARR wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:05 pm
I’ve waited a long time for this…Manchester? Sorry. You will have to keep waiting.
Michael wrote:

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

AARR wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:54 pm
Hudson?
Bingo! You can see where the old bridge where the 2 lines crossed. That is completely gone now but just a little ways to the east is the historic stone arch LS&MS bridge over Bean Creek.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:54 pm
Hudson?
AARR wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:05 pm
I’ve waited a long time for this…Manchester? Sorry. You will have to keep waiting.
Michael wrote:
Yes indeed, it's Hudson, in Lenawee County, which is located on M-34 which is visible in the foreground in the above shot and US-127 which is to the left of the above shot not visible. The railroad line that cross M-34 was the old Cincinnati Northern RR now ripped up. That trackage ran between Van Wert, OH and Jackson. Passenger train service on that line was discontinued many years ago and the that north-south trackage itself was ripped up in 1976. Final run of the remaining passenger trains on the Old Road (old NYC) between Elkhart, IN and Toledo, OH with stop in Hudson was made on November 19, 1956. The Old Road tracks itself was ripped up between Clayton, MI and Osseo, MI in 1962.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

In Michigan.
Attachments
PMFerrysburgDepot[AlanLoftisColl].jpg

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It gives the location when the curser is hovered over the picture. I was going to guess Ashely which would have been wrong.
EWRice wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:44 pm
In Michigan.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:36 pm
It gives the location when the curser is hovered over the picture. I was going to guess Ashely which would have been wrong.
EWRice wrote:
In Michigan.
Lenawee Junction east of Adrian on the Old Road, ex LSMS RR.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

AARR wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:36 pm
EWRice wrote:
In Michigan.
That's interesting because that is nowhere near where the picture is listed as being taken. Multiple sources show this depot being much further west and north.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I'm going to throw out a guess of Ferrysburg, which is much further west of Ashley, but it's just south of Ashley, not north.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

Z is correct. This is looking north with the (still existing today) Pere Marquette tracks on the left and the Grand Trunk Western branching off to the right, most of which is gone except for a small section under US31. I'm not sure when this picture was taken so it could be in the C&WM and D,GH&M days. The signal on the far right says it was an early photo.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

EWRice wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:51 pm
Z is correct. This is looking north with the (still existing today) Pere Marquette tracks on the left and the Grand Trunk Western branching off to the right, most of which is gone except for a small section under US31. I'm not sure when this picture was taken so it could be in the C&WM and D,GH&M days. The signal on the far right says it was an early photo.
Yes, it's Ferrysburg in Ottawa County. Final run of the remaining old C&O Railway passenger trains between Holland and Muskegon with stops at Grand Haven and Muskegon Heights, were made on April 30, 1971.